Milan Comune (or nearby) to Apply for Citizenship Jure Sanguinis?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
mondolfo21

Milan Comune (or nearby) to Apply for Citizenship Jure Sanguinis?

Post by mondolfo21 »

I'm currently in the document-gathering phase of applying for citizenship Jure Sanguinis and will be applying through a comune in Italy because this is apparently much faster and easier than doing it through my home US consulate, which is booked out years in advance.

For a few reasons Milan seems like a good place for me to move to and apply for citizenship through.

I was hoping someone might share their experience applying through the Milan comune. They seem organized but I'm especially concerned with this one statement on their website
(https://www.comune.milano.it/servizi/ci ... iscendenza):

"For those coming from non-EU countries

- original certification of the country of origin (birth, marriage, death relating to the ascending ancestors and negative certificate of naturalization of the Italian ancestor)
- the certification must be translated and legalized in Italian by our Embassy or from a Consulate abroad
"

Now this requirement seems like it could be a problem because neither my home consulate, other consulates I've checked, nor the embassy in DC offer translation services, and they apparently only offer certification of documents to Italian citizens (which I am of course not yet). Effectively, it seems that if this requirement is real, it's impossible for someone from the US to satisfy these requirements and apply for JS citizenship in Milan.

So my question is, is this an actual requirement that the Milan comune has? Does anyone have experience applying through Milan and was it straightforward and easy, without any Catch-22s like this?

I will be able to get all the documents apostilled and translated, but I don't think I can get them further certified and translated (it seems) by the Italian consulates/embassy in the US.

Bergamo comune does not seem to list this requirement on its website, which is encouraging. I also wonder if anyone has had good experiences with nearby comunes like Bergamo or Monza, or others in the vicinity?

And in general, if anybody has had a streamlined process anywhere else in Italy, feel free to chime in as well! Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Re: Milan Comune (or nearby) to Apply for Citizenship Jure Sanguinis?

Post by Italysearcher »

The certificate must be translated into Italian and legalized (usually means a 'marca da bollo' must be affixed) by the Embassy in Italia or an Italian Consulate in another country.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.