Joseph Riboldi or Rabaldi

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
kingjohn

Joseph Riboldi or Rabaldi

Post by kingjohn »

Hi Everyone,
Trying to find information on Joseph Riboldi or Ribaldi (he left Italy sometime in about 1805 for Italy)? Where does the name come from in Italy?
John
cobweb33

Re: Joseph Riboldi or Rabaldi

Post by cobweb33 »

Hi King John
I've only just registered and seen your message.

I see you live in Dublin, so are you researching the same tree as a John Riboldi that moved from Limerick to London? c 1850s?
If so, that's my tree too. John Riboldi, born in Limerick, was my great-great grandfather.

Is the earlier John you're looking for his father or other relative?
(I'm quite new to all this and haven't traced that far back yet!)
kingjohn

Re: Joseph Riboldi or Rabaldi

Post by kingjohn »

This is what I have on the family and it is listed below, I would really like to follow up on the earlier Italian connection of the family and were they came from on the peninsular. Maybe you might have some luck???
Yours John

RIBOLDI OR RABALDI, Antonio, Carver and Gilder, 122 George-street, 1832-1840. 125 George-street, Limerick 1840-1848 (in partnership with with his father/and brother Joseph Riboldi I and II). Baptism at St Micheal’s Parish, Limerick Antonio Riboldi (Demonination Roman Catholic), Father Joseph Riboldi and Mother Catherine Bunton 18/02/1823 (Baptism: Irish Family History Foundation)
RIBOLDI OR RABALDI I, Joseph, Carver, Gilder and Looking Glass Manufacturer, Grand-Parade, Cork 1809-1810. Charlotte-quay 1811. 38 Patrick-street 1811-1813. 122 George-street, Limerick 1815-1825. Joseph Riboldi where probably born in the area of Milan in the 1780s, he left Italy via port City of Genoa for Ireland around 1808. The first mention of Joseph Ribaldi is in Cork in 1810, one year later he was located in Limerick: Patrick-street, Prints and Looking Glasses. Joseph Riboldi, informs the nobility and gentry of this city, that he has removed from Charlotte’s-quay, to No 38 Patrick-street, where he has for sale a most beautiful collection of framed and glazed prints, looking-glasses, convex mirrors, chimney pieces of very description and newest fashion; barometers; thermometon telescopes, all of which he has received from London, and which he will sell at the most reduced prices. Old Looking glasses bought and taken in exchange. Looking Glass newly silvered, and prints framed, glazed and varnished and repaired at the shortest notice (LEP 1811, 30th October). Joseph Riboldi, 38 Patrick-street, Limerick begs leave to inform the nobility and gentry of the city and county, that he intends disposing of part of his elegant collection, consisting of Looking Glasses and Prints, framed and glazed in the most fashionable manner in lots of 10s or five for two guineas. As this is the most elegant and extensive collection ever offered to the public, he flatters himself that it is well worth his attention. At the above shop the articles to be seen and catalogues had. N.B. A fresh supply just arrived from London. To be concluded on the first of February 1812 (LEP, 1st January 1812). Marriage in St Micheal’s, Limerick City, Joseph Riboldi (Demonination Roman Catholic) to Catherine Bunton (Demonination Roman Catholic) 29/09/1819 (Marriages; Irish Family History Foundation). Joseph and Catherine had a number of children that were baptized at St Micheal’s Church in Limerick: Mary Rose-1820, Joseph-1822, Antonio-1823; Mary Magdalene-1825; Rosanna-1825, Francis-1833; Dominic-1834. At aged 16 Donimick disembarked from the Ship Bark Celeste in New York (from Limerick) on 4th September 1850; Dominic Ribaldi, Age 16, Occupation-Labourer, Origin Ireland (Immigrant Ships Transcribers Guild Vol 6). By 1859 Dominic is listed in Brooklyn Cenus as a Gilder at 175 York-street Brooklyn Cenus of 1859). In 1830 a J Riboldi gave a donation to the Distressed Weavers of Limerick Fund; Joseph Riboldi 2s 6d (Limerick Evening Post and Clare Sentinal, 1 June 1830). Death at Parish of Glin (Roman Catholic) Catherine Riboldi 1/12/1872 (Death; Irish Family History Foundation).
RIBOLDI OR RABALDI II, Joseph, Carver and Gilder, 122 George-street, 1832-1840 (in partnership with with his father/and brother Antonio Riboldi 1832-1835). 125 George-street, Limerick 1840-1848 . Birth at St Micheal’s Parish, Limerick City, Joseph Riboldi (Demonination Roman Catholic), Father Joseph Riboldi and Mother Catherine Bunton 06/01/1822 (Baptism: Irish Family History Foundation). Took ship to United States and Arrived in New York in1849: Name-Joseph Rabaldi, Occupation-Carver and Gilder, Age-27, Sex-Male, Arrival-22nd September 1849, Ship-Independent, Origin Port-Limerick, Origin Location-Ireland (Castlegarden.org).