Colomba, Vaccaro, DeCillis families from Bonefro and Pescopa

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
suev

Colomba, Vaccaro, DeCillis families from Bonefro and Pescopa

Post by suev »

My Grandmother, Chiaro Colomba's date of arrival at Ellis Island was January 10, 1906 and she came from the town of Bonefro, Italy. I am just beginning researching my grandparents roots.

Does anyone know if the Colombo and Colomba families from Bonefro are the same. On the Ellis Isalnd passenger record, it is spelled Colomba but on my mother's birth certificate, her mother's maiden name is Colombo.

From the Ellis Island record, it appears that my grandmother's mothers name may have been Antonia Vaccaro her father's name may have been Luigi Colomba. He emmigrated earlier.

I know my grandmother, Chiara, married Alfonso DeCillis (from Pescopagano) and had their first son, Andrew, in Brooklyn, NY in 1912.

Does anyone know anything about the Colomba, Vaccaro or DeCillis families.

Also, any info on Bonefro and/or Pescopagano would be great!!

Thanks for any help and guidance,
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Colomba, Vaccaro, DeCillis families from Bonefro and Pes

Post by PeterTimber »

The spellings of the name obviously must be clarified for further research so your best bet is to go to the nearest Mormon family history library (www.familysearch.org for location) and rent out the microfilm of the civil records for both Bonefro and pescopagano which cover all births,marriages and deaths from 1809 to 1900 for Bonefro and 1809 to 1860 for pescopagano.

The microfilms are about $5.00 to rent and bring along the companion book Discovering Your Italian Ancestors by Lynn Nelson and a magnifying glass since the records are mostly handwritten in that beautiful italian script. Once you see where the spelling were changed or not changed then you can proceed with researching the towns.

Go to www.nonsolocap.it and click in the towns and then click on the town name itself and there will be town addresses,maps and a website for the town starting with www in blue. =Peter=
Bethie

Post by Bethie »

Hi, i am wondering about the Vaccaros from Bonefro. My grandfather was Anthony Vaccaro; he emigrated to the US in the early 1900's and settled in New Rochelle, NY. He married my grandmother, Rose Di Stallo, whose parents had arrived from Italy at the end of the 19th century. I am wondering who his parents were in Bonefro. I know that he had siblings, some of whom came to America, but i believe some stayed in Italy. I believe he was the oldest son. I never knew my grandfather; he died before i was born. But i met one of his sisters when i was very young; i just cannot remember her name. I know this is not too clear, but i am planning to go to Italy, and i wanted to visit Bonefro, and i thought it would be helpful to know as much about my grandfather as i could before I went.
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Bethie wrote:Hi, i am wondering about the Vaccaros from Bonefro. My grandfather was Anthony Vaccaro; he emigrated to the US in the early 1900's and settled in New Rochelle, NY. He married my grandmother, Rose Di Stallo, whose parents had arrived from Italy at the end of the 19th century. I am wondering who his parents were in Bonefro. I know that he had siblings, some of whom came to America, but i believe some stayed in Italy. I believe he was the oldest son. I never knew my grandfather; he died before i was born. But i met one of his sisters when i was very young; i just cannot remember her name. I know this is not too clear, but i am planning to go to Italy, and i wanted to visit Bonefro, and i thought it would be helpful to know as much about my grandfather as i could before I went.
Hello!
We would all be happy to help :D
You may want to start your own post so your family doesn't get mixed in with another family.
(The new topic button is just below this post)
There is a family site for your Anthony Vaccaro on ancestry. com (with pictures) - but it doesn't have any records attached.
Do you have any of your US records?
Thanks! Valarie

on ancestry. com
Hlubik Family Tree

Celestino Vaccaro

wife:
Teresa Primiano

children:
Giuseppe Vaccaro
Alessandro Vaccaro
1881 – 1960
Anthony W. Vaccaro