Imposssible to find in Patti-Raccuja-Acquadolci

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
BerniesMom

Imposssible to find in Patti-Raccuja-Acquadolci

Post by BerniesMom »

Greetings. I have been tracing my family genealogy for quite some time but I have run into a HUGE mystery. My entire family back to the 1700's has been traced (4 maternal & paternal lines). But my father (deceased), who was born out of wedlock back in the 1930's, is an enigma. I know who his biological father is, as well as their family, and have traced them back to the 1700's. But I can't find a thing about where my father got his last name from. No one has been able to locate a birth record for him. No one has been able to find a marriage certificate for his mother (deceased). My dad came to the US in 1950, his mom in 1960. But we have no records (birth, passport, etc.). If anyone did, they're long gone as just about all of my family has died. My mom, (deceased), sister (deceased), brothers and I have been carrying this last name for over 60 years each and we don't know how my dad came to his last name. Who can help me find out (before I die) where my last name came from? Thank you.
PippoM
Master
Master

Re: Imposssible to find in Patti-Raccuja-Acquadolci

Post by PippoM »

If you know where he was born, you might request a "copia integrale" of his birth record.
However, if he was not officially adopted, and his parents did not declare themselves as such, he was probably given his surname by the Registrar.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
EMTLP
Elite
Elite

Re: Imposssible to find in Patti-Raccuja-Acquadolci

Post by EMTLP »

Have you done a Y-DNA test?
As you probably know Y-DNA is passed from father to son. Your very closest matches should also have your last name. See Familytreedna.com. It is best to do as many markers as you can afford. They have sales and sometimes offer upgrades for additional fees from Y-111 to Y-700. Seems likely the Y-DNA test might go on sale around Father's Day if you want to wait that long! Good luck.

I had a male relative do a Y- 111 test and only the first 5 matches shared his last name. I have only one other male relative from that branch but he won't do the test even if I paid for it. :cry: