Surnames

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
sal4
Veteran
Veteran

Surnames

Post by sal4 »

I have been re-searching our surname of Iasalvatore and I have found that it is usually not on any surname list and I have checked quiet a few........Is Iasalvatore that unusual of a last name.........My family is from Piedimonte D'Alfie (Caserta) Italy........Thanks.......Sal4
Looking for surnames Iasalvatore (Salvatore), Tartaglia, Rosetta, Consola, Di Muccio, Castellano, Montanaro, Dipaolo, Costa, Sansone, Giudicianni and Laudato.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Surnames

Post by PeterTimber »

There are 4 city,town or village (3 in Northern Campania and 1 in Rome ) with persons surnamed Iasalvatore which appears to be local in origin since it does not appear inthe Italian surname dictionary as a base name or variant. The www.gens.labo.net/em/cognomi can give you the distribtuion in Italy for the Iasalvatore surname in the event this site escaped your attention.

If you go to www.familysearch.org under inthe USA under social security death index. =Peter=
~Peter~
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

Iasalvatore is an unusual name. As per the surname search engine at www.gens.labo.net , Iasalvatore appears in 4 comuni today. As per the surname search engine at www.italia.indettaglio.it , those 4 comuni are Piedimonte Matese (40 individuals), Roma (5), Casandrino (3), and Alife (3). Clearly the surname is indigenous to Caserta and, in particular, Piedimonte Matese. I suspect that the individuals in the other 3 comuni originated in Piedimonte Matese at some point in time.
John Armellino
sal4
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sal4 »

Hi Peter........Why is the surname not in the Surname dictionary?......I have gone to the Family Search.org and my grandfather is the only one with the last name of Iasalvatore on the SS death index....(I do have to order microfilm to search our family).....I have had a hard time trying to locate his brothers & sisters.....I only know for sure of a sister Rose and I have not found her ships manifest, only her death certificate and think I may of found a brother & a nephew in New York..........I do understand that our name was shortened to Salvatore, but I just wonder why its so hard to search with the real spelling of our last name............Thanks...Sa4
Looking for surnames Iasalvatore (Salvatore), Tartaglia, Rosetta, Consola, Di Muccio, Castellano, Montanaro, Dipaolo, Costa, Sansone, Giudicianni and Laudato.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi,
Iasalvatore surname was and is present in Piedimonte D'Alife from long time: from 1754...!!!!
http://digilander.libero.it/mgiugliano/ ... 01754.html
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Because the surname is local in origin or imported from abroad and italianized which is why I checked it in Mormon surname research for a foreign root of some sort. The italian surname dictionary only contains Italian surnames based upon historical, religious and imported roots that have been italianized and distributed thruout Italy with variations, alterations, derivations and abbreviations more pronounced in one area of Italy or another. Local surnames are usually loca lin origin such as Iasalvatore which may or may not have Italian roots or based upon a first name or nickname. I myself have immediate family with a definite French name that has been italianized. We suspect that during Napoleon occupation of parts of Italy a soldier broke away and settled in Italy where my family originated. =Peter=
~Peter~
sal4
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sal4 »

Thank you all for the information........This is all very interesting and I look forward to more searching .....Everyday I learn something new and I find it all so exciting to learn about my family name & it's history.........Thank you all again..........Without this forum I would not know as much as I do about my family and my husbands family..........Sal4