Contursi and Manzione

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
elton10

Contursi and Manzione

Post by elton10 »

I'm interested in contacting any of the Manzione family in Contursi or anyone who can give me information on that family. Im a descendant of Guiseppe Manzione who came from there and interested in tracing the family history a little further back.
My paternal grandmother was a Forlenza. I think there were some of them in Contursi as well as Coliano.
TIA
misbris
Master
Master

Re: Contursi and Manzione

Post by misbris »

Hi and welcome to a fellow Contursani, :wink:

There are over 200 people in Contursi Terme with the surname Forlenza and only 2 in Colliano, the neighboring town. What was your grandmother's given name or approximate date of immigration?

I believe you are also looking for immigration records for your grandfather and his brother. If you post what info you already have, members on this forum will be able to help you in your search.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

There are 6 persons surnamed Manzione (both business and residence) in Contursi. Go to www.paginebianche.it and put in Manzione in the first line and Contursi in the second line and click CERCA for the full names,addresses and telephone numbers. If you wish to write to them then you can send form letter to potential relatives (www.mangeruc a.com). =Peter=
elton10

Post by elton10 »

Peter
Thanks so much for the info. My Italian is almost non existent but Im guessing the link is the White Pages phone directory.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

and the www.mangeruca.com is replete with form letters in Italian language for potentisal relatives, documents from the Municipal offices, military records, churchletters along with appropriate addresses. The www.paginebianche.it is the telephone directory but is complete for an address for a letter and a telephone number if you feel brave enough see if they speak some english. In Italy english is the second language and students are obliged to take english as a foreign language. =Peter=
elton10

Post by elton10 »

Peter
I actually visited Contursi back in the early 60s and there were a few folks who spoke English we managed to understand each other. Im not sure Id be able to do it on an international phone call.
My father's side of the family here spoke almost no Italian since his father came to the US as a child. My mom spoke fairly good Italian since both her parents spoke limited English. I remember that she was more or less the translator between me and my paternal grandmother who spoke very little English.
Ive often wondered how Dad and Grandad and all my uncles and aunts communicated with Grandmom..She had died before I was about 10 so I really dont know
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

the 1960;s are 50 years ago!! Change is continual and since english is required as a second language, most likely more people understand it and speak english haltingly so a telephone call looks promising. =Peter=
DSLOAN

Re: Contursi and Manzione Forlenza

Post by DSLOAN »

Looking for information on Giacomo Forlenza from Contursi, born about 1875. Believe his parents were Antonio Forlenza and Maria Michele Bruscione
vj
Master
Master

Re: Contursi and Manzione Forlenza

Post by vj »

DSLOAN wrote:Looking for information on Giacomo Forlenza from Contursi, born about 1875. Believe his parents were Antonio Forlenza and Maria Michele Bruscione
Hello and Welcome to the Forum!
We would all be happy to help.
You may want to start your own post so your information doesn't get lost or mixed up with other families.
Just scroll down to the bottom of this post and click "new topic"
Are you looking for US or Italian records or both?
Who did Giacomo marry?
Siblings, children, ages and locations always help in the search.
Thank you!
Valarie
DSLOAN

Post by DSLOAN »

I am trying to establish dual citizenship.

My information is Giacomo or Giacomino (my maternal grandfather) was born in Contursi, 3/26/1872.
His parents were Antonio Forlenza and Maria Michele Bruscione. His siblings were Vicenza Forlenza and Guiseppe Forlenza.

He died in the us 12/13/1952.
He immigrated from Naples 2/12/1895 through Ellis Island.
He applied for naturalization 3/18/1929 but I don't know if he every became a citizen.
He married my grandmother, Alfonsa Colatrella born in Caposele, 4/28/1890.

All of their children were born in Staten Island. My mother was Florence Forlenza Cusick. Others were Joseph, Vincent, Daniel, Christy, Neil, Salvatore, Antonio, Vincenza, Jacob.
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »