Daura/Taraula

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Gingergoose

Daura/Taraula

Post by Gingergoose »

I am so happy to finally be able to post. I have recently begun researching my ancestry and have a mystery.

My great grandfather was Vincent (Vincenzo) Daura and his parents were Antonio Daura and Maria Taraula.

Vincent was born Jan 26, 1879 in New Orleans although I have found a census from NO stating that he was born in Italy. He married my great grandmother, Anna DiFatta in New Orleans on March 19, 1905.

His parents are a mystery to me. All that I can find on Antonio is a possible death date of October 6, 1900 in New Orleans. Don't know where he is buried. For Maria Taraula, I have a birth date of Nov. 1834 in Italy and a death year of 1948. I do not know what part of Italy they came from. This mystery is making me sad because I did know my great grandmother (Vincent's wife) as a child and had a strong relationship with that part of my family until they all died.

Can anybody give me any guidance on where to move forward and find something about my great, great grandparents?

Thank you.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Daura/Taraula

Post by PeterTimber »

Both Daura and Taraula are Sicilian surnames of Spanish origin. Daura as a last name is listed inpalermo province so that is where we should concentrate our efforts. What does family oral history say about where they came from...?
Go to www.paginebianche.it and put in Daura in first line and Sicilia in second line and click CERCA for telephone listing for Daura in Sicily. Daura looks like it was originally D'AURA in Sicily and belongs to a legal office in the Palermo, Sicily area. Youmight wish to send a potential relative letter found at http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... etter.html to the address listed in the telephone directory I gave you. =Peter=
~Peter~
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Hello!
checked your family pages on ancestry and noticed you were missing Vincenzo's WWI Card?
It's transcribed as Dausa
Valarie

1918 WWI Draft Registration Card
native born
Gingergoose

Post by Gingergoose »

VJ..OMG, that is him. The address and employer (also my ancestor) is already known and correct. Now I know for sure that he was born in the US. I did not know that he fought or enlisted for WWI. Thank you!!1

Peter,
Excellent and most appreciated information. The DiFatta side is from Cefalu and now I can concentrate on Palermo. It is a mystery what happened to Antonio (although I know he died in N.O.) and Maria Taraula. I will do what you suggested. Thank you!!! Oh..interesting that you can look at my ancestry pages. Did n't know that others could see. Glad people can....it can only help me. Thanks again!

Denise
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Hello Denise!
Have you ordered any records from the state of LA?
Their website, if you haven't seen it, makes it pretty easy.
http://www.sos.louisiana.gov/tabid/638/Default.aspx

Also,
This Antonio D'Aura is probably too young ...
Daura Antonino 36 yrs M W 10/06/1900 123 408
from 1900 Orleans Parish Death Index - C through E
http://www.usgwarchives.org/la/orleans/death-index.htm

and,
This site also recommends writing to the Archdiocese for records:
http://files.usgwarchives.org/la/orlean ... 05mgaf.txt
To get further information, you might want get a copy of the sacramental records if your ancestor was Catholic. It can be obtained by writing to the
Archdiocese Archives
1100 Chartres Ave
New Orleans, LA 70116
Valarie
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi, I believe that you have this census

1900 United States Federal Census
about Vincent Daura
Name: Vincent Daura
Home in 1900: New Orleans Ward 12, Orleans, Louisiana
Birth Date: Jan 1880
Birthplace: Italy
Race: White
Ethnicity: American
Immigration Year: 1890
Relationship to Head of House: Brother
Father's Birthplace: Italy
Mother's Name: Marie
Mother's Birthplace: Italy
Marital Status: Single
Residence : New Orleans City, Orleans, Louisiana
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Joc Daura 29 aug 1892 Italy head son of Marie and broter of Vincent
Marie Daura 65 nov 1834 Italy mother
Vincent Daura 20 jan 1880 Italy brother of Joc/Joe
Mary Daura 18 apr 1882 Italy ditto
Tony Pellery 7 nephew march 1893 Louisiana

Daura family imm. in 1890

I cannot find the ship's manifest, however abt the death records:
New Orleans, Louisiana Death Records Index, 1804-1949
about Maria Taullo Daura
Name: Maria Taullo Daura
Death Date: 17 Feb 1904
Color: W
Page: 1155
Volume: 131
seeming Maria "Taraula" Daura

I cannot find both the surnames in Italy maybe Daura is D'AURA or D'AURIA in italian spell; in 1891 New Orleans directory I found a Frank DAURIA (D'AURIA) maybe related?

Taraula spell is a mystery for me...
the best source for to know the italian birthplace is to find the WWI draft registration card for both the brothers....
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Gingergoose

Post by Gingergoose »

Hello Suanj,
Thank you for all of that. Again...I searched and searched the death records for Maria Taraula and anything that resembled that name and I missed what you came up with. With that death date I will have somthng to use to request the official death records from New Orleans or the the archdiocese.

I do have that census that you posted and that particular one confused me because it states that Vincent was born in Italy. As for his brother and sister and a "frank" Daura, these are not people that I ever knew about. Of course, I was young when I had the chance but how I wish I asked more questions about my family. Lesson to be learned there.

What section here can I post on to find how I can use these "indexes" that New Orleans and other cities make available. Do the actual indexes have more information than what is posted on the ancestry site?
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Gingergoose wrote:...What section here can I post on to find how I can use these "indexes" that New Orleans and other cities make available. Do the actual indexes have more information than what is posted on the ancestry site?
Hey Denise, usually the indexes have only the information you see on ancestry, although the indexes I posted earlier from USGenWeb did have ages. The most complete information will be on the actual certificates.
On death certificates it really depended upon who the informant was and how much they knew or remembered about the decedent.
Valarie
---

neat site:
Online Louisiana Death Records & Indexes
A Genealogy Records Guide

http://www.deathindexes.com/louisiana/index.html
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

also in 1910 census Vincent birthplace is Italy:
1910 United States Federal Census
about Vincent Dours
Name: Vincent Dours
[Vincent Dauro]
Age in 1910: 30
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1880
Relation to Head of House: Head
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Spouse's Name: Anna
Home in 1910: New Orleans Ward 13, Orleans, Louisiana

Marital Status: Married
Year of Immigration: 1875 (1885; in 1910 he was naturalized)Neighbors: View others on page
Vincent Dours 30
Anna Dours 29
Mary Dours 4
Anna Dours 3
John Defatta 63
Frank Defatta 19

Joseph:

1910 United States Federal Census
about Joseph Dura
Name: Joseph Dura
[Joseph Doura]
Age in 1910: 44
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1866

Relation to Head of House: Head
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Spouse's Name: Mariane A
Home in 1910: New Orleans Ward 12, Orleans, Louisiana
Marital Status: Married
Year of Immigration: 1888
Neighbors: View others on page
Joseph Dura 44
Mariane A Dura 42
Vich Marrella 22 stepchild
Joe Marrella 19 ditto
Frank Marrella 17 ditto
Mary Marrella 12 ditto
Tony E Douros 5 son
Epibanio Douros 3 son

maybe Virginia wife appearing in 1930 census , it is the second wife?

it are some other Daura in Mississippi, but before they was in Plaquemine, LA; well they also was of italian heritage and coming from Alia town; in Alia( Palermo, Sicily, IT) the surname spelling is D'AURA, so this could be right spelling....
the area is most probably some common in Palermo province, but I believe they coming from Alia just, because maiden name of the mother is TAULLI right italian spell, and not Taraula; if you look the death record, she is Maria Taullo Daura, and she is the mother of Vincent ... also you know that Joseph had a son Epifanio named; well also Epifanio first name, a bit particular, it was very used in Alia town

abt the Frank:
New Orleans, Louisiana Directories, 1890-1891
about Frank Dauria
Name: Frank Dauria
Location 2: 584 Baronne
Year: 1891
City: New Orleans
State: LA
I know not if he was italian or not...

other Dauras in New Orleans; marriages:
Daura Guiseppina age 19 + Ciaccia Vitale age 32 09/15/1895 Daura Rosa age 19 + Basile Francesco age 32 06/14/1891

http://files.usgwarchives.org/la/orlean ... opmbda.txt
and others as a well Vincent Daura marriage record: http://files.usgwarchives.net/la/orlean ... 05mgaf.txt
the other question.. well I know not...
however the birthplace, most probably is Alia (Palermo, Sicily); the italian surnames spell are: D'AURA and TAULLI..
best regards,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Gingergoose

Post by Gingergoose »

vj wrote:Hello!
checked your family pages on ancestry and noticed you were missing Vincenzo's WWI Card?
It's transcribed as Dausa
Valarie

1918 WWI Draft Registration Card
native born
How can I store Vincenzo's WWI card on my Ancestry/Family Tree Maker? I can't even locate it via a search on ancestry.

~Denise
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Try spelling it Dausa and put in Vincent. It should come up. It came up for me on the first try.
Gingergoose

Post by Gingergoose »

misbris wrote:Try spelling it Dausa and put in Vincent. It should come up. It came up for me on the first try.
I retrieved it. Thank you.

How did you find it originally?
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Gingergoose wrote:
misbris wrote:Try spelling it Dausa and put in Vincent. It should come up. It came up for me on the first try.
I retrieved it. Thank you.

How did you find it originally?
Hi!
I did a search in WWI Cards using Vincenzo's birth date and Orleans County LA - no name
(since you didn't have it on your family page I figured it was misspelled badly)

(Hi mj! :D )
DeadAt40

Post by DeadAt40 »

My Great Grandfather was also named Vincent d'Aura. He came through New Orleans as well but he was born in 1869, and was maried to Angelina Trippe. They had to be related. His father was Rosolino d'Aura, and His mother was Salvadora Maria Blanda. They settled in Harrison County Mississippi, and had 15 children. We are pretty regular with family reunions, and they are quite large.
'
Gingergoose

Post by Gingergoose »

Hi!

My grandfather Vincenzo's parents were Antonio "Daura" and Maria Taullo. It drives me crazy because it is as though these people dropped from the face of the Earth because I can find no New Orleans death records for them and I can't even find Antonio on a census.

I did find an "Antonino" death record but the dates do not match up.

Like you said, chances are that they were somehow related.

Denise