Dialect and slang of eastern Lazio

As a nation state, Italy has emerged only in 1871. Until then the country was politically divided into a large number of independant cities, provinces and islands. The currently available evidences point out to a dominant Etruscan, Greek and Roman cultural influence on today's Italians.
MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Dialect and slang of eastern Lazio

Post by MarcuccioV »

I’m curious if anyone knows anything about dialects from eastern Lazio. My grandparents were both born there (as were several generations prior), all from the same town. But it seems some of the dialect and slang they used sounds like it may have originated in other regions where more distant ancestors may have come from. I can only suppose perhaps the families brought their dialects and slang with them.

For example, my grandmother’s pronunciation for the word “questo” sounded like “keesh-toe”, which sounds closer to Sicilian. Oftentimes “qua” was changed to “qui”, and “I’m here”, instead of “sono qui”, would come out as “qui stao” (stao being a corruption of stato).

Sometimes words would get ‘cut’ in somewhat of a Barese fashion: “No lo voglio” was shortened & pronounced like “no wah”; “basta” for “bastanza”

Other words seemed perhaps locally originated – instead of “pazzo”, we substituted “matto” (perhaps a corruption of “materasso”)..? Usually when referring to someone it would be said “matt’an capo” (crazy in the head). “Cappoccia” often replaced “testa”.

Lastly, my grandmother never used the term “scarafaggi” to describe cockroaches or water beetles, instead she called them “bacherozzi” – I thought she was Italianizing the English word “bug”, but I found it in an Italian-language article once…
Mark

If you ignore your foundation, your house will eventually collapse...

Surnames: Attiani Belli Bucci Calvano Cerci DelBrusco Falera Latini Marsili Mattia Mezzo Nardecchia Pellegrini Piacentini Pizzuti Pontecorvo Recchia Topani Ziantona & Zorli
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Re: Dialect and slang of eastern Lazio

Post by darkerhorse »

The only Italian I remember was 'Take-a you jack, an put-a in-a da closs."
MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Post by MarcuccioV »

darkerhorse wrote: 22 Oct 2021, 04:19 The only Italian I remember was 'Take-a you jack, an put-a in-a da closs."
Oh, I could go on for days with those... :lol:
Mark

Surnames: Attiani Belli Bucci Calvano Cerci DelBrusco Falera Latini Marsili Mattia Mezzo Nardecchia Pellegrini Piacentini Pizzuti Pontecorvo Recchia Topani Ziantona & Zorli
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

MarcuccioV wrote: 22 Oct 2021, 03:04 For example, my grandmother’s pronunciation for the word “questo” sounded like “keesh-toe”, which sounds closer to Sicilian. Oftentimes “qua” was changed to “qui”, and “I’m here”, instead of “sono qui”, would come out as “qui stao” (stao being a corruption of stato).
"qui" e "qua" have the same meaning in Italian; instead of "qui stao", I'd say "qui sto". Also, in most areas of Lazio out of Roma, or in Abruzzo, "st" is pronounced "sht"; this is called in Roma "parlata burina", meaning the way of speaking of people coming from the country
Sometimes words would get ‘cut’ in somewhat of a Barese fashion: “No lo voglio” was shortened & pronounced like “no wah”; “basta” for “bastanza”

Other words seemed perhaps locally originated – instead of “pazzo”, we substituted “matto” (perhaps a corruption of “materasso”)..? Usually when referring to someone it would be said “matt’an capo” (crazy in the head). “Cappoccia” often replaced “testa”.
"Matto" is almost equivalent to "pazzo", in Italian; I'd say, like "mad" and "crazy"? "Capoccia" is used in dialect for "testa" (but I think everyone in Italy understands the meaning
Lastly, my grandmother never used the term “scarafaggi” to describe cockroaches or water beetles, instead she called them “bacherozzi” – I thought she was Italianizing the English word “bug”, but I found it in an Italian-language article once…
and yes, "bacherozzi" or "bacarozzi" is dialect for "scarafaggi", but that goes the same as for "capoccia" (everyone would understand)
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Post by MarcuccioV »

PippoM wrote: 22 Oct 2021, 08:30
MarcuccioV wrote: 22 Oct 2021, 03:04 For example, my grandmother’s pronunciation for the word “questo” sounded like “keesh-toe”, which sounds closer to Sicilian. Oftentimes “qua” was changed to “qui”, and “I’m here”, instead of “sono qui”, would come out as “qui stao” (stao being a corruption of stato).
"qui" e "qua" have the same meaning in Italian; instead of "qui stao", I'd say "qui sto". Also, in most areas of Lazio out of Roma, or in Abruzzo, "st" is pronounced "sht"; this is called in Roma "parlata burina", meaning the way of speaking of people coming from the country

"Matto" is almost equivalent to "pazzo", in Italian; I'd say, like "mad" and "crazy"? "Capoccia" is used in dialect for "testa" (but I think everyone in Italy understands the meaning
and yes, "bacherozzi" or "bacarozzi" is dialect for "scarafaggi", but that goes the same as for "capoccia" (everyone would understand)
Thanks, Pippo. There are others, but these were what I thought of. We had many friends/relations from different parts of Italy/Sicily, it was fun to hear them all at one table (literally having 6 conversations simultaneously) using their various dialects...
Mark

MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Post by MarcuccioV »

Pippo, your comment about "parlata burina" (country speak) made me think-- my grandmother's birth act shows the family residence as "Via del Capo Croce" which doesn't exist on current maps of Valmontone. She came to the US (as my grandfather's new bride) at age 19 (1922) but was never able to shed her "contadina" lifestyle -- she always dressed in a peasant style (except for special occasions) and my cousins all called her the 'farmwoman' even though they lived in the city (Detroit, followed later by Los Angeles) and my grandfather was an autoworker and very "Americanized"...
Mark

MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Post by MarcuccioV »

I found a Catasto Gregoriano listing brogliardi from Valmontone about 1848. In referring to the map I found 'Capo Croce' which was near the center of the old "hilltop" part of town. The area has been reconfigured somewhat (I assume due to the mass destruction from WWII bombings of the town) and streets re-routed and renamed.

So perhaps earlier generations in my grandmother's family may have migrated in from more rural environs and she just mirrored their speech style. I don't know much about her early years but she did have very much an air of a "country girl" without much refinement (I don't necessarily say that in a negative context).

Since her mtDNA comes from Sicily it would lead to the assumption that at least SOME of her family were likely migrant farmers and worked their way north with time...
Mark

MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Post by MarcuccioV »

I remember another dialect word -- used for sewer rat -- "zoccala/zoccali/zoccalone" instead of "ratto/ratti". However, mouse was the typical "sorcio/sorci". We didn't use "topo/topi". Probably just more "parlatta burina".

Do you know this one, Pippo Moccaldi..?
Mark

PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

Yes, the word is "zoccola". It is considered an unpolite word, and is also used with reference...ehm...to a woman, I'd say, like "bitch". I think is a southern word, while "sorcio" is used everywhere, to mean a country mouse (small).

MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Post by MarcuccioV »

PippoM wrote: 02 Nov 2021, 12:01 Yes, the word is "zoccola". It is considered an unpolite word, and is also used with reference...ehm...to a woman, I'd say, like "bitch". I think is a southern word, while "sorcio" is used everywhere, to mean a country mouse (small).
A lot of my ancestry is southern, including Sicilian. I never heard it used in that context you describe that I recall, only to describe rats (that's the only word we used for rats). For the use you describe, I only recall the more mild "zingara" (gypsy) or typical "puttana" (prostitute)...
Mark

MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Post by MarcuccioV »

Pippo, I thought of another word she used in which she used the "sh" sound -- "bosco" (woods; although she used it for overgrowth). It was pronounced 'bosh-co'.

If this too is "parlata burina" (or perhaps Abruzzese dialect) it must be from far back. She and all family members I can find in her line were born/raised in the old hilltop part of Valmontone, not anywhere in the hinterlands. She was also born in 1902 and attended school & was not illiterate (although previous family members were).

My DNA DOES suggest strong ties to Abruzzo but I can't get back far enough to find it. Her direct female line goes back to Sicily, and although not quite as strong, it is still significant...
Mark

PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

MarcuccioV wrote: 06 Jan 2022, 17:54
Pippo, I thought of another word she used in which she used the "sh" sound -- "bosco" (woods; although she used it for overgrowth). It was pronounced 'bosh-co'.
It's not a matter of education...that is very common in the areas with that characteristic, regardless of people's studies. In the area of Naples, an "s" followed by a consonant is pronounced "sh" ("shp", "shca","shf"...except "st", that is pronounced like in Italian, unlike in Abruzzo). And you would find doctors or university professors who can't get rid of this kind of pronounce.

MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Post by MarcuccioV »

Mille grazie for the information..! I do ALSO have genetic ties to Campania.
Mark

AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

MarcuccioV wrote: 22 Oct 2021, 03:04

We used the word "avvastanza" in the dialect we spoke. I remember "basta" and "bastanza" being used as well and understood them to be dialect, but maybe not.... and that the Italian word for "enough" was "abbastanza"???

MarcuccioV wrote: 01 Nov 2021, 18:47 I remember another dialect word -- used for sewer rat -- "zoccala/zoccali/zoccalone" instead of "ratto/ratti". However, mouse was the typical "sorcio/sorci".

I remember the word "zoccala" for rat as well, not specifically "sewer rat" though - I suppose "nu zoccalone" might be a "big rat"?

The word we used for mouse was "sorece" which is a little different from "typical".

Angela
MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Post by MarcuccioV »

AngelaGrace56 wrote: 11 Jan 2022, 00:21

I remember the word "zoccala" for rat as well, not specifically "sewer rat" though - I suppose "nu zoccalone" might be a "big rat"?

The word we used for mouse was "sorece" which is a little different from "typical".

Angela
Angela,

"Sewer rat" was more of an Americanism. Since my grandparents anchored in Detroit, Michigan, large rats were common in the alleys (where garbage was kept) & lived in the sewers underground. They were considerably fatter/bigger than the standard Norway rat, due to plentiful food sources. Therefore, the term 'zoccalone' was used to describe them, whereas 'zoccali' would be more typical Norway rats.

Where is the dialect you describe native to..? My DNA links to Campania, Abruzzo, Sicilia and Puglia in addition to Lazio. I'm sure these dialects were a combination of all of those to some extent...
Mark