Italian noble ancestor

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Squigy
Master
Master

Italian noble ancestor

Post by Squigy »

Hi again.
I was doing my genealogy, and I found out my greatX3 grandfather was a Duke of Italy. My question is what does that make me. I mean, I know it's makes me nothing cause the monarchy was abolished, and I live in America, but I'm just curious what it WOULD have made me. I read that in Italy, all the children take their father/mothers title as a courtesy title, which led to a lot of nobility. Anyway, here is my brief ancestry

Duke
Female
Male
Female
Female
Me

Thanks. :D
MaurizioPerrone
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Italian noble ancestor

Post by MaurizioPerrone »

Can you please explain what you mean that your ancestor was a "Duke of Italy?" A united Italy as we know it did not exist united until il risorgimento during the 19th century, before that the area we now consider "Italy" was composed of smaller independent city states and kingdoms, and there were many noble houses throughout Italy that carried varying degrees of influence.

As a native Italian, it seems unbelievable that a connection to a noble house in Italy would have been forgotten in just a few generations, only to be rediscovered through genealogical research. It seems impossible to me, so perhaps you can tell us more about your history.

There is really no way to answer your question, perhaps I do not understand what you mean when you say you are curious.
Squigy
Master
Master

Post by Squigy »

The reason is she came to America with her former governess when she was about 16. Her mother and father stayed in America and I guess she just faded away. She married a co-worker of her governess's husband, because the governess and her family pretty much adopted her. She didn't like to talk about her biological lineage, and her daughter had to go to Italy and find birth records to find out who her parents were.
MaurizioPerrone
Rookie
Rookie

It is not true that there is a lot of nobility in Italy, as you mention in the first post. I have never heard of this situation where a daughter of a noble house would go to America and "fades away," this seems very unbelievable. The Italian people that went to America (north & south) in the late 19th and early 20th century, they were the farmers, artisans and common peoples from the big cities and countryside in Italy.

If you have interest in noble houses of the Italian states, there are many good sources you can search in Italy and even now on the internet. It is a colorful and diverse history.
Squigy
Master
Master

Post by Squigy »

So what are you insinuating? You think I'm lying? Well my friend, whether you believe it or not, it's true, and I really don't appreciate you doubting my word.
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

There is no insinuation on anyone's part, however, common myths pervade
genealogy, be it ancestral nobility, or a relationship to Pocahontas herself.
In most cases of nobility, the facts are very well documented thru diligent genealogy research.

It is simply a point being made....

wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
MaurizioPerrone
Rookie
Rookie

Surely when one announces that they are a member of a noble house, especially on a public forum such as this, it is expected that there will be much curiousity and some questions.

I am certainly sorry if my words caused you some distress, I was only trying to understand your situation better, surely you understand this story is quite unusual. My intention was not to upset you in some way.

I wish you the best of luck as you continue your searches.
Squigy
Master
Master

Post by Squigy »

I know there are a LOT of myths about nobility in family tree's, but they had her birth records. It's not like they made it up cause she had a "Noble last name." It was based on fact, not just a guess.
Squigy
Master
Master

Post by Squigy »

I understand Maurizio. I bet if the shoe was on the other foot I'd doubt the story. I know it's true, but I guess I shouldn't expect you to believe somebody you don't even know.
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

I know there are a LOT of myths about nobility in family tree's, but they had her birth records. It's not like they made it up cause she had a "Noble last name." It was based on fact, not just a guess.
That's fantastic!! With your documented evidence of nobility, you should be well on your way to other exciting discoveries!!

I wish you continued success in your search!!

wldspirit
Moderator :wink:

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
Eleven
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Eleven »

I think this person is asking "if" she found that her ancestor was a duke..what it would make her/or him. I dont think she/he was asking about proving the guy was a duke..just what the title would be..for her/him. (sorry, I dont know if you are male or female. I am also curious as to what your title would be.
Paolo007

Post by Paolo007 »

Hi, my question is fairly vague as i'm still trying to find out information but any response is appreciated.

My farthter died 3 years ago and through speaking with family members since the title I believe is called 'Visconte'. Our family name is Rossi so I believe the title was Visconte De Rossi. The spelling may be totally wrong so I do apologise.

It may well be nothing but I am also trying to research my family history so if any one is able to shed any light on this it would be appreciated.

Thank you
Romano1970
Master
Master

Post by Romano1970 »

Hello. Have you tried contacting the town they came from? Possibly they have the records you seek. if not the town then possibly a church from the region.

Try this site to find the towns or regions.

http://www.paginebianche.it/index.html

Use this site to see where exactly your last name is located in Italy. Type your last name to the upper left side and click it. you will see the map of Italy populate with everywhere your last name is in Italy.

http://www.gens.labo.net/en/cognomi/gen ... l?cognome=
Michael Romano

Chi va piano va sano e va lontano

Those who go slowly, go safely and go far

Looking for family history in Piazza Armerina, Aidone, and Musomelli Sicily.
Names researching: Romano, Nigrelli, Ristagno, Piazza Maida Triolo.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Squigy You might want to familiarize yourself with Italian Nobility by going to www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nobility_of_italy . Should you need additonal information then please get back to us.

The website will provide you with Sicilian and Southern Italy nobility listings as well which you might enjoy. =Peter=
~Peter~
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

Squigy wrote:The reason is she came to America with her former governess when she was about 16. Her mother and father stayed in America and I guess she just faded away. She married a co-worker of her governess's husband, because the governess and her family pretty much adopted her. She didn't like to talk about her biological lineage, and her daughter had to go to Italy and find birth records to find out who her parents were.

Fascinating! Would love to hear more specifics... do you have her ship manifest? There might be additional clues listed that could provide you with a concrete link to en established noble family in Italy.