Help with death record for Vittoria Cicio
-
italian059
- Master

- Posts: 955
- Joined: 10 Jul 2011, 21:36
Help with death record for Vittoria Cicio
Would someone please translate this death record. There is a lot of writing and I want to make sure I have the right person. Any information would be appreciated. Record #29.
Thanks so much.
Mary
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... =en&i=1593
Thanks so much.
Mary
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... =en&i=1593
-
AngelaGrace56
- Master

- Posts: 8078
- Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54
Re: Help with death record for Vittoria Cicio
Death No 29: Vittoria Cicio
Registered on 27 January 1894 in Santa Margherita di Belice
Vittoria Cicio, 72 yo, casalinga (housewife/domestic), born and residing in S. Margherita, died yesterday (26 Jan 1894) in the house in Via Duomo, no number given. She was the daughter of deceased Michele, a contadino (peasant/farmer), who had lived his life herein, and of the deceased Giuseppa (S’ignora?) She was the wife of Leonardo Montelione.
It seems like Vittoria’s mother’s surname was not known to those who registered the death. Someone else may confirm.
Angela
Registered on 27 January 1894 in Santa Margherita di Belice
Vittoria Cicio, 72 yo, casalinga (housewife/domestic), born and residing in S. Margherita, died yesterday (26 Jan 1894) in the house in Via Duomo, no number given. She was the daughter of deceased Michele, a contadino (peasant/farmer), who had lived his life herein, and of the deceased Giuseppa (S’ignora?) She was the wife of Leonardo Montelione.
It seems like Vittoria’s mother’s surname was not known to those who registered the death. Someone else may confirm.
Angela
-
italian059
- Master

- Posts: 955
- Joined: 10 Jul 2011, 21:36
Re: Help with death record for Vittoria Cicio
Thanks so much Angela. I was hoping this was the Vittoria I have been looking for. She was the wife of Leonardo Montelione and her mother's name was Giuseppa Mauro. The only thing is her father was named Gaspare, not Michele. Here is a link to her marriage certificate. Maybe you can look at in case I am missing something. Thanks so much for all your help. Mary
https://antenati.cultura.gov.it/ark:/12 ... rM?lang=en
https://antenati.cultura.gov.it/ark:/12 ... rM?lang=en
Re: Help with death record for Vittoria Cicio
Mary
Sorry but I can’t translate the marriage record tonight, but I wanted you to know that earlier I found Vittoria’s baptism record in the diocese records. Dated July 7, 1818, born today to Gaspare Cicio and Giuseppa Mauro. Godparents Onofrio di Giovanna and Rosa ?restia. Image 109, bottom left, folio 128. baptisms 1816 to 1820 in SM.
Erudita
Sorry but I can’t translate the marriage record tonight, but I wanted you to know that earlier I found Vittoria’s baptism record in the diocese records. Dated July 7, 1818, born today to Gaspare Cicio and Giuseppa Mauro. Godparents Onofrio di Giovanna and Rosa ?restia. Image 109, bottom left, folio 128. baptisms 1816 to 1820 in SM.
Erudita
-
AngelaGrace56
- Master

- Posts: 8078
- Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54
Re: Help with death record for Vittoria Cicio
You are very welcome Mary. I've been looking at the Marriage Record for you and as you say the parents names don't match. It seems they were different Antonia's born six years apart. One was born circa 1822 and the other c. 1828 but of course ages on death records can often be out by a number of years. Death Records are generally the least trustworthy.italian059 wrote: 25 Apr 2026, 01:04 Thanks so much Angela. I was hoping this was the Vittoria I have been looking for. She was the wife of Leonardo Montelione and her mother's name was Giuseppa Mauro. The only thing is her father was named Gaspare, not Michele. Here is a link to her marriage certificate. Maybe you can look at in case I am missing something. Thanks so much for all your help. Mary
https://antenati.cultura.gov.it/ark:/12 ... rM?lang=en
So you don't have your Antonia's Birth Record - is that right. If you do can you post it. Thanks.
Angela
-
AngelaGrace56
- Master

- Posts: 8078
- Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54
Re: Help with death record for Vittoria Cicio
Hi again Mary
I’ve read Erudita’s post which is before my last post. I notice that she has located an 1818 Baptism Record for a Vittoria Cicio, whose parents match with the Vittoria’s marriage record you posted. The year of birth is out though. (Maybe Gaspare and Giuseppa had two Vittoria’s and one died?) I’ll leave it to Erudita to sort as I know that she has access to records that I don’t have, plus I’m on my way out shortly.
Take care, Angela
I’ve read Erudita’s post which is before my last post. I notice that she has located an 1818 Baptism Record for a Vittoria Cicio, whose parents match with the Vittoria’s marriage record you posted. The year of birth is out though. (Maybe Gaspare and Giuseppa had two Vittoria’s and one died?) I’ll leave it to Erudita to sort as I know that she has access to records that I don’t have, plus I’m on my way out shortly.
Take care, Angela
Re: Help with death record for Vittoria Cicio
https://antenati.cultura.gov.it/ark:/12 ... M/?lang=en
@Angela
Actually the 1818 baptism/birth record I found For Vittoria matches her age of 25 in the 1843 marriage record posted by Mary above which I couldn’t translate last night and can’t right now.
Erudita
@Angela
Actually the 1818 baptism/birth record I found For Vittoria matches her age of 25 in the 1843 marriage record posted by Mary above which I couldn’t translate last night and can’t right now.
Erudita
Re: Help with death record for Vittoria Cicio
https://antenati.cultura.gov.it/ark:/12 ... 13/LmJKnrM
Oct 13, 1843 solemn promise-
Leonardo Montelione single, age 21, born in SM, farmer, son of deceased Antonino M. And Francesca Santoro, age 52.
Vittoria Cicio, age 25, single, daughter of Gaspare C., age 50, farmer, and Giuseppa Mauro age 50, both living in SM. Church marriage on Nov 1, 1843
See Linda’s post for Leonardo’s baptism record info.
https://www.italiangenealogy.com/forum/topic/56973
Oct 13, 1843 solemn promise-
Leonardo Montelione single, age 21, born in SM, farmer, son of deceased Antonino M. And Francesca Santoro, age 52.
Vittoria Cicio, age 25, single, daughter of Gaspare C., age 50, farmer, and Giuseppa Mauro age 50, both living in SM. Church marriage on Nov 1, 1843
See Linda’s post for Leonardo’s baptism record info.
https://www.italiangenealogy.com/forum/topic/56973
Re: Help with death record for Vittoria Cicio
Here’s the diocese death record for Leonardo Montelione, son of deceased Antonino M and Francesca Santoro, age 75, Sept 6, 1899. No mention of spouse in record.
SM deaths 1898-1907
Image 74, folio 52, record #160, left page, third from bottom
SM deaths 1898-1907
Image 74, folio 52, record #160, left page, third from bottom
-
italian059
- Master

- Posts: 955
- Joined: 10 Jul 2011, 21:36
Re: Help with death record for Vittoria Cicio
Thanks so much, Erudita and Angela. I really appreciate all your help but am still confused with the death record I posted for Vittoria since all the names fit except the name of her father. Think it was an error or just a coincidence and a different Vittoria?
-
AngelaGrace56
- Master

- Posts: 8078
- Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54
Re: Help with death record for Vittoria Cicio
Oh yes it does exactly. I don't know how I managed to miscalculate that one.erudita74 wrote: 25 Apr 2026, 09:53 https://antenati.cultura.gov.it/ark:/12 ... M/?lang=en
@Angela
Actually the 1818 baptism/birth record I found For Vittoria matches her age of 25 in the 1843 marriage record posted by Mary above which I couldn’t translate last night and can’t right now.
Erudita
Angela
-
AngelaGrace56
- Master

- Posts: 8078
- Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54
Re: Help with death record for Vittoria Cicio
Hi Maryitalian059 wrote: 25 Apr 2026, 23:00 Thanks so much, Erudita and Angela. I really appreciate all your help but am still confused with the death record I posted for Vittoria since all the names fit except the name of her father. Think it was an error or just a coincidence and a different Vittoria?
You are very welcome for the help.
Re Vittoria’s father’s name that is written in her death record, it is quite possible that either the two grave diggers made an error or the clerk wrote the info down incorrectly. I don’t know. If it was me I would research further to be sure.
Angela
-
italian059
- Master

- Posts: 955
- Joined: 10 Jul 2011, 21:36
Re: Help with death record for Vittoria Cicio
Thanks so much. In this record for Vittoria and in Leonardo's death record it shows they were both living in a house on Via Duomo. That is a big coincidence to me. Wish it showed the house number.
-
AngelaGrace56
- Master

- Posts: 8078
- Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54
Re: Help with death record for Vittoria Cicio
Yes, I noticed that both Vittoria and Leonardo’s respective Death Records had them living in houses in Via Duomo which weren’t numbered. These earlier death records can often contain errors and incomplete information them. It’s frustrating. I would say that Via Duomo would be very close to the church.
Angela
Angela
Re: Help with death record for Vittoria Cicio
Mary
Just so you know, Gaspare Cicio had a brother named Michele Cicio who married Giuseppa Mauro’s sister named Rosalia. I found both of their marriage records and also Michele’s baptism record. I still haven’t located Gaspare’s baptism record but the diocesan site is now giving me an issue with records loading. So I’ll try again later or sometime this coming week, when I have the time. I know this doesn’t help with the death record for Vittoria Cicio, but I was hoping it might when I started exploring the ancestry further back.
Erudita
Just so you know, Gaspare Cicio had a brother named Michele Cicio who married Giuseppa Mauro’s sister named Rosalia. I found both of their marriage records and also Michele’s baptism record. I still haven’t located Gaspare’s baptism record but the diocesan site is now giving me an issue with records loading. So I’ll try again later or sometime this coming week, when I have the time. I know this doesn’t help with the death record for Vittoria Cicio, but I was hoping it might when I started exploring the ancestry further back.
Erudita