On ship manifests from the late 19th century, Italian women almost always used their maiden names. But what does it mean when they didn't?
Here is the situation:
On one ship manifest, I found my ancestor Francesco Mercurio and his wife Paola Bova, she using her maiden name. Both of his sister-in ...
Search found 6 matches
- 10 Jan 2008, 14:22
- Forum: Italian History & Culture
- Topic: Maiden names and cases of women not using them
- Replies: 5
- Views: 9633
- 05 Jan 2008, 00:30
- Forum: Italian History & Culture
- Topic: "Common law" marriage and illegitimate children
- Replies: 3
- Views: 8694
Re: "Common law" marriage and illegitimate childre
The Filippo and Nunzia I mentioned were from Termini Imerese, Palermo province, Sicily.
Thank you for the above information. The marriage record was an "Atto della Solenne Promessa di celebrare il Matrimonio," with the entry for the actual church wedding in the right column, indicating that the ...
Thank you for the above information. The marriage record was an "Atto della Solenne Promessa di celebrare il Matrimonio," with the entry for the actual church wedding in the right column, indicating that the ...
- 04 Jan 2008, 21:37
- Forum: Italian History & Culture
- Topic: "Common law" marriage and illegitimate children
- Replies: 3
- Views: 8694
"Common law" marriage and illegitimate children
I came across the following situation in my genealogical research:
Filippo lost his wife and son to cholera, then about three years later began having children with his deceased wife's sister, Nunzia. On each child's birth record, Nunzia is called "sua sposa [his wife]" and the couple is referred ...
Filippo lost his wife and son to cholera, then about three years later began having children with his deceased wife's sister, Nunzia. On each child's birth record, Nunzia is called "sua sposa [his wife]" and the couple is referred ...
- 12 Feb 2007, 20:03
- Forum: Italian Genealogy
- Topic: Francesco (Frank) Mercurio and Family
- Replies: 8
- Views: 9331
Re: Francesco (Frank) Mercurio and Family
I don't think that these are the same people, then, because I know for sure that Frank Mercurio and family came from Termini-Imerese in Sicily. Thank you for replying, though.
- 12 Feb 2007, 03:33
- Forum: Italian Genealogy
- Topic: Frank Mercurio Obituary
- Replies: 0
- Views: 3117
Frank Mercurio Obituary
I am researching my great-great grandfather and am trying to find his parents, and the way he is connected to the other Mercurios in Richmond, IN. I hope this is a helpful record to someone. If you know anything about his family and its connections, please reply.
>From the _Palladium Item_ and _Sun ...
>From the _Palladium Item_ and _Sun ...
- 12 Feb 2007, 03:32
- Forum: Italian Genealogy
- Topic: Francesco (Frank) Mercurio and Family
- Replies: 8
- Views: 9331
Francesco (Frank) Mercurio and Family
I am researching the Mercurio famiy line that came from Sicily and settled in Richmond, Indiana between the years 1885 and 1900. I am also interested in their Sicilian origin and the group that founded a fruit market in Richmond, thriving in the 1920s and 1930s. The specific ancestor I am looking ...