first name question

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
paulineh

first name question

Post by paulineh »

could Pamillo have been americanized to Paul ? I think I may have found some of the family i am researching but it lists the name as Pamillo and i have been it as Paul as per the records I have found previosly the rest of the names and ages of wife and children are correct to what I already have Thanks for any help
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Re: first name question

Post by Italysearcher »

Anyhting is possible. The very curly 'C' in Italian script could easily be mistaken for 'P'. Camillo is a common name.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
paulineh

Post by paulineh »

the place i found it is a 1920 census in colorado and they don't speak english according to the census so maybe it was a communication error between the census taker and them and should have been the C
Tamberino
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Tamberino »

Are you going by what you read on the census or what a search engine is telling you? I found census information that whoever inputted it in the system couldn't read the handwriting. Canio Tamburrino came up as Carnio, Camio and Cardio. Plus one search came up as him being female. So, if you are getting it from a search result, you should look at the copy of it to see what it really is.
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Hi, Pauline

Based on the 1910 and 1920 census information in your other inquiry thread, I believe his Italian first name was Panfilo.

For reference:
http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/Foru ... 11255.html

Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
paulineh

Post by paulineh »

Biff thanks for that reminder i forgot about the census info that you and misbris had posted there when i found the one i was looking at from 1920 and yes it could have been read as Panfilo or Pamillo the way it was written on the census form but at least this time they had the last name written down thre right way eventually i may get out of colorado and over to Italy with this family if i can find the right key to use on the door :)