Scalia

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
jescalia

Scalia

Post by jescalia »

I have been trying to find my Sicilian relatives. Everyone who might have given me information has died. My grandfather Ignazio (Ignacio?) Scalia was born in 1881 near Palermo, Sicily, and came to the U.S. in the early 1900s. My father was born in the U.S. in 1908. I have not found anything listed at Ellis Island. I would be grateful for any direction.

JS
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Scalia

Post by PeterTimber »

There are 6 Ignazio Scalia listed in the www.ellisisland,org website. Perhaps if you went thru the ships manifests you might see something to further identify your grandfather. The town of origin in Sicily is important and can be found in this website

You can also identify him if he passed on after 1963 in the social security death index...www.rootsweb.ancestry.com.

Since you say he was from a town in the province of Palermo go to www.nonsolocap.it and look down under sicily for palermo, click on Palermo and see the listings for all the town in Palermo province. =Peter=
~Peter~
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

If your grandfather was a tailor and lived in Brooklyn, this is a good candidate for his ship manifest.
1902 manifest
Name: Ignazio Scalia
Arrival Date: 5 Aug 1902
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1881
Port of Departure: Napoli
Ethnicity/Race­/Nationality: Italian
Ship Name: Sardegna
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Line: 5
Joining brother Filippo in New York
Last residence: Ribera

Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
eyetalgal
Veteran
Veteran

Post by eyetalgal »

The 1902 manifest lists his last residence as Ribera - which is in Agrigento province?
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Hi JS......we have a great team of researchers here at IG!!

Can you provide a few more details, which will help members track the family in records.

Where in the US did the family reside? Your fathers name and any other siblings, spouse's name, maiden surname if you know it, and birth dates or year for all.

wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
jescalia

Post by jescalia »

Thank you so much for the leads.

The 3 brothers were born and grew up in Brooklyn, NY. My father, Joseph, was born in 1908 and died in 1965. He married my mother Francesca Tucci. Uncle Tommy (Gitano?) was born in 1910 and died in 1992. He married my mother's sister Anna Tucci. I know the least about Uncle Frank who was born in 1920, served in the U.S. Army and died in 1992. My paternal grandmother's name was Rose Azzora.

I did find some info on the Mormon site and the listing Ellis Island for Ignacio, tailor, age 21 who came in 1902, is probably my grandfather. The manifest said that he was coming to join his brother Fillipo. I don't know anything about brothers or sisters my grandfather might have had, so I can't be sure it is him.

JS
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Perhaps if you took the time to read about doing your own italian genealogy research http://www.angelfire.com/ok/pearlsofwis ... earch.html

This will familiarize you with what your genealogy is about and what questions to ask and how to interpret the answers you get from people here who are eager to assist you. There are all sorts of information, form lettersd in Italian and addresses that will open up your family history easily and back to 1800 with minimal effort. =Peter=
~Peter~
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Hi Jescalia,

can you tell us if this 1920 census is correct for your family?

1920 United States Federal Census
about Ignazio Scallia
Name: Ignazio Scallia
Home in 1920: Manhattan Assembly District 12, New York, New York
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Head
Spouse's Name: Rose
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Sex: Male
Home owned: Rent
Year of Immigration: 1902
Able to read: Yes
Able to Write: Yes
Image: 602
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Ignazio Scallia 39 born in IT, occupation Taylor
Rose Scallia 32 born in IT
Joseph Scallia 12 born in NY
Tom Scallia 8 born in NY
Frank Scallia 2 born in NY

address: 305 East 28th street, Manhattan...

Year of immigration 1902 matches with the arrival manifest posted by Biff .... :D

I don't know if you have the subcsription to the site Ancestry.com, in case tell me if you need the census image... I can post it...

Laura
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

From the (free) site http://www.italiangen.org/VRECLIST.stm
these are the marriage dates for Ignazio and Rose (in case you don't have them)

Last name: Schia
Name: Ignazio
Marriage date: Jul 22 1906
County: Kings
Certificate number: 6499

bride was:

Last name: Aggaro
Name: Rose
Marriage date: Jul 22 1906
County: Kings
Certificate number: 6499

Sure their lat names were mispelled... :wink:

Laura
jescalia

Post by jescalia »

Laura,

I just signed back on here after a short hiatus and boy am I delighted... There in the 1920 census are my grandparents, my father and my uncles! And Grandma Rose's last name! Thank you so much. I am doing more research now in the hope of getting my family back to Sicily for a visit, maybe next summer.

Thank you again...

J
jescalia

Post by jescalia »

pink67 wrote:Hi Jescalia,

can you tell us if this 1920 census is correct for your family?

1920 United States Federal Census
about Ignazio Scallia
Name: Ignazio Scallia
Home in 1920: Manhattan Assembly District 12, New York, New York
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Head
Spouse's Name: Rose
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Sex: Male
Home owned: Rent
Year of Immigration: 1902
Able to read: Yes
Able to Write: Yes
Image: 602
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Ignazio Scallia 39 born in IT, occupation Taylor
Rose Scallia 32 born in IT
Joseph Scallia 12 born in NY
Tom Scallia 8 born in NY
Frank Scallia 2 born in NY

address: 305 East 28th street, Manhattan...

Year of immigration 1902 matches with the arrival manifest posted by Biff .... :D

I don't know if you have the subcsription to the site <a href="/http://www.jdoqocy.com/click-3166187-10456885" TARGET="_blank">Ancestry.com</a>, in case tell me if you need the census image... I can post it...

Laura
Brava! The information is correct!

Thank you.
J
carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

Your GF was Ignazio Giovanni Maria Scalia, born 30 Mar 1881 in Ribera, which is in Agrigento, not Palermo, province. His wife was Rosa, his son Giuseppe (your father) was born 5 Aug 1907 in Brooklyn, and another son, Gaetano (Thomas) was born 12 Dec 1910 in Brooklyn.

Ignazio's parents were Giuseppe Scalia and Giuseppa Parisi. Giuseppe's grandmother was Leonarda Carubia, my great-great-great-great aunt (making us 5th cousins). I have extensive records on that part of the Scalia family, as well as thousands of other relatives from Ribera.

I know of several sisters for Ignazio: Concetta, Leonarda Filippa Antonia, and Spina Maria Grazia Accursia (they sure liked to give lots of middle names; did they run out by the time Concetta was born?), but no brother Filippo, although I haven't looked for his birth record yet.

It sounds like his wife's name was Rosa Azzara. There was one born in 1888 who might be her, and it would make sense since her father was Gaetano, the same name as Ignazio's 2nd son (the 1st being named after his father). If so I have a lot of records on her as well, she being the granddaughter of my great-great-great aunt Maria Filippa Carubia, making us 4th cousins as well.
jescalia

Post by jescalia »

Carubia, I had almost forgotten my inquiry here until I got an emaile that there was a response. Your information is correct. There was a third and son, Frank Scalia. I recently reconnected with his wife Anna, who is still alive and my cousins Roseann and Frank. Last year I visited Sicily and came within sight of Ribera but was unable to stop there, making a note to return on my next visit, if ever.

You certainly have more information about the Scalias than I do. I wasn't aware that my grandfather had any siblings. Unfortunately anyone who might have been able to help is long gone.

I would love to follow up with you. Regards, 4th cousin Joe
carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

I saw Frank in the census records, too, but your father and uncle Tom were listed on your GF's petition for naturalization. From that I can see that you are in fact an Italian citizen, as would be your wife (assuming you married before Apr 1983) and children and their descendants.

Assuming I'm right about the identity of your GM, I'm actually your 3rd cousin, once removed, but you're my 4th, also once removed, since you're one generation older than me.

I've been meaning to visit Ribera, myself. The closest I've gotten is Agrigento (the city).
carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

Joe,

I just found a brother for your GF named Francesco, born in 1863. Since your GF's parents were married in 1861 and your GF was born in 1881, one would expect that he'd have a lot of older siblings. (The 3 sisters I knew about were all younger.) I would expect him to have older brothers Francesco and Pietro and an older sister Giuseppa, with perhaps another older sister Spina or Grispina who died in childhood. (His younger sister Spina died on the ship coming over.) Ignazio and his sister Concetta were named after their mother's siblings, who themselves were named after their grandparents. His sister Leonarda was named after her aunt on her father's side, who was named after my aforementioned great-great-great-great aunt. However, neither of Ignazio's parents appear to have had a brother Filippo, so his name is a bit of a mystery.

BTW, your GF had a 1st cousin named Pietro Cina', who was the father of Antonina Cina, a person that someone on this board was researching. Your GM's grandmother was either Vita or Rosa Scardamaglia from Palermo, so maybe you're related to forum member Adelfio, too.