The Scopoliti Family From Calabria

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
acman319
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 31
Joined: 11 Apr 2005, 00:00
Contact:

The Scopoliti Family From Calabria

Post by acman319 »

Does anybody have any information on the Scopoliti family? It is my paternal grandmother's maiden name. It was spelled "Scopliti" before her family came to America. Now it is spelled Scapelliti. My aunt was born in Calabria. I believe she was born in either Reggio di Calabria or Villa San Giuseppe. She was born in 1913 and came to America when she was 9 years old. My grandmother was born in the United States in 1921 along with her brother Joeseph who was born on a different date in Lockport, NY where her family settled. My grandmother's father's name was Domenic and her mother's name was Josephine. This is all of the information that I have and all I could find on Ancestry.com was the their names on the free 1930 US Census offer. I was wondering if anybody could find out exactly where they came from and if there are other relatives still. I would also like to find out the name of the ship that they came to America is. Thank you.
Ciao!
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 2111
Joined: 31 Jan 2006, 00:00
Location: USA

Re: The Scopoliti Family From Calabria

Post by jcsm400 »

Is this the correct Domenic Scapellti?

Social Security Death Index


Name Birth Date Death Date Last Residence
(City,County,State)
Dominick Scapelliti 30 Jul 1887 Feb 1975 Lockport, Niagara, New York

jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 2111
Joined: 31 Jan 2006, 00:00
Location: USA

Re: The Scopoliti Family From Calabria

Post by jcsm400 »

On the 1910 census, it shows immigration year 1904 & his 1st papers for naturalization has been filed. The 1930 census, shows immigration year 1905 & he is naturalized.

Possible manifest information for Domenic Scapellitti?


First Name: Domenico
Last Name: Scapelliti
Ethnicity: South Italy
Last Place of Residence: Campo Cal.
Date of Arrival: Mar 10, 1904
Age at Arrival: 28y Gender: M Marital Status: M
Ship of Travel: Lombardia
Port of Departure: Napoli
Manifest Line Number: 0009

http://www.ellisislandrecords.org/searc ... 2502040851

Possible WWI Draft Registration Card.

Dominick Scopellitt
b. 3/26/1886 Italy
Residence: Lockport, NY
Wife: Josephine

http://img466.imageshack.us/img466/7664 ... wwi2ui.jpg

Josephine's immigration year is listed as 1920 with daughter Mary b. 1903 Italy. I goofed, birth year should be 1913. :oops:

Let us know what you think.

jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
nuccia
Staff
Staff
Posts: 4606
Joined: 20 Nov 2005, 00:00
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Re: The Scopoliti Family From Calabria

Post by nuccia »

Could this be your grandfather?

First Name: Domenico
Last Name: Scopelliti
Ethnicity: Italy, South
Last Place of Residence: Villa S. Guiseppe, Italy
Date of Arrival: Jul 30, 1912
Age at Arrival: 25y Gender: M Marital Status: M
Ship of Travel: America
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0028

Page 1

Its a two page manifest but I'm having trouble linking the second page using steve morse...you should be able to access it using the previous icon..

This I believe was his second trip..the first one was in 1905.

Looking for Josephine now...

Nuccia :wink:
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 2111
Joined: 31 Jan 2006, 00:00
Location: USA

Re: The Scopoliti Family From Calabria

Post by jcsm400 »

First Name: Maria
Last Name: Scopelliti
Ethnicity: Italy, Italian S.
Last Place of Residence: V.S.Giuseppe, Italy
Date of Arrival: Nov 09, 1920
Age at Arrival: 7y Gender: F Marital Status: S
Ship of Travel: Italia
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0002

Page 1

http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 0766%2ETIF

Page 2

http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 3697020508

Giuseppa Nunnari & daughter, Maria Scopelliti, jioning Dominick Scopelliti in Lockport, NY

Hope this helps.

:) jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
nuccia
Staff
Staff
Posts: 4606
Joined: 20 Nov 2005, 00:00
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Re: The Scopoliti Family From Calabria

Post by nuccia »

Good Job, Nonna J...

Hopefully this is the manifest acman319 is looking for!

Nuccia :wink:
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 2111
Joined: 31 Jan 2006, 00:00
Location: USA

Re: The Scopoliti Family From Calabria

Post by jcsm400 »

Nuccia,

The 1920 manifest appears to be a very good match to your 1912 manifest for Dominick, but I need help on locating page 2 of manifest for Domenico Scapelliti who arrived 3/10/1904 (see above)....can't connect this manifest at this point or rule it out.

nonna j
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
User avatar
mfjp
Master
Master
Posts: 2211
Joined: 13 Aug 2004, 00:00
Contact:

Re: The Scopoliti Family From Calabria

Post by mfjp »

nuccia wrote:Could this be your grandfather?

First Name: Domenico
Last Name: Scopelliti
Ethnicity: Italy, South
Last Place of Residence: Villa S. Guiseppe, Italy
Date of Arrival: Jul 30, 1912
Age at Arrival: 25y Gender: M Marital Status: M
Ship of Travel: America
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0028

Page 1

Its a two page manifest but I'm having trouble linking the second page using steve morse...you should be able to access it using the previous icon..

This I believe was his second trip..the first one was in 1905.

Looking for Josephine now...

Nuccia :wink:
page 2?

http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 0243%2ETIF

Maria
User avatar
mfjp
Master
Master
Posts: 2211
Joined: 13 Aug 2004, 00:00
Contact:

Re: The Scopoliti Family From Calabria

Post by mfjp »

:P

Maria
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 2111
Joined: 31 Jan 2006, 00:00
Location: USA

Re: The Scopoliti Family From Calabria

Post by jcsm400 »

deleted-not needed
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 2111
Joined: 31 Jan 2006, 00:00
Location: USA

Re: The Scopoliti Family From Calabria

Post by jcsm400 »

To trace the family (ies) in Villa San Giueseppe (town), Reggio di Calabria (province), Italy, the LDS CHurch (Mormans) have filmed the civil records for this town for 1810 thru 1910. Here is a link to the available films.

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... ato+civile++

Here is a link to locate your nearest LDS-Family History Center.

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... et_fhc.asp

And a link explaining the process of order the films from the FHC.

http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/Foru ... =2581.html

Hope this helps.

If you need anything else or have any questions, let us know.

:) jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
nuccia
Staff
Staff
Posts: 4606
Joined: 20 Nov 2005, 00:00
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Re: The Scopoliti Family From Calabria

Post by nuccia »

My PC has gone all nuts on me tonight...I can't seem to do anything! :evil:

Nonna J, there is no page two to the manifest...the earlier manifests were only one page...not much info on them is there?

Nuccia :(
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 2111
Joined: 31 Jan 2006, 00:00
Location: USA

Re: The Scopoliti Family From Calabria

Post by jcsm400 »

Hi Nuccia,

Knew early manifests only had one page, just don't know when that ended????

Hugs,
nonna j
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
nuccia
Staff
Staff
Posts: 4606
Joined: 20 Nov 2005, 00:00
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Re: The Scopoliti Family From Calabria

Post by nuccia »

Sorry, I'm not sure either but I think around 1908 or so...

Nuccia
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
Image
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 2111
Joined: 31 Jan 2006, 00:00
Location: USA

Re: The Scopoliti Family From Calabria

Post by jcsm400 »

No problem...Maria says about june or july 1907. I've to remember that!

nonna J
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
Post Reply