Is there a commune called San Marea?

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
Post Reply
ururk
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: 28 Jun 2024, 22:59

Is there a commune called San Marea?

Post by ururk »

I have a US death certificate (1940) that I believe is rife with errors. I think it is for my GGGM.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NQ7Y-DXL

Her and her parent's are listed as coming from "San Marea", Italy. It's written multiple times and the cursive is clear.

I can't find any locality named like that. I also think this is her Italian birth record:

https://antenati.cultura.gov.it/ark:/12 ... 43/5g4lMkp

San Marco La Catola, Foggia

Any thoughts?
Attachments
Death certificate - 1940
Death certificate - 1940
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
Posts: 18381
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Is there a commune called San Marea?

Post by Tessa78 »

Could be San Marco... but unfortunately, there are VERY, VERY many of them.

I see that the birth act you posted is for San Marco la Catola.
The entry for father is close the death act - Giuseppe Lembo (Americanized to Joseph Lemo
And Lauretta - spelled Loretta in USA.
However, the birth date on the act is 11 November 1843.
Do you have other records with an age or date of birth?

Where did you get the birth act for the town of birth is San Marco la Catola?

Did she marry in Italy?

T.
ururk
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: 28 Jun 2024, 22:59

Re: Is there a commune called San Marea?

Post by ururk »

Hi T,

It's kind of involved with a lot of records (that is to say, I ended up here through a variety of documents.

Where to begin...

My Grandma was born in the USA in 1904 to a Giovanni Ziccardi and a Giovanna Alva (per various documents - baptismal record, DC's, census records, Giovanni's DC matches up with what family knows). However, my aunt says everyone knew her last name to be "Alba" ("that's what my mother would say"). On my grandmother's DC, it's Alba. But I found a DC for Giovanna:

Giovanina Alva Ziccardi listed as being born in "San Bartolomeo in Galdo", married to a John Ziccardi (also from there).

I then located both immigration lists - her's with three of her children from Italy, and his based on his Petition for naturalization.

Then I located their BC's in antenati. Which is great - but I want to know why her brother's last name in the US is "Albino" if hers is "Alva" - where did this discrepancy come from? Why did my grandma insist my great grandmother's last name was pronounced "Alba"?

Well Giovanna had two brothers in the USA - Nick and Louis. They went by "Albino". And it turns out, some of Giovanna's records listed her as "Albino" (just unofficial ones, like the census).

Have I confused you yet?
ururk
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: 28 Jun 2024, 22:59

Re: Is there a commune called San Marea?

Post by ururk »

Hi T,

the board won't let me post the URLS to antenati that I'd like to. I have more to write, but need to be able to put links in - I've emailed the administrators.
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
Posts: 18381
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Is there a commune called San Marea?

Post by Tessa78 »

If you have trouble with the links (which is unusual), you can try posting the images with
www.postimages.org

Meanwhile, this is the birth act in San Bartolomeo in Galdo of one of their children, Antonio VIncenzo Nicola Clemente Ziccardi, in 1901.
On the birth act the mother's name is clearly Giovannina Alva.
#13
https://antenati.cultura.gov.it/ark:/12 ... 20/LPaAVrv

T.
ururk
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: 28 Jun 2024, 22:59

Re: Is there a commune called San Marea?

Post by ururk »

Tessa78 wrote: 03 Jul 2024, 14:46 If you have trouble with the links (which is unusual), you can try posting the images with
www.postimages.org

T.
I would like to post the links as they include dates and other context - hopefully I'll get an email today from the administrators. My account is pretty new, so presumably I'm limited until I've made a certain amount of posts.
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
Posts: 18381
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Is there a commune called San Marea?

Post by Tessa78 »

See the birth act I just posted above.

And anther son Giuseppe born 1897 in San Bartolomeo in Galdo -
Parents: Giovanni Ziccardi and Giovanna Alva.
#45
https://antenati.cultura.gov.it/ark:/12 ... 58/wOEp12l

T.
ururk
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: 28 Jun 2024, 22:59

Re: Is there a commune called San Marea?

Post by ururk »

Tessa78 wrote: 03 Jul 2024, 14:56 See the birth act I just posted above.

T.
Yes - that's one of the links I tried to post.
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
Posts: 18381
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Is there a commune called San Marea?

Post by Tessa78 »

And another son I just posted.

It is clear that her maiden name is Alva.

Surnames in USA were often misspelled due to illiteracy of the immigrant, or the "phonetic" attempt by a clerk when filling out forms for the immigrant.
AND... some just wanted to change the name for whatever reason.

Here is a POSSIBLE birth act for Giovanni Ziccardi in 1866 (matches age on birth act of Giuseppe) in San Bartolomeo in Galdo.
#71
https://antenati.cultura.gov.it/ark:/12 ... 26/w1ry19J

AND...
Here is the birth of Giovanna Alva in San Bartolomeo in Galdo in 1869 (#15)
Parents: Giuseppe Alva and Laura Lembo.
https://antenati.cultura.gov.it/ark:/12 ... 90/LNoyqqz

T.
Post Reply