Staffa, Stauff, Giovino, Chieffi, Caruso, Atripalda, Wilkes

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
stauffr

Staffa, Stauff, Giovino, Chieffi, Caruso, Atripalda, Wilkes

Post by stauffr »

My thanks again to Cherrie (Who was NOT in Italy, as I thought, but in Pennsylvania) and Laura (who IS in Italy). With their help, I have accurately updated my lineage and surname sequence and ideas:

The goal of my research was to discover our Italian genealogy and the roots and origins of our Staffa/Stauff surnames. The following is (I think) the final summation of my research. All stated facts have documented proof, available from me and available for your viewing on my Ancestry.com "Orchard Supply" account.

Sabino Staffa,
(b. 22 NOV 1852 in Atripalda, Italy,
d. JAN 1898 in Wilkes Barre, PA)
Was the son of:
Pellegrino Staffa (1817- 9 JAN 1895) &
Carmela Fasona (1823-), both also of Atripalda, Italy.
Pellegrino was a hat maker. His parents were:
Antonio Staffa and Rosa Nuzzi, both also of Atripalda, Italy. Antonio was a tailor.

Sabino’s first marriage:
Sabina Fiore (b. 1858, m. 3 JUL 1884).
Sabino & Sabina Fiore first had a daughter:
Mary (b. 20 JUN 1885 in Atripalda, Italy, d. JAN 1930 in Wilkes Barre, PA).
Sabina died soon after birthing twin girls:
Raffaela & Carmela, (b. 1886) who died soon after their births.

Sabino next married: (m. 22 SEP 1887 in Atripalda, Italy)
Concetta Giovino, (b. 21 NOV 1860 in Atripalda, Italy. d. JAN 1926 in Wilkes Barre, PA) who was the daughter of:
Feliciano Giovino & Raffaela Sabatino, both of Atripalda, Italy.
First born of Sabino & Concetta’s marriage was:
Raffaela (b. 1888 in Atripalda, Italy) who died in early infancy.
Next born:
Pellegrino Filippo (b. 26 JAN 1889 in Atripalda, Italy, d. 7 JAN 1954 Jersey City, NJ)

(It was the Southern Italian tradition to name the first-born son for the father's father. Thus, Sabino's son Pellegrino's name. Likewise, Pellegrino and Salvine named their first-born sons "Sabino".)

Sabino Staffa emigrated to the USA, arriving 24 JUL 1890. Soon upon arriving, he changed his surname to “Stauffâ€
pink67
Master
Master

Re: Staffa, Stauff, Giovino, Chieffi, Caruso, Atripalda, Wil

Post by pink67 »

Hi and thanks! :D

[quote="stauffr"]In Luzerne County, PA:
Divorce record of Sabino & Concetta’s
Marriage record of Angelo Chieffi & Concetta.
Divorce record of Angelo Chieffi & Concetta.
Marriage record of Angelo Chieffi & “Agnesâ€
stauffr

Post by stauffr »

(How do I erase this posting?)
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

In the upper right hand corner there is an X to delete, or you can edit the post if need be. If you need any assistance let me know.....
wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
Katersjax

Post by Katersjax »

Hello. I am new to this page and I am researching my lineage. I believe we are related. Tobias Joseph Chieffi and Frank Angelo Chieffi are my father's uncles. My grandmother was Concetta Chieffi Jacobs but I do not know exactly her lineage started. I would like to trace the Chieffi's back to Italy.
stauffr

Post by stauffr »

Katersjax!

As Tobias and Frank Angelo were brothers, and you said that they were your father's uncles, does that mean that one your your father's parents was one of their half-siblings or spouses? (Pellegrino Staffa, Salvine Stauff or Mary Caruso.) Salvine was my father's father. Angelo Chieffi's was common-law wed to Concetta (née) Giovino, but Concetta was married first to Sabino Staffa/Stauff. See my Ancestry.com "Orchard Supply" to see all my info. I can send an invite if you'll provide your email. Find mine at my personal site: www.stauffr.com
See my Ancestry.com account "Orchard Supply" for my info!
TobyC

Post by TobyC »

My father was Angelo Chieffi of Wilkes Barre, PA. His father was Tobias Joseph Chieffi. He had an Uncle Frank Chieffi. He also had an Uncle Angelo Chieffi who died in World War Two.
stauffr

Post by stauffr »

Katersjax

Hello! I have my Great Grandmother as Concetta (or Congetta) Giovino who married Sabino Staffa (changed to "Stauff" upon USA arrival) in Atripalda, Italy, their home town. She then "married" Angelo Chieffi. He later "married" Agnes (maiden name unknown for now). As you have Jacobs for Concetta's last name, would you know of the Mr. Jacobs she married? Please let me know! Thank you! --- Richard Stauff (Please also email stauffr "at" yahoo dot com)
TobyC

Post by TobyC »

To Katersjax,

If your grandmother is Concetta, your father is one of my cousins. My father was Angelo Chieffi, Concetta's brother.
stauffr

Post by stauffr »

Oops, I skipped a generation... Concetta V (Chieffi) Jacobs was the daughter of Tobias Joseph Chieffi and Vincentius Stellone. Tobias was the son of Angelo Chieffi (Senior) and Congetta (Giovino) Staffa/Stauff.

Congetta (Giovino) was first married to Sabino Staffa in Atripalda, Italy. Sabino was a widower: he and his first wife Sabina Fiore (who died birthing twins who also died) first had a daughter Mary, whom Congetta (Giovino) adopted upon marrying Sabino. Later, Congetta (Giovino) and Sabino had a son, Pellegrino.

Sabino, Congetta (Giovino), Mary and Pellegrino came to the USA, in Wilkes Barre, PA. Sabino changed their surname to Stauff.

Sabino and Congetta (Giovino) had a son born in 1894 in Wilkes Barre: Salvine Stauff (My Grandfather).

Pellegrino later changed his surname back to his Christened surname: Staffa.
Salvine kept his Christened surname: Stauff.
Mary (Stauff, unchanged before marriage) married Bruno Caruso.

Before Sabino died in 1898, Congetta (Giovino) "common law" married Angelo Chieffi. 16 months after Salvine was born, Congetta (Giovino) and Angelo Chieffi gave birth to Tobias Joseph Chieffi (father of Concetta V (Chieffi) Jacobs. Also, Anna and Angelo James)
In 1897, Angelo Chieffi and Congetta (Giovino) gave birth to Frank Angelo Chieffi.

I have documentation for all the above, including a copy of the Atripalda, Italy marriage license Sabino Staffa & Congetta (Giovino).

I hope I've cleared up the details. I have more info upon request.
TobyC

Post by TobyC »

Thanks for the info. It is good to find some of the information I don't have.
Sandra55

Re: Staffa

Post by Sandra55 »

hello--

This is not exactly related to your relatives, but I am also researching the name Staffa, because my great grandmother was named Maria Staffa.

All I know about her is that she was born in Italy around 1875, came to America probably 1881/1882 (though I cannot find her in passenger ship records),was married in NYC in 1889 (to Vincenzo DeFilippo and whose marriage certificate I have), is mentioned in the 1910 census living in the Bronx, and then seems to have died (though I cannot find her death record), sometime around 1912. Its possible she died in Italy. My mother remembers seeing her crypt in Benevento Italy which would mean she is buried with my great grandfather and whose closest native city that is.

Her 1889 marriage certificate names her parents as Maria Vincenza and Antonio Staffa. It says she was living then on 121 Mulberry St.

I then began following the trail of her father. I found one "Antonio Staffa" who immigrated in 1882 and is pretty well documented, but whose wife is named Assunta (so cannot claim for sure he is the 'right' Antonio Staffa).
In the 1900 census he is listed as married 30 years to Assunta and living on 121 Mulberry St. Same person?

My questions are these: have you come across a similar Maria Staffa in your research? I don't know for sure exactly which town in Italy she is from.

Do you know --or does anyone know out there know-- if Maria Staffa's mother also called Maria (Vincenza) Staffa is the same person as Assunta?

thank you so much.

Sandra
Flushing, NY
dove532003

Re: Maria Vincenza Staffa

Post by dove532003 »

Oh I am so happy to see your post. I just found my grand father's,(Antonio Staffa) immigration information to Ellis Island. I wouldn't have known for sure unless I looked at the ship's manifest. My dad was last in line as far as children. He was born here in America. But I do know some of my aunt's and uncle's names and they were on board with him on the ship ss trojan prince. They came over in 1990. I started my search on NYGenweb, a free website. Some how I got to ancestry.com(not a free website) and they showed a small newspaper clip and I could see the beginning part of the address as 121 Mul. Well I was convinced this was my grand father then, as I know my father Dominick Staffa grew up on Mulberry Street. And you now confirm that it is 121. I have heard both Assunda and Maria's name bounced around. But the Staffa's were famous for naming their children the same names.We will get this straight yet. I know that my father was from a province in Italy called Avelino. On the immigration record on the ship's manifest it says they came from Atripaldi which is a town in Avelino. The names of his siblings that came on the boat were Concetta, Guiseppe,Vincense, there was another son named there but I couldn't make out the spelling of that name. Anyway I am not sure how we are related but we definitely are. My maiden name is Frances Staffa, I know my father had a sister named Francesca. He had many siblings and I know that many died in miscarriage or after birth. I was born and raised in Islip long Island. My nick name is Penny. Thank you so much please share with me any findings as I will to you.
stauffr

Post by stauffr »

My Great Grandparents were Sabino Staffa (he changed his and his family's name to "Stauff" upon arriving in the USA in 1892) and Concetta (Giovino) Staffa/Stauff. Sabino and Concetta were born and married in Atripalda, Campania, Italy.

Sabino was already a widower, previously married to Sabina (Fiore) Staffa 1858-1887. They had a daughter, Mary.

Sabino and Concetta had a son (Born in 1889 in Atripalda, Italy) named Pellegrino Filippo Staffa.

Sabino, Concetta, Mary and Pellegrino came to the USA
to Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania, where Sabino had Fiore family relatives.

Salvine was born in Wilkes Barre, PA in 1894 and very soon before/after, his mother Concetta "common-law married" Angelo Chieffi and with him had 2 sons born in 1895 and 1897 (Tobias Joseph Chieffi and Frank Angelo Chieffi).

Sabino Staffa/Stauff died in 1898 in Wilkes Barre, PA.

Angelo Chieffi, who raised my grandfather, was born in Santomenna, Salerno, Italy. Angelo’s mother, Mariangela (Carlucci) Chieffi was the sister of Carlo Carlucci, who was great grandfather to former USA Secretary of Defense Frank Carlucci.

Salvine kept his Christened name of "Stauff" all his life. Pellegrino reverted back to HIS Christened name of “Staffa.”