marriage record interpretation

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Post Reply
User avatar
Pontiusmaximus
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 40
Joined: 17 Jul 2016, 23:20
Location: Auburn, California

marriage record interpretation

Post by Pontiusmaximus »

This is a little different than most of the marriage records in Borgetto that I have seen, and I know the a pattern isn't a hard and fast rule, so I just wanted an opinion if I have this right. The witnesses are Francesco Vicari and Francesca Rappa (usually at the end of the document)? and then the wife is here last. The name at the heading is Julia Porcarello but here is listed as Julia Pirrone. Am I assuming correctly that she is under the guardianship of Vincenti (Pirrone) and Francesca Palozzolo? And then, is her birth name Porcarello? Thanks.
John

record is the lower right on page
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=2046915
erudita74
Master
Master
Posts: 9245
Joined: 27 Aug 2012, 20:26

Re: marriage record interpretation

Post by erudita74 »

John
I'm inclined to think that one of Julia's surnames is incorrect, as it says she was the legitimate and natural daughter of deceased Vincenzo (Pirrone) and living Francesca Palozzolo. Have you found any of their children to see which of the two surnames was used for her in their records? Unless, it was a double surname and one of them was dropped in subsequent records ???
Erudita
User avatar
Pontiusmaximus
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 40
Joined: 17 Jul 2016, 23:20
Location: Auburn, California

Re: marriage record interpretation

Post by Pontiusmaximus »

Thanks Erudita, I'll keep digging in that area. I did find a baptism for a Julia Porcarello at about the right time frame and Julia does not seem a frequently used name, at least in Borgetto. The parents are Giovanni Porcarelli and Maria Costanza. I looked for death records for the parents and I did find one for Giovanni assoc with Maria Costanza. He was the son of Xavierio Porcarello and Julia Abate which I thought Julia Porcarello was/may have been named after her paternal grandmother. I get a bit confused on the terms for wife and widow. If for example, a death record is for Vincenti Randazzo uxor Maria Furnari, does this indicate Maria is his widow who is still alive? And then if it is Vincenti Abate vir Maria Costanza, does this mean she pre-deceased her husband? Appreciate the help!
John
User avatar
liviomoreno
Master
Master
Posts: 7116
Joined: 13 Feb 2004, 00:00
Location: Rome, Italy
Contact:

Re: marriage record interpretation

Post by liviomoreno »

I believe that the priest forgot to write the name of the bride in the sentence "Interrogavi... ", he only named the groom and then the names of the witnesses. When he realized he had made the mistake he added the name of the bride. There is a superscript "cross" after the names of the groom's parents' and a "cross" precedes the 3rd but last line. The priest was so confused of his mistake that wrote a wrong surname for Julia.
As Erudita suggested you need to investigate further but it is very likely that the surname is Porcarello
Post Reply