Marriage Application and Census Question

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Post Reply
cochampi
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: 03 Jun 2018, 03:19

Marriage Application and Census Question

Post by cochampi »

I will be applying for my dual citizenship through my great-grandfather.

Question 1). My Great-Grandfather did not naturalize and I have a "certificate of nonexistence of record" . I am also required to have the census of after my Grandfather was born in the states. He was born in 1933 so I received the 1940 census. The problem is my Great-Grandfather died in 1936 so he does not appear on the 1940 census with my grandfather. Will that be a problem? I am also receiving a letter from the county in which they lived saying they have no immigration record on file for my Great-Grandfather.

Question 2). I know the marriage certificate is necessary for the 'jure sanguinis' application process but is the marriage application also necessary? That is where all the vital information is found after all. And unfortunately that is where my Great-grandfather only has his place of birth listed as Italy. (everywhere else has his comune listed).

Question 3). My Great-Grandfather's birth certificate from Italy says: Giobatta. On everything else he goes by Battista. Researching online it is very common for people with the name Giobatta to go by Giovanni Battista or just Giovanni or just Battista. Do you think this is a major discrepancy ?

Sorry for the loaded questions, I just couldn't find any scenarios like this out there yet.
Thank for any responses!
Post Reply