Grandfather is Joseph Stozzetto Sauro or Joseph Stozzetto?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
JudyAnn54

Grandfather is Joseph Stozzetto Sauro or Joseph Stozzetto?

Post by JudyAnn54 »

Good Morning,
I am a new member. I've been doing genealogy for a few months now. I'm trying to obtain more information on my maternal grandfather, Joseph Stozzetto. He was born on November 11, 1902 in Naples, Italy and passed away on May 26, 1973 in the USA.

I obtained a copy of my grandfather's social security application which was very surprising to me. His first name was typed out as Joseph which is correct and then his middle name typed out was Stozzetto and his last name typed out was Sauro. He even signed the social security application, Joseph Sauro.

His parents names are Carlo Stozzetto and Concetta Saputo (maiden name).

I've always known him as Joseph Stozzetto and his death record is Joseph Stozzetto. I'm not sure which was his real name now.

Could the social security administration made a mistake in typing out his application?

I eventually would like to obtain his birth record from Italy and find out any more information on his parents. Where can I go to find that out?

Thank you so much for your help.

Judy Lawson Waldron
Veronesi-Guardini
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Grandfather is Joseph Stozzetto Sauro or Joseph Stozzett

Post by Veronesi-Guardini »

Hi Judy

I have a similar story to this. My great great grandfather was Luigi Veronesi-Guardini. His brother was Illuminato Veronesi Domenico. There father was Illuminato Guardini!

The two brothers were both volunteers in the Garabaldi campaigns. Yet on the memorial wall, one is Luigi Veronesi-Guardini, and the other is Illuminato Veronesi

The added names may derive from a place of birth, residence, other family name or proffesion. For example, here, the Veronesi is connected with a person from Verona

There is a town called Sauro in Sicily. Is there any family connection with there? I know its a long way from Naples...
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Hello!
Here's a possible marriage record:
Valarie

Stozzette Giuseppe Jan 19 1925 Manhattan 4889

Ordering NYC Vital Records
New York City Archives
---

If you haven’t used these, they may help you locate New York City records:
from NYC records by the Italian Genealogical Group
http://www.italiangen.org/
Dr Steve Morse One Step Search Pages for New York
NY Naturalization
NYC Birth Records 1891-1902 (requires ancestry. com subscription)
NYC Groom Index 1864-1936
NYC Bride Index ????-1937
NYC Death Records 1891-1948
JudyAnn54

Post by JudyAnn54 »

I have no idea if there is any family connection to anyone in Sauro, Sicily. Both of my parents and all of my grandparents passed away so there's really no one to ask now.

I didn't even realize that there was a city called Sauro in Sicily. :) Thank you so much for bringing that to my attention. :)

I appreciate you trying to help though. :) Thank you. :)

Judy Lawson Waldron
JudyAnn54

Re: Grandfather is Joseph Stozzetto Sauro or Joseph Stozzetto?

Post by JudyAnn54 »

Well, ten years later, I received an email from familysearch.org saying that they wanted me to see my grandmother, Helen Jaeger 1894 ancestor. I clicked on her and clicked on her timeline. It said that according to a 1930 United States Census, her name is Helen Sauro. I clicked on review and attach. According to Census, she was married to Joseph Sauro (my grandfather also known Joseph Stozzetto) and that according to their records he was born in 1903 instead of 1902. It's definitely my maternal grandparents. Their child is Anna M. Sauro which is my mom. According to the census she was born in 1930. According to her birth records she was born in 1929. She was probably under a year old which is why they entered 0 as her age in the census. I could focus on continuing to do this which could take up a lot of my time or I could spend time with God, my family and friends. I choose the later. :)

Take care everyone!

Judy
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Judy what is Anna married name and were she married and lived at?

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Send for his Naturalation papers
Giuseppe Stozzetto
in the New York, New York County Supreme Court Naturalization Petition Index, 1907-1924

New York, New York County Supreme Court Naturalization Petition Index, 1907-1924
Text-only collection
Add alternate information
Report issue
Name: Giuseppe Stozzetto
Address: 311 E. 124 St.
Date: 18 Jan 1924
Page #: 173

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty