Time Frame

Genetic genealogy is the application of genetics to traditional genealogy. Genetic genealogy involves the use of genealogical DNA testing to determine the level and type of the genetic relationship between individuals.
MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Re: Time Frame

Post by MarcuccioV »

As far as my report goes, another thing I personally have to take into consideration is that the documentation (which began in their town in 1871) might be speculative at best as to birthplaces. Although the administrators reported in the death acts that all my relatives (thus far) were born in that same town, I suspect that may not be fully accurate. I have to assume that if there were no children locally or perhaps children were not aware of their ancestor's origins, then the administrators just 'guessed' and defaulted to the town. I found a few mistakes as to parent's names as well, so this makes sense to me...
Mark

If you ignore your foundation, your house will eventually collapse...

Surnames: Attiani Belli Bucci Calvano Cerci DelBrusco Falera Latini Marsili Mattia Mezzo Nardecchia Pellegrini Piacentini Pizzuti Pontecorvo Recchia Topani Ziantona & Zorli
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

MarcuccioV wrote: 01 Apr 2021, 15:28 AncestryItalian.jpg

This is what my 23&Me report looks like. It shows 52.7% Italian, then breaks it up by region, using maps & shading. Since this gives info back approx 200 years, that would cover your time frame.
And your paper trail is 50% Italian?

The breakdown by region doesn't show percentages?

Covering the last 200 years helps, but already have a solid paper trail back to the mid-1700s for both Sicilian grandparents. Since they were 3rd cousins, there some commonality, too.

I'd like to pick it up in the 1700s and work back in time. The church records have been destroyed, and I've already checked the Riveli. So, DNA is probably the only avenue left.

There's a story from a distant cousin that we came to Sicily from Bari on the mainland, but I can't find any such evidence.
MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Post by MarcuccioV »

Percentages as numbers, no. Only the shading. I believe that pertains to time, such as when ancestors from a certain region ended up where they did. Oddly, mine shows Campania over Lazio, even though my family came from Lazio (in recent generations), so it may be a percentage of ancestry from those regions. My paper trail is 50% Italian, yes. ALL from the same town, but I don't know the accuracy of the birthplaces of anyone who was born prior to 1871. I believe that was either speculation or simply laziness on the part of the administrators of the newly-formed Italian State...
Mark

If you ignore your foundation, your house will eventually collapse...

Surnames: Attiani Belli Bucci Calvano Cerci DelBrusco Falera Latini Marsili Mattia Mezzo Nardecchia Pellegrini Piacentini Pizzuti Pontecorvo Recchia Topani Ziantona & Zorli