Hi, I am not sure whether this is unique or not. My grandmother (born Italy 1926) met her husband during the war and escaped the war with him. She was forced to renounce her Italian citizenship (because they were the "enemy"). However, she had no desire to give up her citizenship and took it up again 40 years later. She was born an Italian citizen, and she died an Italian citizen.
The problem is, that during the period that she was not an Italian citizen, she had a daughter (my mother) who was 27 when my grandmother resumed her Italian citizenship. It seems from the rules that my mother and myself are unable to obtain citizenship, however:
1. my grandmother was forced (and did not choose) to renounce her Italian citizenship during the war
2. my grandmother resumed her Italian citizenship 40yrs later
3. It is clear that if she had been given the choice, she would never have given up her citizenship
Would the consulate consider the merits of such a case ?
Thanks to anyone who can assist
regards
Alessandro
Grandmother forced to naturalise, resumed citizenship again
Re: Grandmother forced to naturalise, resumed citizenship ag
Alessandro,
This is purely a conjecture; however, I am wondering if you could give the information necessary to the consulate that shows that your grandmother was, indeed, an Italian citizen at the time of her birth and at the time of her death.
I would also suggest that you read the verbiage of the form you or your mother must sign that states that your deceased grandmother never renounced her Italian citizenship. The one I am using for application with the Chicago Consulate states, "she HAS NEVER RENOUNCED ITALIAN CITIZENSHIP before any Italian Authority."
If your form reads the same way, and your grandmother never, in fact, renounced her Italian citizenship before an Italian Authority, you may not have any worries.
Again, I am not an expert, so perhaps one of the veteran members can add some input before you push ahead. Nonetheless, I thought I might mention my thoughts.
Buona fortuna,
Benito
This is purely a conjecture; however, I am wondering if you could give the information necessary to the consulate that shows that your grandmother was, indeed, an Italian citizen at the time of her birth and at the time of her death.
I would also suggest that you read the verbiage of the form you or your mother must sign that states that your deceased grandmother never renounced her Italian citizenship. The one I am using for application with the Chicago Consulate states, "she HAS NEVER RENOUNCED ITALIAN CITIZENSHIP before any Italian Authority."
If your form reads the same way, and your grandmother never, in fact, renounced her Italian citizenship before an Italian Authority, you may not have any worries.
Again, I am not an expert, so perhaps one of the veteran members can add some input before you push ahead. Nonetheless, I thought I might mention my thoughts.
Buona fortuna,
Benito
Re: Grandmother forced to naturalise, resumed citizenship ag
The form does read that way, but the Italian consulate considers naturalization to be renunciation, so you are not eligible.
I'm guessing that your grandmother reacquired her Italian citizenship during the five-year grace period following the 1992 law. During that period, naturalized Americans could reacquire Italian citizenship without losing U.S. citizenship. Unfortunately, it was not retroactive. Since she was not a citizen when your mom was born, she could not pass on citizenship to her.
BTW, no one is "forced" to naturalize. My grandparents also chose to naturalize during the war, but no one twisted their arms. Your grandmother made this decision as an adult, and it was indeed her decision.
I'm guessing that your grandmother reacquired her Italian citizenship during the five-year grace period following the 1992 law. During that period, naturalized Americans could reacquire Italian citizenship without losing U.S. citizenship. Unfortunately, it was not retroactive. Since she was not a citizen when your mom was born, she could not pass on citizenship to her.
BTW, no one is "forced" to naturalize. My grandparents also chose to naturalize during the war, but no one twisted their arms. Your grandmother made this decision as an adult, and it was indeed her decision.
- fabiomataveli
- Newbie

- Posts: 8
- Joined: 19 Jun 2009, 18:35
Re: Grandmother forced to naturalise, resumed citizenship ag
If your mother was born before 1948 you can't apply for the Italian citizensip trough her. I 've got similar problem, my father was born from an italian mother in OCT 1947..... and I can't find the birth certificate of my greatgrandfather who could be my Dante Causa for applying for citizenship.
Now I am trying to get the birth certificate of my mother grandfather who was born in Pola.
Now I am trying to get the birth certificate of my mother grandfather who was born in Pola.
