Help to find where my ancestor came from in Italy

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
jaspcardoso

Help to find where my ancestor came from in Italy

Post by jaspcardoso »

Hello everyone, i'm new here and i've found this forum trying to look for information where my ancestor came from.
I saw that has a lot of people around here that helps others and I was hoping that someone could help me too.
I will make a resume
I'm looking for Antonio Abbate born in 1878 (presumed by the passenger's list), son of Felice Abbate (1851) and Maria Piacente(1842). Other brothers were: Leopoldo Abbate (1872), Anna Abbate (1873) and Antonia (1883).They all came to Brazil with their family, being Felice Abbate the chief of the family. They came into Amazone boat in 1895. In the list doesn't tell from witch place they were. We have a lot of family members that tells that they heard they are from Calabria.
They came to São Paulo in Brazil in countryside cities like Taquaritinga, Santa Rita do Passa Quatro, Monte Alto and closer ones.
People told me to try to look for "Liste di leva" but I couldn't find any online way to see those. I saw some in family search but it needs to go to a family center and all are closed here because of the covid restrictions.
We have build our tree in family search and put some things there.
I hope someone could give me a hint, I'm looking for a clue about this place for a long time and no success at all.
Thanks in advanced for the one who read and helped! :D
greglam
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Help to find where my ancestor came from in Italy

Post by greglam »

Hello Friend,

I did a quick Google search for you on the term "Abbate cognome diffusione". Basically, "distribution of the surname Abbate". The two regions with the highest concentration of Abbate are Campania and Sicilia.

Here is a link to the map: https://www.cognomix.it/mappe-dei-cogno ... ani/ABBATE

There were more results of course, but that search term and the map will be a good place to start.

Buona Fortuna!
-Greg
jaspcardoso

Post by jaspcardoso »

greglam wrote: 02 Sep 2021, 12:39 Hello Friend,

I did a quick Google search for you on the term "Abbate cognome diffusione". Basically, "distribution of the surname Abbate". The two regions with the highest concentration of Abbate are Campania and Sicilia.

Here is a link to the map: https://www.cognomix.it/mappe-dei-cogno ... ani/ABBATE

There were more results of course, but that search term and the map will be a good place to start.

Buona Fortuna!
-Greg
Yes, I saw that. The problem is that those regions has a large number of comunes and I have no idea how to start from there. Already saw people telling to spam emails to all comunes and see what came from this, but already saw people telling that this isn't a good practice (I personally agree with that).

So, I came here to see if anyone could help me find something that I'm missing
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

jaspcardoso wrote: 31 Aug 2021, 00:50 Hello everyone, i'm new here and i've found this forum trying to look for information where my ancestor came from.
I saw that has a lot of people around here that helps others and I was hoping that someone could help me too.
I will make a resume
I'm looking for Antonio Abbate born in 1878 (presumed by the passenger's list), son of Felice Abbate (1851) and Maria Piacente(1842). Other brothers were: Leopoldo Abbate (1872), Anna Abbate (1873) and Antonia (1883).They all came to Brazil with their family, being Felice Abbate the chief of the family. They came into Amazone boat in 1895. In the list doesn't tell from witch place they were. We have a lot of family members that tells that they heard they are from Calabria.
They came to São Paulo in Brazil in countryside cities like Taquaritinga, Santa Rita do Passa Quatro, Monte Alto and closer ones.
People told me to try to look for "Liste di leva" but I couldn't find any online way to see those. I saw some in family search but it needs to go to a family center and all are closed here because of the covid restrictions.
I hope someone could give me a hint, I'm looking for a clue about this place for a long time and no success at all.
the surname could be Abate and no Abbate:
http://www.inci.org.br/acervodigital/up ... 47_209.pdf
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

jaspcardoso wrote: 31 Aug 2021, 00:50 Hello everyone, i'm new here and i've found this forum trying to look for information where my ancestor came from.
I will make a resume
and yes the family coming from Calabria region, so no doubts abt that.. it is wrote clearly on the Jacomo >Abbate birth records, son of Antonio https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=2016194

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

The wife of Antonio Abate/Abbate was Giulia Maracchione arrived in Brasil on 1901 http://www.inci.org.br/acervodigital/up ... 69_118.pdf
she was born in IRSINA, MATERA IT on 17 aug 1881 daughter of Giacobbe and of Caterina Gurrado...
https://www.antenati.san.beniculturali. ... 21/wkak8xg

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

I searched the marriage of Leopoldo (Polito) but no luck abt italian birthplace
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=2177299