Surname spelling help

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
adamf
Rookie
Rookie

Surname spelling help

Post by adamf »

I know some of you are especially good at correct surname spellings.

Thanks to the California death index, I have a new surname added to my database. But I would like to know if the spelling is close to accurate, as this death record is so far my only source. Based on the death record of Mariana Chiado Terando, I now know her mothers maiden name was Catherine Odonino.

Is Odonino the likely spelling?? I have also seen the spelling Oddenino in soundex searches. Based on her obituary, Catherine was born in Corio in Torino.

Thanks for all your help.

Adam
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Surname spelling help

Post by PeterTimber »

The base name for all the variations, derivations, alterations, abbreviations is ODDO.

This surname and all these various surnames derived from ODDO have surnames similar to Odonino. The closest is ODDENINO but there are none precisely spelled Odonino.

ODDENINO is listed in the Italiansurname dictionary among a litany of derivations and variations starting with Odello to Oddera.

Based upon this e vidence ODDENINO is the correct spelling. =Peter=
~Peter~
adamf
Rookie
Rookie

Post by adamf »

Thanks Peter. I knew you would have some insight for me.
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

There are 2 families with the name Oddenino in Corio, see http://www.paginebianche.it/execute.cgi ... &ind=&l=en
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Actually there are ODDENINO in 51 comune (towns in Italy and 49 are in the regions of Piemonte, Liguria with 2 comune (towns) in Lazio region. www.gens.labo.net/en/cognomi =Peter=
~Peter~
adamf
Rookie
Rookie

Post by adamf »

Recently got some new information about this ancestor of mine. According to an entry in her church death registry, her father was Bartolomeo Oddonin-Bettas. Her mother is listed as Anne Marie Chiado-Caponet.

Still not sure how Oddonin is correctly spelled. What is with the double last names?? Is this a regional thing? They are from Corio in Torino. And Caponet, sounds French. Torino is not far from France, so maybe.

I sent a letter out to Corio, so hopefully I hear back. In the meantime, I was just curious about the double names. I've run into that a couple times in this area of Italy.
uantiti
Elite
Elite

Post by uantiti »

The surname of your ancestor was most probably Oddenino Bettasso, as this surname exists in Corio.
Your ancestor mother's surname is Chiadò Caponet (Chiadò with accent on the "o") and exists in Corio too.
As far as I know, as I'm Piedmontese, the second surname was used to distinguish families having the same surnames. Often the second surname was a nickname which became officially a surname. Nicknames were usually indicating an occupation or a physical peculiarity or were simply a nickname.
Nicknames were often based on dialect words as people used to speak dialect rather than Italian in the past. The Piedmontese dialect, with all its variations, has been influenced by the French language and includes words similar to the French ones.

Ada
adamf
Rookie
Rookie

Post by adamf »

Thanks uantiti.

In my research, I haven't really come across the double name much in Italy except for in the Piedmont region. Is this a practice of the region, or of all Italy??
nightbird522

Post by nightbird522 »

Hi Adam,

I realize you posted about 10 years ago and may not check this or be looking into your family history anymore, but I believe we may have some shared history and was wondering if you had any further information. My great-great grandfather immigrated to the United States in Oct 1906, his last name was Oddenino-Bettas, which was changed to O'Donin once he was settled in the US. We also have some history of "Chiado". Anyways, just wondering if you had happened to gather any more information as I find myself at a bit of a standstill.

Thanks!
Melissa