Search found 10 matches
- 10 Oct 2010, 18:45
- Forum: Locations in Italy
- Topic: Should I e-mail comune first?
- Replies: 4
- Views: 3261
Re: Should I e-mail comune first?
I think I am going to take your advice and e-mail first to ask how much payment is so that I can send it in with my written request. Writing in Italian is not a problem for me, I have the exact names and dates already as well.
- 10 Oct 2010, 07:19
- Forum: Locations in Italy
- Topic: Should I e-mail comune first?
- Replies: 4
- Views: 3261
Should I e-mail comune first?
I need to write to Carlentini and Augusta (both in Siracusa), to request one birth certificate from each comune. Would I be better off e-mailing my request to the comune before I try mailing letters? I already have letters written up but I am unsure whether or not they would be appropriate sent as e ...
- 05 Oct 2010, 21:05
- Forum: Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship
- Topic: 1910 census and citizenship status?
- Replies: 16
- Views: 6763
Re: 1910 census and citizenship status?
I suppose you're right, that is definitely possible. OK so I don't feel like such a nut job for holding out hope on this whole thing! It's only a difference of 3 years, that's what I keep telling myself. And thank you to Laura for digging up the Douglas Country naturalization records document, that ...
- 05 Oct 2010, 20:23
- Forum: Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship
- Topic: 1910 census and citizenship status?
- Replies: 16
- Views: 6763
Re: 1910 census and citizenship status?
Thank you, I'm going to see if I can check that book out of my local library. Even if I'm not able to get citizenship, I'm still interested in finding out more about my family and our history.
Is there any incentive for people to have lied on the census papers and state they were naturalized ...
Is there any incentive for people to have lied on the census papers and state they were naturalized ...
- 05 Oct 2010, 08:40
- Forum: Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship
- Topic: 1910 census and citizenship status?
- Replies: 16
- Views: 6763
Re: 1910 census and citizenship status?
Oh no...
Thanks for your help, but it appears I have been stopped short in my quest for citizenship. My GF was born in 1922, but his parents were naturalized in 1919 according to the 1920 census.
So I guess this means I'm out of luck, then? It doesn't matter that they had three children born ...
Thanks for your help, but it appears I have been stopped short in my quest for citizenship. My GF was born in 1922, but his parents were naturalized in 1919 according to the 1920 census.
So I guess this means I'm out of luck, then? It doesn't matter that they had three children born ...
- 05 Oct 2010, 08:27
- Forum: Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship
- Topic: 1910 census and citizenship status?
- Replies: 16
- Views: 6763
Re: 1910 census and citizenship status?
I just checked, and the address listed on the 1920 census is the same address on my GF's birth certificate from 1922. I'd think that this should help me if I encounter any difficulties with the last name difference (Carolino - Catalano).
- 05 Oct 2010, 08:24
- Forum: Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship
- Topic: 1910 census and citizenship status?
- Replies: 16
- Views: 6763
Re: 1910 census and citizenship status?
YES YES YES. That 1920 record is him! My GF was born in 1922 and was the 5th child, but those appear to be his siblings.
I can't tell you how much I appreciate your help. I can't wait to show these to my family!
I can't tell you how much I appreciate your help. I can't wait to show these to my family!
- 05 Oct 2010, 08:17
- Forum: Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship
- Topic: 1910 census and citizenship status?
- Replies: 16
- Views: 6763
Re: 1910 census and citizenship status?
YES, Salvatore aka "Sam" was born in Carlentini, in 1883, and came to the US in 1907. I found his ship manifest,
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup_weif_5a.asp?src=%2Fcgi-bin%2Ftif2gif.exe%3FT%3D\\\\192.168.100.11\\IMAGES\\T715-0923\\T715-09230312.TIF%26S%3D.5&pID=102004080350&name=Salvatore ...
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup_weif_5a.asp?src=%2Fcgi-bin%2Ftif2gif.exe%3FT%3D\\\\192.168.100.11\\IMAGES\\T715-0923\\T715-09230312.TIF%26S%3D.5&pID=102004080350&name=Salvatore ...
- 05 Oct 2010, 08:08
- Forum: Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship
- Topic: 1910 census and citizenship status?
- Replies: 16
- Views: 6763
Re: 1910 census and citizenship status?
Thank you so so much for your reply, with the information, and the image! If I'm not mistaken, it says "na" as in "naturalized" (and not "al" as in alien") underneath the "citizenship" section, next to 1896... :( But do you think this could be inaccurate? After all, I know from the ships log that he ...
- 05 Oct 2010, 07:46
- Forum: Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship
- Topic: 1910 census and citizenship status?
- Replies: 16
- Views: 6763
1910 census and citizenship status?
I'm in the process of collecting documents to apply for dual Italian (American) citizenship, through my GGF (my father's father's father, Salvatore aka "Sam"). He arrived in 1907, had his first child in 1909, and died in 1947. My family unequivocally says that he did not try to become a naturalized ...