Naviglio missing

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Post Reply
Debn1951
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 21
Joined: 27 May 2018, 18:09

Naviglio missing

Post by Debn1951 »

Greetings!
I am new to this forum and hope that someone can help me locate records for my grandmother’s brother, who emigrated to the US from Ripi, Italy in 1913. His given name was Emanuele Naviglio, born 16 June 1892 in Ragusa Inferiore, Sicily. Parents Giovanni Naviglia and Concetta Asturia. For whatever reason, once in the US he gave his name as Georgi Naviglio, although on his WW1 draft record in 1918 he used Emanuele as his legal name but signed the document Georgi. I have evidence of his residence in NY via census and city directory records, but can find absolutely nothing after 1920. It’s like he disappeared off the face of the earth! I even went through WW1 casualty records but found nothing. I suppose he could have changed his name, although after 7 years in the US as Georgi Naviglio that wouldn’t make much sense. He also could have gone back to Italy, but as far as I can tell he had no family left there, his mother and only sibling (my grandmother) having emigrated in 1914. I have searched Ancestry extensively, using all variations of his names, but come up with nothing. I do not know whether census records are only available for NYC and not smaller towns/cities in NY or NJ, where he may have relocated. Any help to locate this relative would be appreciated - would love to know if I have family through my mother’s side somewhere!
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
Posts: 18381
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Naviglio missing

Post by Tessa78 »

There are civil records online for that time period in Ragusa, but only viewable at a local Family History Center or affiliated library.
https://www.familysearch.org/search/cat ... %20Library

EDIT TO ADD***
I do not know if you have this 1915 NYS census for "Congetta Navilia (50), Maria Navilia (25), and Lorenzo Creshini (19) boarder. Obviously, the surnames are misspelled...
https://www.ancestry.com/interactive/27 ... cessSource

T.
Debn1951
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 21
Joined: 27 May 2018, 18:09

Re: Naviglio missing

Post by Debn1951 »

Wow! I did not have that census information, probably because of the spelling of the last name. But it gives me insight as to how my grandparents met in NY - he was a boarder in her mother’s apartment! Thank you so much!
Post Reply