Census

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
irret

Census

Post by irret »

Hi All,
I am right at the beginning of researching the Boriani family and wonder if there is a 1900/1901 Italian census that can be viewed online? Any help most appreciated.javascript:emoticon('post', 'message', ':?')
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Re: Census

Post by Italysearcher »

The Italians (in the South at least) don't do census like the US or UK. It is normally done in each town and recorded against each name if they were present or not. There is a sample on my website.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
irret

Post by irret »

Thank you once again for your reply. Sadly you may have guessed I am a complete novice and dare I say it i have been unable to find the census sample on your site :cry: To be honest i don't know where to begin. I have Claudio Boriani on the 1911 census in England looks like he is 27 with daughter Maria Boriani born 1908 and Claudios wife Maggie Nee Roxburgh I have been unable to find a marriage for the couple in Engalnd. I have Claudios death certificate 1922 his age at death is 34 giving birth year from census and death certificate 1884-1888. He is my neighbours great grandfather and she remembers going to Palermo Sicley years ago presumably to visit the family home sadly its all a bit hazy now. I have been told that Sicley is an unlikely birth area for the Boriani family its more likely to be Northern Italy so appart from finding his birth without confirmation of a town or his Military papers I am stumped. Can you give me some hope?
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

Have you looked for his WW1 alien registration record?
Ann Tatangelo
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
irret

Post by irret »

I wouldn't know where to look. I have a Ancestry.co.uk membership and have looked under normal WWW1. Nothing showing.
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

I think the local police may hold any existing records.
Ann Tatangelo