Chiano/Ciano

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
pjcrenfield

Chiano/Ciano

Post by pjcrenfield »

Can anyone tell me if there is a connection between the Ciano/Chiano surnames? I have attempted some limited research and am having some trouble locating information on my surname (Chiano). Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
pjcrenfield

Re: Chiano/Ciano

Post by pjcrenfield »

Also, My grandparents from my mothers side are Ciampa and Fiore. The Ciampa side is from Avellino, I believe.
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Hi and welcome to the forum, :D

I have found Di Chiano and Lo Chiano in Italy, but no Chiano. These names occur more frequently in the north of Italy.

Ciano appears throught Italy and is common in Campania, where Avellino is.

Do you have ship's manifests or census records for your Chiano relative? That might help you trace the original spelling of the name. If you need help searching for the manifests or census records, let us know. If you provide us with more info we can better help. :lol:
pjcrenfield

Post by pjcrenfield »

Thank you for such a quick reply. :D If you have information regarding how to research census or ship manifest records, I would greatly appreciate it. I have read (and I have no idea if there is any truth to it) that Chiano was originally Ciano, but was altered/changed sometime around WWII to avoid any connection to Mussolini.

Thanks for your help.

Paul
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Here is the best place to start. This site is easy to use and you can search by many different categories. The more info you give the better you filter the results.

http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/EIDB/ellisgold.html

Here is the Ellis Island site. You must register, but there is no cost. You can also start your own file on this site.

http://www.ellisisland.org/default.asp? ... gAod0xWQGA