Surname questions

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
taxi55
Veteran
Veteran

Surname questions

Post by taxi55 »

Hi, I just found another name in my family tree - D'UrsoSimonetti - and it has thrown me because I never heard it before (but I am also excited to have another name!) From another thread I posted http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/Foru ... 12790.html
it was determined that Camilla D'UrsoSimonetti was married to Constantino Cantasano in Craco - so I am assuming her family was from there. Not really sure what these documents say or are about other than the info from the thread.

Does anyone know if this is really a name (I guess it is, but doesn't it look like it might be two combined?) Or from where this surname originates?

Is there any additional info on the files in the above thread that could possibly point me in the right direction (yes - I know they are small and low-level quality - but that is what was emailed to me) :( I have the Craco comune info to write to, but would love additional info about this surname or the files. Anything you can share is much appreciated!

Thanks so much for all your input since I started researching last month! Your knowledge (and sharing of that knowledge) is amazing...
Sophia
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Re: Surname questions

Post by wldspirit »

Not found in the database of Italian surnames, more than likely two
separate surnames.

http://www.gens.labo.net/it/cognomi/genera.html

wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Further info on the town of origin:

Craco

also, checked another database of surnames specific to the region,
they appear as separate surnames, but not as one.

Out of curiosity I also checked the following site:

Pagine

and nothing showed up in the province or region.

wldspirit

taxi55
Veteran
Veteran

Post by taxi55 »

Thanks Wildspirit!

Cool links. Would you know what is the italian history or reasoning for why/how two names become combined?

Also - would you know what are the meanings of D'Urso and Simonetti (I am assuming those are the correct combinations?) It's funny - all the other family names I am researching are very common and easy to find. This one - not so much...
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Heading out right now for more remodeling work, if another member has not gotten to this, I'll post late this evening....
wldspirit

wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Cool links
Thanks....I like providing links rather than just the information only, half the fun is exploration and discovery!! It's also a great learning tool for those new to research.
Would you know what is the Italian history or reasoning for why/how two names become combined?
Maybe one of our Italian posters can shed some light on the subject. I do know that it is a common trait for Spanish surnames to be combined.

If you go to this LINK , read page 28 and 29 of Trafford R. Cole's book:
Italian Genealogical Records, (which is a great book, an easy read.)
He gives some good insight into why 2 surnames may appear, and again
on page 103.
would you know what are the meanings of D'Urso and Simonetti
No...but again, one of our other posters may be able to provide this info.
I can look into a few databases and see if there is anything there to relate.
wldspirit

wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

From the following SITE, you can find both surnames listed, although it is in Italian.....if you don't read Italian, you can use Babelfish for a very loose translation..... :wink:

wldspirit

taxi55
Veteran
Veteran

Post by taxi55 »

Hey there Wldspirit,
Heading out right now for more remodeling work
How did the remodeling go?

Once again - great links! Those book pages offered interesting insight into the whole naming process. (Although the site woudln't let me access page 103 - what's up with that?) At least now I know to be on the look-out for various options while researching that family line - thanks to you.
.I like providing links rather than just the information only, half the fun is exploration and discovery!! It's also a great learning tool for those new to research.
I agree - what a great learning tool - and fun! I'm sure your days are busy however, if you ever see a post of mine and have some insight and "links" to share - please do. I enjoy enhancing my limited genealogy knowledge. :)

Thanks again,
Sophia
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

How did the remodeling go?
This is our second home in two years, both of which were completely redone....and our last rodeo!!! :lol:
I'm exhausted.....should be done by the end of the month, although that's what we thought last month.....my boys are already talking about flipping the house and going for a third.....their crazy if they think I'm doing this ever again!!! When we finally get to move into the house, (sometime in this millennium hopefully) that's it for me, I'm done!!

I do have a work in progress of nothing but genealogy links, hundreds of them that I have amassed over the years, most of which contain actual indexes and records. Maybe I can actually get that done in the next millennium to.... :P

For a sneak peek at the unfinished site:

Ancestral Paths

Lee

vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

wldspirit wrote:I do have a work in progress of nothing but genealogy links, hundreds of them that I have amassed over the years, most of which contain actual indexes and records. Maybe I can actually get that done in the next millennium to.... :P

Ancestral Paths

Lee
wldspirit,
Thanks for posting the link to your new website.
It's beautifully designed and easy to navigate.
You have quite a few links that I hadn't seen before.
Thank you!
Valarie
taxi55
Veteran
Veteran

Post by taxi55 »

Hi Lee,
This is our second home in two years, both of which were completely redone....and our last rodeo!!!
I'm exhausted.....
I'm exhausted just thinking about it ...but it sounds exciting!
When we finally get to move into the house, (sometime in this millennium hopefully) that's it for me, I'm done!!
That's what you say now... we shall see ... :)
This is great! I did not know about all of these sites - AND - that Italian proverb page was fantastic! Brought back so many great family memories - I couldnt' stop laughing. :lol:

Thanks for sharing! Enjoy your weekend,
Sophia
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

This is great! I did not know about all of these sites
Thank you, as I said...a work in progress. Still a couple hundred more links to add..... 8O
It's beautifully designed and easy to navigate.
VJ.....that's exactly what I was going for.... :D
Easy navigation!! Great to know I'm headed in the right direction!!
That's what you say now... we shall see
Trust me.....my husband would be the one to flipp if I even mention
moving again!!

Have a great weekend!!
Lee

jar9346

Post by jar9346 »

I just read your older post about D'Ursosimonetti from Craco. My grandmother was Porzia D'Ursosiminetti, daughter of Carmina D'Ursosimonetti, boith of whom lived in Craco. Do you have any other information about your ancestor? Clearly with the same last name and the same village they are related.
taxi55
Veteran
Veteran

Post by taxi55 »

Hi! The only additional information I have is that Camilla D'UrsoSimonetti's parents were: Domenico (b. ABT 1819, d. BEF 1865) and Angela Maria Pignataro (b. ABT 1820). I was able to obtain this information by reaching out to the Craco Society and providing them with information I had already researched. Do you know who Carmina's parents were?
jar9346

Post by jar9346 »

Carmina's parents were Nicola D'Ursosimonetti and Isabella Salamone.