village/town in L'Aquila ??

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
smsaether

village/town in L'Aquila ??

Post by smsaether »

I would appreciate any help in determining the name of the village/town on the arrival manifest for Luigi Marchesani, New York on September 6,1905, Ship Prinz Adalbert from Naples.
It had been translated as Poirevecctria (Aquila) by the Ellis Island group, but I contacted the US Board on Geographic Names for Italy and they tell me there is no such place.
If someone could please look at the manifest and tell me what they see as the name of the village/town, please.
On Ancestory, this was the web link. It can be obtained at the Ellis Island web site also with Luigi Marchesani.
http://content.ancestry.com/iexec/?htx= ... 4032131622

Thank you for any help.
vj
Master
Master

Re: village/town in L'Aquila ??

Post by vj »

smsaether

Post by smsaether »

Yes, this is the same manifest. We're still trying to determine the name of this village. I thought it might possibly be a T not a P, but again no town with this name is found in Aquila. Thank you for your insight.
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Hi :D

I believe the correct place is Torrevecchia Teatina (Chieti Province - Abruzzo region).
I noticed that Luigi was joining his uncle Sbaraglio Angelantonio...
So, possible this is the 1903 arrival manifest for Angelantonio Sbaraglio, from Torrevecchia Teate. (now Torrevecchia Teatina)

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0030

Laura
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Hi!
Here's the same manifest from ancestry. com

Do you have Luigi or his uncle's other records in the US?
Did he naturalize?
Thanks! Valarie

5 Sep 1905, SS Prinz Adalbert, Naples to NY
line 20
Luigi Marchesani 20 (abt 1885)
- single
- last residence _orrevecchia (Aquila)
- destination Phila Pa
- passage paid by uncle
- joining uncle Angelantonio Sbaraglio at 914 S 8th Street

(Hi Laura :D , neat manifest)
smsaether

Post by smsaether »

You all have been so very helpful!! Thank You. Although I have been doing genealogy for a long time, this is my first attempt in Italy. I was trying to find information for the "Uncle", but I had not yet been able to decipher his name. Thank you for that translation...Angelantonio Sbaraglio. No other documents have been located for Luigi other than the 1910 cenus when he turns up in Rocky Mount North Carolina of all places!! I don't know if there is a PA state census, but he arrives in Sept 1905 so he probably missed it if there was. I have found no naturalization yet.. No clue as to when he first gets to NC. But he is married with a 2 mth old son (Marchesain spelling). We will now try and track information for this ancestor in PA.
The thing that bothers me about the Torrevecchia Teatina in Chieti Province, Abruzzo region is that the manifest for Luigi does have "(Aquila)". I don't know why this province would have been noted then. Any thoughts on this?
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

You're welcome!

I believe he declared Aquila maybe because this town is the main city of the Region Abruzzo....
Every Region here is divided into provinces.. but however it does exist also a Main Town for the Region... so Abruzzo region is divided into 4 provinces but L'Aquila is the main Town...

I found a document on this freee site http://search.labs.familysearch.org/rec ... tml#p=home
I don't know if it could be related to your search but in the doubt I prefere to post it so you can think about it:

[img=http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/3803 ... 358.th.jpg]

It's a death certificate for James Howard Dickens, on 15 Oct 1918, age 2m 15d, (birth date 25 Jul 1918) his mother is Maud Marchasin, father not known.
Place of death No. 12, Edgecombe, North Carolina
I can't decipher the other handwritten on the certificate....

As I noticed that Luigi's wife's name on the 1910 census is Maud (born in N. Carolina) I thought to point you the document.... :)

And... possible Luigi had another uncle in the U.S because I found that Angelantonio at the time of his arrival stated he was joining his brother Daniele. Here is the arrival manifest for Daniele Sbaraglio (coming from Torrevecchia):

New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
about Daniele Sbaraglia
Name: Daniele Sbaraglia
Arrival Date: 14 Apr 1902
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1876
Port of Departure: Napoli
Ethnicity/Race­/Nationality: Italian
Ship Name: Trojan Prince
Search Ship Database: Search the Trojan Prince in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Line: 8
Microfilm Serial: T715
Microfilm Roll: T715_267
Page Number: 144

[img=http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/9317 ... ele.th.jpg]

Hope this help you!

Laura
smsaether

Post by smsaether »

I cann't seem to find this Sbaraglio Angelantonio on Ancestry. First name Angelantonio? He was not in the 1910 census?? I'm coming up blank here.
smsaether

Post by smsaether »

Laura, that's the right family!!!! You got it. Maud Etta Dickens is the "wife" of Luigi.. But Luigi disappears in NC, and no documents are found for him. OK, so we have an uncle..."Sbaraglia" I guess from Luigi's mother's side.
Thank you for the insight on the provinces and regions. I need to look more at the background of all this. So you think he put down the main town of the Region... not the province he was from. hummm? So far I cannot find the Sbaraglia family in PA. still looking.
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Maybe the Sbaraglios went back to Italy.... :?

Considering that Luigi's occupation on the 1910 census was Taylor, what about these following censuses?:

1920 United States Federal Census
about Louis J Marchesani
Name: Louis J Marchesani
[Louis J Marsh??]
Home in 1920: Bethlehem Ward 6, Northampton, Pennsylvania
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1884
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Head
Spouse's Name: Ida B
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Mother's Birth Place: France
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Sex: Male
Home owned: Rent
Year of Immigration: 1905
Able to read: Yes
Able to Write: Yes
Image: 550
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Louis J Marchesani 36 head, born in IT, year of immigr. 1905, occupation Taylor
Ida B Marchesani 35 wife, born in NY

1930 United States Federal Census
about Louis Marchesani
Name: Louis Marchesani
Home in 1930: Albany, Albany, New York
View Map
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1886
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Head
Spouse's Name: Ida

Education:

Military service:

Rent/home value:

Age at first marriage:

Parents' birthplace: View image
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Louis Marchesani 44 head, born in IT, occupation Taylor
Ida Marchesani 44

And, his military enlistment for the First World War:

World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918
about Louis Jerome Marchesani
Name: Louis Jerome Marchesani
County: Northampton
State: Pennsylvania
Birth Date: 3 Sep 1883
Roll: 1907408
DraftBoard: 4

Occupation Taylor
unfortunately no place of birth listed, only Italy....

[img=http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/1679/m ... wwi.th.jpg]

Laura
smsaether

Post by smsaether »

Laura,
Nice Work!! These look very very promising. I was thinking that Louis (Luigi) went back to PA after living in Rocky Mount NC for a few years. He is found on the 1910 census with Maud in RM, NC, but then disappears. She is not with him in 1918 when she has a child (father unknown). I figured he left town...back to PA. That 1920 census could be Luigi with a new wife Ida. This needs to be investigated for sure. In 1930, the year of arrival is given as 1915...but I think that might have been a mistake and maybe the year of Papers Applied for Naturalization might have been given instead. I will have to track that down. I would have never thought of Albany New York! If this is indeed Luigi, then I've been searching in the wrong part of the country! New York vs North Carolina. Yikes. Well, I called the LDS and they do have records for Torrevecchia Teatina for 1809-1900. Maybe I'll get lucky and find a birth record for Luigi around 1884. As to the Sbaraglios... who knows, I don't find Angelo or Daniel. I had thought that Sbaraglio was Luigi's mother's family (going to live with his "Uncle")... but the 1920 and 1930 say his mother was French. That wouldn't be French.
You have been more than helpful and I know how much this took from your day. I do appreciate the work and effort put in to help me with this search. I have lots of new clues to work with. The genealogy community is just wonderful!!!!
Susanne
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

You're welcome Susanne.... :D
Yes, you now have a lot of "stuff" to be studied....
However you're lucky because as you told, the Mormons filmed the civil registrations for Torrevecchia and as you have also a possible date of birth (September 3, 1883) it must be easy to find the birth certificate....
I also noticed that Louis had a SSDI:

Social Security Death Index
about Louis Marchesani
Name: Louis Marchesani
SSN:
Last Residence: 12210 Albany, Albany, New York, United States of America
Born: 3 Sep 1883
Died: Jan 1966
State (Year) SSN issued: New York (Before 1951)

Maybe you can request a copy of Louis original Social security application, were you'll find these dates:

from Ancestry.com:

The application form (SS-5) contains the following information:

Full name
Full name at birth (including maiden name)
Present mailing address
Age at last birthday
Date of birth
Place of birth (City, county, state)
Father's full name "regardless of whether living or dead"
Mother's full name, including maiden name, "regardless of whether living or dead"
Sex and race
Ever applied for SS number/Railroad Retirement before? Yes/No
Current employer's name and address
Date signed
Applicant's signature

And about Angelantonio Sbaraglio, maybe he was an uncle from his father's side... husband of Louis's father's sister?

Good luck with your search!

Laura
smsaether

Post by smsaether »

Yep, I saw that social security document and thought exactly the same. I'll bet he just put "Italy" on it, but obtaining all documents is always the goal. The letter will go out today!
Your right of course about Sbaraglio...had to be a sister's husband!
I've got the film number (1424086) for the LDS film for Torrevecchia, covers 18878-1890. Will need to order it and search for Luigi. Fingers crossed there!!
Mean time I'm searching down his 1st wife (maybe they were married, maybe not..always wondered what got Luigi to NC, strange place for him to go) Maud Etta Dickens. She had three children with Luigi...they were all adopted out in North Carolina. Geneva Annie and James went to the William Modlin family. and oldest Louis Raymond went to L.G. Perry of Oxford, NC. He used Raymond and went into the Army. (no info on Raymond though). Interesting that Maud named two sons James. This one was born 9 Dec 1916 then disappears...although family say he went into the Navy. The other was for the death cert you found with "father unknown" born James Howard Dickens on 25 July 1918. She used her maiden name. That child dies 15 Oct 1918. Maud goes on and marries James Price in 1920 and has four more children. Luigi is out of the picture by early 1918 or 1917. He's back in Bethlehem PA by Sept 1918 according to that WWI registration card found. Married Ida B. someone... in PA or in NC..probably PA. Hope to pick up his death record in Albany NY.
Interesting story isn't it.
Thank for climbing this family tree with me.
Regards,
Susanne