Corsentino and Aloisio

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
TrevaCarsten

Corsentino and Aloisio

Post by TrevaCarsten »

Hello,
My name is Treva Carsten, I have been working on my family history for the past four years. My mother was of french and american indian, so her side is fairly easy to find info on. As for my father's side, well I have come to a crashing hault. I can find living relatives, but I can't seem to go past my great-great grandparents.

My 2x's great grandfather was Giovanni (John in America) Corsentino, born between 1873 and 1874 in Cucia, Palermo. He married Francesca Aloisio (Alessi, Aluisa, Aliosia, etc). I have that she was born 1874? or 1876 in Roccamessa or Roccalumera, Sicily. They had 8 children after coming to the US. They were all born in New Iberia, Louisiana, (Joseph 1900, Anthony 1902, Virginia 1904, Ignacio 1906, Michael 1908, Morris 1911, Lawrence 1912 and Frank 1916).

In America they lived in Rockford, Winnebago County, Illinois. I have heard stories that Francesca died in a mental institution there in 1933. During prohibition Giovanni and this kids moved to California and a few of the sons ran stills for the mob and later changed their name to Carsten. Giovanni died somewhere in Los Angeles County before 1945.

Giovanni also had a few siblings some stayed in Sicily while others stayed in the Louisiana and Alabama areas. I heard from a cousin that one of his brothers names was Charlie (not very Italian, I know) and he had a half sister Virginia (Vincenza) who married Joseph Bondi.

Can anyone help me find or send me in a direction that will help me trace my family back further than Giovanni and Francesca?

Anything would be gratly appreciated! Thank you,

Treva Carsten
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Corsentino and Aloisio

Post by PeterTimber »

There is no cucia and there is no roccamessa. There is a Roccalumera.
Go to http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofws ... earch.html for conducting your own genealogy.

You canalso request Birth.marriage or death in Roccalumera by sending form letter in italian from http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... tters.html

There is no charge for requesting any records. When asking for a birth record use ESTRATTO DI NASCITA (long form for more info). Put in name and date or year or approximate year of birth.

Mail the form letter to Uffico di Stato civile. You can locate the address by going to www.nonsolocap.it and put in Roccalumera in the top and click CERCA and when zip code, town name,province intiials and region in Sicily . Click on the

Roccalumera name and go to the middle of the page where it says Municipio. =Peter=
~Peter~
TrevaCarsten

Post by TrevaCarsten »

Thanks for your reply. I have was told cucia by one of the oldest sons boys. I double checked the back of that photo and it only has Giovanni was born in 1873 an arrived in America in 1893. The other state(city, idk) mentioned was Chiusa Schafoni, so I may have had the spelling wrong?.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

In Italy there are cities,towns and villages with their own zip codes and are called comune's and as towns grew they absorbed surrounding hamlets,villages and outlying dictricts which became part of the larger city,/town and became neighborhoods called "FRAZIONI". It may be that the names you mention are Frazioni but then you have to know the province where the townis located and then search out the frazioni and the town itslelf. There is a town called CHIUSA SCLAFANI.

www.prontoimprese.it is an italian website. go down to the left side and where it says Sicilia click on Sicilia for all towns in Siciy and see if any of the towns are mentioned. =Peter=
~Peter~
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

To find Chiusa Sclafani go to www.nonsolocap.it and put in on the top CHIUSA SCLAFANI, click CERCA and when the zip code, Chiusa Sclafani , provincial initials and region shows iup then click on Chiusa Sclfani name with the arrow and up will come the page for that town. Scroll down to Municipio and that is the address for the Uffico di Stato Civile to obtain documents. =Peter=
~Peter~