Pasquale Palena, Volturara, Foggia, Italy

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
FoggiaPalace

Pasquale Palena, Volturara, Foggia, Italy

Post by FoggiaPalace »

I'm looking for birth information about my great grandfather, Pasquale Palena. On Pasquale's Ellis Island record, it indicates that he was born on March 2, 1897 in Volturara Appula. However, I have searched the 1897 and 1898 Volturara Mormon micro film records and written to the Town of Volturara and not located any birth certificate. I have specifically asked the Town of Volturara to look in both their regular birth registries and miscellaneous adoption/abandonment or atti di diviersi, but they just responded to me by saying that there is no 1897 birth record for Pasquale Palena. I think part of my problem is that I do not speak Italian, so I'm not able to easily convey information to them, but I feel that I've provided specific enough information for them to do the search.
On Pasquale's marriage certificate he listed his mother's name as Luisi Colagrossi and the Ellis Island record indicated that he has uncles named
Michele Iavagnilio, Domenico Iavaganilio and Pasquale Ruggiero. If anyone has information about Pasquale, how to proceed with my search or relatives in the Foggia area, please let me know!!

Thanks..
misbris
Master
Master

Re: Pasquale Palena, Volturara, Foggia, Italy

Post by misbris »

Hi and welcome to the forum,

Is it possible that he was born in Volturara Irpina in Avellino?

Family History Center also has microfilm for that town.

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library ... umns=*,0,0
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

By pass the Comune of Volturara Appula 71030 and send a request for Pasquale Palena military records..His REGISTRO DI LEVA=Conscription records which will showbirthdate and birthplace and family biography which will substantiate your claim where he was born.

Go to www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwisdom/saviello2.html (last page). The form letter in Italian will be suitable to make this request inthe provincial capital of Foggia.

Mail to Archivio di Stato di Foggia, Sezione Militare, Piazza XX Settembre 3 71100, Corso Giuseppe Galribaldi 31/A 71100, Foggia, Puglia Italy.

=Peter=
~Peter~
FoggiaPalace

Post by FoggiaPalace »

All of Pasquale's record from the US including the Ellis Island ship manifest
and WWI draft registration card indicate that he was born on March 2, 1897 in Volturara Appula. I have not checked the Volturara Irpina records, but I suspect that he is *not* there.

Pasquale emigrated out of the port of Naples, Italy and to the US in 1912.
On the ship manifest it indicates September 12, 1912 arrival into New York.
So, would he still have an Italian Military record if he immigrated to the US at the age of 15? At what age did they file a record for military service in Italy?
Also, I've been told that Pasquale had to use an Italian passport to aid in filling out the ship manifest. How can I obtain a copy of the passport record??
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Military service in Italy begins at age 18 and so he would not have to serve if he immigrated prior to that age. A passport inItaly is issued by the Questura at the provincial level buttheir archives are not open to the public but you may write for passport information if you wish.

While we are at it you may wish to go to the following form letter website and try again. http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... tters.html
=Peter=
~Peter~
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Hello!

can you tell us where did he lived in the U.S.?

Laura
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Peter,
Pasquale sure no made the military service (Ruolo Matricolare ), but it is possible that he appearing in Liste di Leva, that was written up 1 or 2 years before of 1915 ( 1897+18; Lista di leva= medical check up for military service) by Common for all men born in same year...
so it is possible that the Lista di Leva was written up and he resulting absent because in foreign country.... and in any case must show the exact birth date, the exact birth Common and parent's name .... that is possible.... or maybe could be possible to see the 18976/7/8 Mormon's microfilms all complete years and also in Atti Diversi.... as a well could be that the born under other surname and recognized only some year after the birth by the father... that happens in some other case... so the problem is that or the civil records officer or others must search very well in birth registries or in the Volturara Appula birth microfilms...
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Have you tried to ask for his naturalization papers?

http://www.in.gov/serv/icpr_naturalization

ICPR's Naturalized Immigrant Search Page
Your search for:
Last Name: POLINO
First Name:
County: ALL COUNTIES
produced the following results:
Last Name First Name Nationality Date of Arrival Record Location
POLINO PATSY ITALY 1912/09/18 ELKHART COUNTY, BOOK 21, PAGE 466
POLINO PATSY ITALY 1912/09/18 ELKHART COUNTY, BOOK 22, PAGE 246

you should be able to find new clues...

Laura
FoggiaPalace

Post by FoggiaPalace »

I will look for both the passport and medical checkup papers. However, I'm not sure why they would have to do a medical checkup before age 18. This is provided 18 is the age for Military service.

Yes, I have those declaration of intent papers. I think that is the same as naturalization papers? After he immigrated to the US, his name was changed from Pasquale Palena to Patsy Polino. These papers have some interesting information about his height, weight and physical markings, but nothing new that helps me with the birth certificate. On these papers, it also mentions that he was supposed to be born on March 2, 1897 in Volturara Appula. All of the US records must have been taken from the same Ellis Island record. I've been told that the Ellis Island record comes from an Italian passport, so I don't know how they could list the wrong year or Town. Dealing with the Town of Volturara has been frustrating. Here is a typical response from them:

["Facendo seguito alla Vostra sopra indicata, si ribadisce quanto già comunicato in precedenza e cioè che nei registri di nascita dell’anno 1897, non vi è alcuna persona avente le generalità di PALENA Pasquale nato il 02/03/ 1897."

Distinti saluti

Leonardo MONTANARO]

I want them to look at the atti di diversi, but I'm not sure if they don't want to do the search or perhaps there is no atti di diversi for 1897. They told me that I'm lacking precise information, but I've sent them the Ellis Island record and his WWII draft card and indicated that he may have been abandoned or adopted.
FoggiaPalace

Post by FoggiaPalace »

Also, Pasquale (Patsy) immigrated to Harrison Rd, Elkhart, Indiana, USA in 1912.

I've heard that Harrison Rd in Eklhart was the "Little Italy" of that era. I think he lived with the Iavagnilio and Colagrossi families in Elkhart.
qesya

Post by qesya »

FoggiaPalace wrote:I'm looking for birth information about my great grandfather, Pasquale Palena. On Pasquale's Ellis Island record, it indicates that he was born on March 2, 1897 in Volturara Appula. However, I have searched the 1897 and 1898 Volturara Mormon micro film records and written to the Town of Volturara and not located any birth certificate. I have specifically asked the Town of Volturara to look in both their regular birth registries and miscellaneous adoption/abandonment or atti di diviersi, but they just responded to me by saying that there is no 1897 birth record for Pasquale Palena. I think part of my problem is that I do not speak Italian, so I'm not able to easily convey information to them, but I feel that I've provided specific enough information for them to do the search.
On Pasquale's marriage certificate he listed his mother's name as Luisi Colagrossi and the Ellis Island record indicated that he has uncles named
Michele Iavagnilio, Domenico Iavaganilio and Pasquale Ruggiero. If anyone has information about Pasquale, how to proceed with my search or relatives in the Foggia area, please let me know!!

Thanks..
qesya

Post by qesya »

hi Im palena Pasquale from Manfredonia ( FOGGIA ) my grandfather was Palena Pasquale from Monte S. Angelo ( FOGGIA
)....what do you want to know? :-)
qesya

Post by qesya »

hi Im palena Pasquale from Manfredonia ( FOGGIA ) my grandfather was Palena Pasquale from Monte S. Angelo ( FOGGIA
)....what do you want to know?
I have also a friend Colagrossi...:-)
FoggiaPalace

Post by FoggiaPalace »

To qesya:

What year was your grandfather born? Do you have any relatives in Volturara Appula or San Marco La Catola?