I'm so confused!

General Non-Genealogy Discussions.
Ask questions, chat and talk about anything.
Post Reply
lyn1982
Master
Master
Posts: 586
Joined: 01 Jul 2019, 05:05

I'm so confused!

Post by lyn1982 »

As some of you may know my great grandfather Joseph Abbo was born a fondling in Rome and I've not been able to find his parents and my DNA matches for his line all point to Agrigento.

I had come to the conclusion that I must have a break on his line, then today I'm searching ancestry and find this:

John M Marullo Sr.
1934–2018
BIRTH 12/19/1934 • Lyons, Wayne, New York, USA

DEATH 12/15/2018 • West Sparta, Livingston, New York, USA


This person is a grandchild of a Marullo and Iacono from Porto Empedocile, Agrigento and I have dna matches to a lot of iaconos and Marullo's and I know several married each other. I'm not sure yet how these relate, I'm posting their marriage record in the translation subforum.

Anyway....Lyons, NY is where my great grandfather immigrated to and stayed for 2 years. He met his wife my great grandmother in Niagara Falls after moving there.

I'm so confused. It would seem unlikely if I had a break that the person would have happened to be from a small town where far as I know my great grandgrandfather never returned to and where my great grandmother never lived. Yet my great grandfather was an orphan born in Rome. How on earth would he know his biological family especially when they were from Sicily? And why would he be born in Rome if his family is from Sicily? I'm confident the passenger manifest with name Giuseppe Eppes is him as is the birth record in Rome of Giuseppe Eppes. Too much info matches for it not to be him, ie Joseph Abbo's obituary saying he immigrated to Lyon's NY in 1914 and lived there for 2 years, as well as him naming nearly all of his children the same names as his "cousin" on the manifest whom I believe was an adoptive brother. Also his obituary states he was born in Rome.

To add to the confusion, this John's father Salvador was born in May of 1895 and Joseph was born in December 1895 so they can't be siblings.
lyn1982
Master
Master
Posts: 586
Joined: 01 Jul 2019, 05:05

Re: I'm so confused!

Post by lyn1982 »

Ok wow. I just found this record. I've seen it before but wasn't as knowledgeable about my dna matches.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:7N6J-KPT2

I definitely have dna matches to Martorana's in PE.

I'm guessing this Giuseppe Martorana must be my great grandfathers grandfather or such? How do I know whether to look in Agrigento or Rome archives for births of children?
Post Reply