Lucca,Italy 1871

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
dikitalian

Lucca,Italy 1871

Post by dikitalian »

My great grandfather John Cardosi emigrated to the USA in 1871. We were always told that he left to avoid conscription in the Franco-Prussian war. Does this make sense? Does anyone have any info on the factors affecting immigration from Lucca in 1871?
He settled in Covington,KY and ran a store and livery stable for many years.
Thanks,
dik
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Lucca,Italy 1871

Post by jcsm400 »

Hi dik & welcome to the forum.

The Franco-Prussian War (July 19, 1870 to May 10, 1871) was between Prussia & France. Italy never became an allie, so I'm not sure if this war could have been a factor in his immigration to the US. Do you know when he came in 1871?

I found a manifest listing for a Giovanni (John) Cardosi, age 29 (b. abt 1842), who arrived in NY on 7/22/1871, but the 1920 census information for him shows his age as 69 (b. abt. 1851). Not sure if it is the correct manifest for your g. grandfather.

Link to information on the Franco-Prussian War.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franco-Pru ... _diplomacy

Are you interested in tracing the family or just verifying the family information?

jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
dikitalian

Post by dikitalian »

Thanks jcsm,
John was 69 in 1920 so he was born in 1851. I am particularly interested in John but would like to gather more info on the family as well. I know John married Anna Orzalli, also from Lucca, in 1874.
Sincerely,
dik
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

Hi dik,

Were they from the town of Lucca or the province of Lucca? To trace the family in Italy, you need the exact town informatio, since birth, marriage, & death records are kept in the town the event occurred in. Did John & Anna marry here or in Italy. What US records have you obtained for John, Anna & their family? Childrens' birth records? Death records for John & Anna, John's naturalization record? Church records?

jcsm
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

Hello,
if you don't know where your Giovanni Cardosi was born (the right place in the province of Lucca), you can request his military draft card to Archivio di Stato di Lucca
All the men around 18 years old used to be listed to check up for military service or to go to war.
You can request his "lista di leva" and, if any, you will find right date and place of birth, name of parents,
I hope it helps bye Riccardo :lol:
Esperanza
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Esperanza »

Here is a manifest of a Cardosi-Orzali

Her last residence was Ponte de Moriano, Lucca

The manifest shows she was born in Borgo (Barga maybe)

She would be going to Covington, Kentucky to join her brother in law Jaque Orzali

Her husband is listed as Alberto Orzali living at 505 Russell St., Covington

Page 1 Manifest

Page 2 Manifest

First Name: L. Nella
Last Name: Cardosi Orzali
Ethnicity: Italy, S.
Last Place of Residence: Ponte a Moriano, Italy
Date of Arrival: Mar 30, 1924
Age at Arrival: 28 Gender: F Marital Status: M
Ship of Travel: Conte Rosso
Port of Departure: Genoa
Manifest Line Number: 0007

Hope this information helps you with the general area in Italy

Speranza
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

Hi Esperanza,

Nice find!.... and..... Welcome to the forum!

jcsm
dikitalian

Post by dikitalian »

Wow!
You guys are awesome.
I will try to email the Lucca archives source as I dont understand enough Italian to navigate the website.
Grazie!
dik
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

ricbru wrote:Hello,
if you don't know where your Giovanni Cardosi was born (the right place in the province of Lucca), you can request his military draft card to Archivio di Stato di Lucca
All the men around 18 years old used to be listed to check up for military service or to go to war.
You can request his "lista di leva" and, if any, you will find right date and place of birth, name of parents,
I hope it helps bye Riccardo :lol:
Hi Riccardo,

The Italian military records and draft cards are mysteries to me. I mean I know what they are, but if you don't know the parent's names, how do you know that you got the correct record, when you consider the naming tradition in Italy? ........There could be more than one, John Doe, born ? 1900 in a comune & in a province.........??

jcsm
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

Jcsm,
yes, in the same repository you may find records of different people born in the same year and with the same name.
So I suggest you to check on the U.S. records of your ancestor where you surely find the name of his parents (passport, manifest ship, naturalization record, marriage license and marriage record, social security death index, death record and cemetery record)
I hope it helps,
bye Riccardo
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

Hi Riccardo,

Thanks for the reply & yes it does help......I always hesitated recommending going after these records when the parent information was not known, so you confirmed that their (parents) information is needed.

Many thanks.
Your student, jcsm :)
dikitalian

Post by dikitalian »

So I was wrong earlier. Giovanni Cardosi 1850-1940, was married to Anna Pardi. I am pretty sure he was from Barga, Italy. Giovanni's siblings were Elena, who married Pietro Magri; Fortunato who married Maria Arrighi, Annina, Teresa, who moved to Brazil, and Pietro, 10-10-1861/9-26-1922, who changed name to Cardoso and moved to Brazil and the Argentina.

Giovanni's parents were Alesssandro Cardosi and Maria Mucci. Alessandro's Father was Michelle Cardosi.

I have more info if anyone needs it. I would like to identify relatives and the ancestral home in Barga? for a visit there. Meanwhile Io studio Italiano.
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Unfortunately LDS records for Barga begin in 1866, but you might find marriage records.

http://en.comuni-italiani.it/082/062/index.html

To find possible family, use this site.

http://www.paginebianche.it/execute.cgi ... barga&ind=
juannovilloastrada

Post by juannovilloastrada »

Dear Richard,
I make reference to your message of Sep 22, 2009. I'm a great-grand-son of Pietro Cardosi (Pedro Cardoso). I wonder how you know the dates of birth and death, bravo! I have just learned them after months of tracing.
I know there are some relatives in Porto Alegre, Brazil, and of course in Argentina.
A cousin of my mother promissed to send me a photograph where there are two sons of Pietro Cardosi with an italian Cardosi in front of the house of the family in Filecchio, Comune di Barga, Provincia di Lucca. I will scan it an send it to you as soon as I receive it if it is of your interest.
I'm particularly interested in the birth/baptism certificate of Pietro Cardosi. Do you have any idea of how to get it?
I'm very happy to find cousins in the web.
All the best
Italven

Post by Italven »

You guys are going to laugh at this.

The families Rigali, Da’ Prato, Cardosi, and Biagi are all interrelated and all of them come from Barga.

A large portion of the Cardosi family went to Venezuela and Argentina, and another came to the USA.

I am the great-grand-son of Luigi Rigali who was cousin of Pietro Da’ Prato and nephew of Antonio Cardosi.

Luigi an Antonio constantly traveled between Chicago and Venezuela, and Pietro Stayed in Chicago.

They were big time sculptors of arts, specially Religious Sculptures.

Ciao!

Emiro Sangiovanni
Genealogia Italiana en Venezuela
www.italven.org