Help with census

General Non-Genealogy Discussions.
Ask questions, chat and talk about anything.
Normandie
Rookie
Rookie

Help with census

Post by Normandie »

I need advice on census. I can not find my Great Grandparents, Joseph and Emanuella Cornetta. They came to U.S. thru New York 1891. They lived in Manhattan. My Grandmother was born in 1892. Her sister was born 1896. I have sister's birth and death certificates. They lived on Mott, Elizabeth and Prince Streets. Emanuella's maiden name was Pepe. I have checked that way too. i appreciate any suggestions. Thanks. N.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Help with census

Post by PeterTimber »

Try www.stevemorse.org/nyc/nyc.php for NY state census data. Also try www.italiangen.org/Default.htm =Peter=
~Peter~
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Hi!
Sometimes it helps to look for the children instead of the parents.
We can help you look with a little more information: approx birth dates for Joseph & Emanuella, children's names, etc
Thanks! Valarie
Normandie
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Normandie »

Thanks Peter and vj for your replies. Joseph (Guiseppe) Cornetta was born 28 December 1871. His father's name was Matthew Cornetta. I do not know Mother's name. He died 29 December 1926. Emanuella Pepe Cornetta was born 8 Sept. 1875 and died 17 April 1917. They are buried in Calvary Cemetery. Emanuella's parents were Michele Pepe amd Madeline Scarpa. They appear to all be from Altavilla Silentina. When Joseph and Emanuella came to U.S. and arrived on 5 May 1891 they had infant daughter. I have been told by my cousin who was told by her Mother that there was a infant son who either died on boat or as soon as they came to New York. I can find no evidence. All I have is what manifest says about child. My Grandmother, Marie Agnes Cornetta was born 13 April 1892, Madelina (Lena) Cornetta was born 1 Sept. 1894, Matthew J. Cornetta was born 4 Aug. 1896, Frank Cornetta was born 30 May 1898, Maddelina Cornetta was born in 1901 and died 4 April 1902, Edwin Cornetta was born 26 July 1904, John Cornetta was born 3 Jan. 1907 and Andrew Cornetta was born 4 April 1910. I know Marie, Lena and Maddelina were born in New York City, Manhattan. I have Marie's death certificate. I have Lena's birth and death certificate and I have Maddelina's birth and death certificate. I have checked 1900, 1910, 1920 census for the parents. I do find sons and daughter later in 1920 and 1930 census. Thanks for any help.
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Posible 1910 census
Name: Joseph Cornelia
Age in 1910: 42
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1868
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Head
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Spouse's Name: Emanuela
Home in 1910: Queens Ward 2, Queens, New York
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Year of Immigration: 1892
Household Members: Name Age
Joseph Cornelia 42
Emanuela Cornelia 35
Mary Cornelia 17
Lena Cornelia 15
Matthew Cornelia 12
Frank Cornelia 11
Edward Cornelia 6
John Cornelia 3
Andrew Cornelia 1/12
Joseph Pafrende 41
Joseph Valente 25
Frank Angelina 25

Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Possible 1900 census
Page 1
Page 2
Name: Joseph Corretta
[Joseph Corrette]
Home in 1900: Manhattan, New York, New York
Birth Date: Jan 1867
Birthplace: Italy
Race: White
Ethnicity: American
Immigration Year: 1891
Relationship to Head of House: Head
Father's Birthplace: Italy
Mother's Birthplace: Italy
Spouse's Name: Manulla
Marriage Year: 1889
Marital Status: Married
Years Married: 11
Residence : New York City, New York, New York
Household Members: Name Age
Joseph Corretta 33
Manulla Corretta 28
Angelo Corretta 8--daughter Marie Agnes??
Lena Corretta 6
Matteo Corretta 4
Frank Corretta 2

Biff
Normandie
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Normandie »

Thanks so very much. These seem to be them. Did you use Ancestry? I want to look it up and look at each person. Also I want to check streets they are living on. I have to go to our library to use Ancestry. I have looked and looked for hours. I put in Cornetta and other names. I used soundex. Thanks again.
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

You're welcome.

I did use Ancestry. To view the census records, click on the blue links on my two posts for additional details.

Best,
Biff
Normandie
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Normandie »

Thanks. I copied them. Next time I go to Library will look them up using spelling of last names as they are on census. I see those men named at end of 1910 census are listed as boarders. I didn't recognize those last names as any surnames I have for my family. N.
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Since the family was living in Queens in 1910 and both Emanuella's and Joseph's death certificates were issued in Queens, it's likely that Joseph was living in Queens county in 1920 but I've been unable to locate any possible census records for him thus far.

Biff
Normandie
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Normandie »

My Mother's cousin who is still a live and is oldest member of the Cornetta family told me that Joseph Cornetta lived with his family for a while. The son he lived with would be Frank Cornetta. However, I have checked 1920 census and Joseph is not listed with them. When he (Joseph) became sick he went to live with his daughter Lena Cornetta Mittasch. I have checked census for her and he not listed in her family. However, the death certificate shows Joseph died at his daughter Lena's house. I have copy of the death certificate. I do know when Mother, Emanuella died the two youngest boys went to live with their sisters. One went to live with my Grandmother, Marie Cornetta Dury and the other went to live with Lena Cornetta Mittasch. They were so young when Mother died. I don't know if Joseph lived by himself for a while or what. I don't know if census taker could have not included them at the sister homes. Thanks for looking. N.
Normandie
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Normandie »

I was able to go to my library on Sunday this past week. I found my Great Grandparents in 1900 and 1910 as you showed. There is some difference in birth dates and ages but I am positive this is them. Thanks again so much for help. I always like to check the streets. In 1900 census it says they lived on Spring St. in New York City. Does that street still have same name? I try to look streets up on google. I have a cousin who lives in New York. She tries to check streets out . We try to get photos if buildings still in existence. The 1910 census says they lived Central Ave. Queens. Does any one know if that street still has same name. Also would that be in Corona? I did recheck 1920 census. I could not find Joseph Cornetta. I tried all the spellings . I did find Andrew Cornetta. He was living with his sister Lena Cornetta Mittasch. I found John Cornetta in 1930 census and he was living with my Grandmother, Marie Dury. I called my cousin he said John came to live with them after the Mother died. He told me John and him shared same bedroom. This would have been Frank Cornetta's residence. He again said Joseph lived with them for a while and than moved in with Lena Mittasch. I guess census recorder never put Joseph or John down in 1920. However, I will keep looking at 1920 census. They could be added in an update. N.