Dominic Mariani

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
bobjmariano

Dominic Mariani

Post by bobjmariano »

Hello Everyone-

My name is Bob Mariano and I am looking for any informatin about my Grandfather who's name was Dominic Mariani, he was born in Villa Santa Maria Italy around 1890's and married Angela Pavia from Cheiti Italy. I am here in NYC and plan to go to Ellis Island to find any info on him and if he immigrated thru NYC and on what ship. He lived in Coraoplis, PA a small town outside of Pittsburgh, PA. Any information would be deeply appreciated, thanks.

Bob J Mariano
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Re: Dominic Mariani

Post by wldspirit »

From the SSDI, contains date of birth and death:

Social Security Death Index

Name: Domenic Mariani
SSN: 169-07-2998
Last Residence: 15108 Coraopolis, Allegheny, Pennsylvania, United States of America
Born: 23 Nov 1892
Died: Sep 1984
State (Year) SSN issued: Pennsylvania (Before 1951)

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Any connection?

Mary Jane (Mariano) Craker 'Mama Lucia'
Mary Jane (Mariano) Craker "Mama Lucia", 81, of Moon Township, was received into the arms of her Lord and Savior on Friday, Aug 17, 2007, in the Sewickley Hospital after a courageous 10 1/2 year battle against Alzheimer's and heart disease. She was surrounded by her loving family and was at peace with no more pain. Born June 16, 1926, in Moon Township, she was a daughter of the late Domenic "Mike" and Angeline Mariani of Coraopolis, Pa. Mary was raised in her town of Coraopolis. She became a full time wife and mother where her mission was creating a strong foundation of values for her children. She loved to bake pies and meatballs. No wonder everyone, patients and staff, at West Hills Health and Rehab. Center loved Mary. She was the cook for 8 1/2 years until her retirement in 1989. She also spoiled her family and friends with her delicious delights.

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
bobjmariano

Post by bobjmariano »

Hello Wildspirit-

Thanks so much for the information about my grandfather and yes Mary Craker was my Aunt, (My father's sister). I was stitt trying to find out if he came her thru NYC and Ellis Island? Going there today with my wife Anne. Is there a way to contact Villa Santa Maria in Italy to find more information? Thanks again so much for your time and help.
Regards,
Bob J. Mariano
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Hi Lee :D and Bob :D

Are you sure his first name was Dominic?
On the site Ancestry.com I found a military enlistment for the First World War for a Damiano Mariani:

World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918
about Domiano Mariano
Name: Domiano Mariano
County: Allegheny
State: Pennsylvania
Birthplace: Italy
Birth Date: 22 Nov 1892
Race: Caucasian (White)
FHL Roll Number: 1852248
DraftBoard: 1

birth place listed is Villa S. Maria and address at the time of this document was in Coraopolis...
[img=http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/9080/m ... wwi.th.jpg]

date of birth makes me think.... :? Maybe it ì's just a case?

Laura
bobjmariano

Post by bobjmariano »

Hello Laura-

That is definately him, his last name is Mariani, with an I, however, for some reason my father and Uncles always spelled their names at the end with an I, A and mostly O. I did not know he was enlisted in WWI. I was in Villa Santa Maria back in 1986 and traced back my relatives as far as I could, however, it was difficult since I didn't speak any Italian. I was really trying to find out what ship, and were he came to the US, if it was Ellis Island or the port of Philadelphia,Pa.
Ther was a Dominic Mariani that came thru Ellis Island back in 1906 but he listed his city as Liscio, Italy. He was born in 1892, so he would have been only 14 years old but the registry said he was 25. Thanks again Laura
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

You're welcom Bob!

so, if you believe his real first name should have been Damiano, here is his March 1911 arrival manifest from Ellisisland.org:

page 1:
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0017

page 2:
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0017

he stated he was joining his uncle Panfilo Mariani in Coraopolis, Villa Santa Maria was his last residence in Italy while his place of birth was Ateletea (L'Aquila Province - Abruzzo region). Ateleta is just 17 miles far from Villa Santa Maria

from Ancestry.com here is the military enlistment for the second world war:

U.S. World War II Draft Registration Cards, 1942
about Damiano Mariano
Name: Damiano Mariano
Birth Date: 22 Nov 1892
Birth Place: Villa St Maria, Italy
Residence: Allegheny, Pennsylvania
Roll: WW2_2240879

nearest relative his wife Angelina, living with him in Coraopolis

[img=http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/5490/m ... wii.th.jpg]

Laura
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Bob,

Angela Pavia and their first son Filippo (born in Italy) arrived in Boston, form Ancestry.com here is their 1917 arrival manifest:

page 1:
[img=http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/4973/p ... alp.th.jpg]
page 2:
[img=http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/4676/p ... ge2.th.jpg]

She stated she was leaving in Villa Santa Maria her father Alfonso and was joining her husband Nicola :?: Mariani in Coraopolis, 1327 5th street.
Villa Santa Maria was place of birth for both the mother and her son.

Filippo/Philip Mariani was born on 1914, so possible there must be another arrival for Damiano :?:

Can you confirm this 1930 census for the family?

1930 United States Federal Census
about Mike Marian
Name: Mike Marian
Home in 1930: Moon, Allegheny, Pennsylvania
View Map
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1893
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Head
Spouse's Name: Angelina
Race: White

Education:

Military service:

Rent/home value:

Age at first marriage:

Parents' birthplace: View image
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Mike Marian 37 head, born in IT, year of immigr. 1911, occupation, labourer in a glass factory, Naturalized
Angelina Marian 35 wife, born in IT, year of immigr. 1917
Phillip Marian 16 son, born in IT, year of immigr. 1917
August Marian 10 son, born in PA
Anna Marian 8 daughter, born in PA
Nick Marian 6 son, born in PA
Mary Marian 4 daughter, born in PA
Tony Marian 1 6/12 son, born in PA
James Marian 2/12 son, born in PA

[img=http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/1362 ... 930.th.jpg]

Laura
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Possible naturalization records found by Laura :D on footnote

Declaration

Publication Number: M1537
Publication Title: Naturalization Petitions of the U.S. District Court, 1820-1930, and Circuit Court, 1820-1911,
for the Western District of Pennsylvania
Publisher: NARA
Court: US Circuit and District Courts, Oct 1820-Sep 3, 1906
Year: 1917
Date: 07 May 1917
Immigrant Full Name: Mariano Damiano
Document Type: Declaration of Intention
Home Country: Italy
Year Immigrated: 1910
---

Petition

Publication Title: Naturalization Petitions of the U.S. District Court, 1820-1930, and Circuit Court, 1820-1911,
Year: 1920
Date: 08 Sep 1920
Document Type: Petition for Naturalization
Witness Full Name: Francesco Marini
Year Immigrated: 1911
---

Hand-written petition page 1

page 2

---

Oath

Year: 1920
Date: 08 Dec 1920
Document Type: Oath of Allegiance
Year Immigrated: 1911
bobjmariano

Post by bobjmariano »

Dear Laura and VJ, I just want to thank you for all your time and hard work for clarifying my grandfather's arrival in the US. It is ironic that my wife and I went to Ellis Island today and couldn't find what you have found for us!! We walked thrugh the same building he did! This is something I started back in 1986 but never really finished. However, there are still a few loose ends I have to tie up. Domiano married Angelina who was originally married to his brother (Cosmo)? who had the son named Phillip, which then became Domiano's step-son after Cosmo died (not sure when and how he died??) Then Angelina and Domiano had August, Anna, Nick, Mary, Tony and James. Tony was my father. we can't thank you enough for all your help. If you find any other info on Cosmo please let us know.
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

Cosmo and Damiano are two Saints who are regularly linked. Would seem normal to give their names to two brothers.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Thank you Valarie! :D
bobjmariano wrote:Domiano married Angelina who was originally married to his brother (Cosmo)? who had the son named Phillip, which then became Domiano's step-son after Cosmo died (not sure when and how he died??)
Now it's clear.... I was thinking it could have happened this... Damiano at his first arrival in 1911 and at the time of the military enlistment for the first world war (1917) stated he was single....and, as Filippo/Philip was born on 1914 it was impossible he was Damiano's son.

Bob, the last year I was visiting Ellis Island and I can perfectly understand your feeling :D ... I was very touched thinking I was walking and passing through the same rooms and passages were my grandfather was almost 100 years before...

Laura

edit to add details:

here is a 1905 arrival manifest for Cosmo Mariani, from Villa Santa Maria, age 17 (aprox. birth year 1888) single, who was joining his uncle Panfilo Mariani in Pittsburg (same uncle that Damiano was joining later on his 1911 arrival):

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0004
bobjmariano

Post by bobjmariano »

Thanks again Laura. I also saw Cosmo's name on the same 1911 manifest with Damiano (line 3). Obviously he came over in 1905 and then again in 1911 (22 yrs old). I was wondering if there was a manifest when Panfilo Marianoi came over or maybe Damiano's father which would have been Panfilo's brother?? Which part of Italy do you live in? Is it near Villa Santa Maria? Is there any way I can get records from Villa Santa Maria? I trying to go back as far as I can. Thanks for all your help.
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Bob, I live in the north of Italy, in the Liguria region, so pretty far from "you" places... :wink:

However you'll be able to obtain certificates for your ancestors writing to the appropriate towns...
You can use these sites to create your letters in italian language:

http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... /index.asp

or

http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... tters.html

It's better ask for Damiano or Cosmo's "estratto integrale dell'atto di nascita" because on the copy of the original birth acts you'll find also the "annotations" for the important facts of life (Marriage and death)

From the immigration and naturalization records we know that Damiano/Domenic was born in Ateleta (L'Aquila Province), here is the address:

Comune di Ateleta
Piazza Carolina 18
67030 Ateleta AQ
ITALY

Tel 0864 65030
Fax 0864 65431

while this is for Villa Santa Maria (Chieti Province) (it seems Cosmo stated he was born there):

Comune di Villa Santa Maria
Corso Umberto 18
66047 Villa Santa Maria CH

Tel 0872 944416
Fax 0872 940052

Good luck!
Laura
:D
bobjmariano

Post by bobjmariano »

Ciao Laura-

Thanks so much again for your time and expertise Laura, I really don't know how to thank - you enough !!!! I am on the road in NYC and have most of my relatives records and vital information back home in Phoenix, AZ. I'll be back in a few months.
I found Panfilo Mariani Manifest also , he arrived in NYC on May 5th, 1898 on the ship of Fulda. I just have to find who was Damiano's Father information, my great Grandfather? I guess, that would be Panfilo's brother? Since Damiano mentioned on the manifest he was visiting his Uncle Panfilo that would his father's brother?
Thanks again so much.....you are the best Laura !!!!
Ciao and best regards,
Bob