Proof of naturalization - these 3 docs enough?
Re: Proof of naturalization - these 3 docs enough?
Where is it? Is it in Manhattan?
Re: Proof of naturalization - these 3 docs enough?
Yes, it is on varick st,off of Houston. look up Nara ny for the street number. Walk in through security an go the 12th floor, follow signs for national archives.
Re: Proof of naturalization - these 3 docs enough?
Yes, it is on varick st,off of Houston. look up Nara ny for the street number. Walk in through security an go the 12th floor, follow signs for national archives.
Re: Proof of naturalization - these 3 docs enough?
Do they do same-day service for a no-records ltr if I walk in? Ie, can I walk out w/my letter?
Re: Proof of naturalization - these 3 docs enough?
To get a no records letter, I was asked go fill out a one page form. I'm not sure if you can do this over the phone or not, it would be worth asking. Maybe they could do fax, but i'm pretty sure this form is not on the internet. Then a staff member does some research to confirm this, which will probably take a day or two. I filled out the form on a Thursday, and got a call on Monday saying that they didn't find any and were gong to' send me the letter. Two days later I received the letter.
So to answer your question, I would say no, it doesn't seem possible to walk in and out with the letter.
So to answer your question, I would say no, it doesn't seem possible to walk in and out with the letter.
Re: Proof of naturalization - these 3 docs enough?
Wherre would be the first place to look for proof of an immigrant never having naturalized? Here is the situation:
My boyfriend's grand-father (from Calabria) was married in Cameron County, PA in 1912. He lived there 12 years but the Cameron County Prothonotary has no record of naturalization for him. In 1924, he moved to Niagara Falls, NY and then died suddenly in 1926 at the age of 33. We have a copy of his obituary notice; it doesn't state anything about citizenship.
Because of the above circumstances, we think he never naturalized. I know (from my own grand-father's nauralization papers) that you must wait at least three years after filing "Intent" to actually take the oath of citizenship but this immigrant died in New York state after having only lived there two years. We think it would be pointless to contact New York state and should just go the route of No Naturalization. Can anyone lend some insight into this? Are we on the right track?
My boyfriend's grand-father (from Calabria) was married in Cameron County, PA in 1912. He lived there 12 years but the Cameron County Prothonotary has no record of naturalization for him. In 1924, he moved to Niagara Falls, NY and then died suddenly in 1926 at the age of 33. We have a copy of his obituary notice; it doesn't state anything about citizenship.
Because of the above circumstances, we think he never naturalized. I know (from my own grand-father's nauralization papers) that you must wait at least three years after filing "Intent" to actually take the oath of citizenship but this immigrant died in New York state after having only lived there two years. We think it would be pointless to contact New York state and should just go the route of No Naturalization. Can anyone lend some insight into this? Are we on the right track?
Re: Proof of naturalization - these 3 docs enough?
As per the first post of this thread, you never know. And consulates take that to the extreme, as they should, despite the hassle it causes us (see carmines post on this thread). Start with requesting a USCIS search, as well as visiting or calling the regional NARA. Have you done that yet? Then call or visit the Niagara falls county clerk. Even if he didn't naturalize, you will need letters of no record fro.m all the places he lived ( including letters from NARA and USCIS, and probably certified copies of the census showing his status). so you will need to deal with NYS regardless.
Re: Proof of naturalization - these 3 docs enough?
Okay... I got another email from the National Archives today... they did a search on my paternal grandfather... and my maternal great grandfather... which I initiated through email after getting the message that my online request was incorrectly placed. In any case neither showed up with records... but, again, this is in email form... I emailed back asking for a hard copy letter and nothing!!
SOOOOOO frustrating! Any advice?!
SOOOOOO frustrating! Any advice?!
- johnnyonthespot
- Master

- Posts: 5228
- Joined: 04 Aug 2008, 15:01
- Location: Connecticut, USA
Re: Proof of naturalization - these 3 docs enough?
Vittorio - where did your ancestors live while in the US?
Carmine
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
Re: Proof of naturalization - these 3 docs enough?
I would call them to ask for a hard copy letter instead of using email.
Re: Proof of naturalization - these 3 docs enough?
My ancestors are from New Jersey and Conneticut via New York.
Re: Proof of naturalization - these 3 docs enough?
Hi again, thanks for the good info. Well, my BF's grand-father only lived in Niagara Falls for two years before he died in 1926. That means he would not have been listed on the 1930 Census so we won't need that document.
We are pursuing this from Washington State and will submit the app to San Francisco. We can't walk into NARA in Manhattan so if anyone can provide some phone numbers or email addresses, it will be much appreciated. Grazie.
By the way, he was born in 1893. He would be 117 years old if still alive so this will eliminate having to deal with New York State for the death certificate. We do have a copy of his obituary notice.
We are pursuing this from Washington State and will submit the app to San Francisco. We can't walk into NARA in Manhattan so if anyone can provide some phone numbers or email addresses, it will be much appreciated. Grazie.
By the way, he was born in 1893. He would be 117 years old if still alive so this will eliminate having to deal with New York State for the death certificate. We do have a copy of his obituary notice.
Re: Proof of naturalization - these 3 docs enough?
You might be able to get a county 1925 census, i think most counties in nys had those, but im not positive. Try calling the county clerk.
As for Nara, there is one in Seattle.
http://www.archives.gov/pacific-alaska/ ... index.html
You can still look up the NY NARA phone number and call and see if you can request a search, which would get you a letter of no record.
As for Nara, there is one in Seattle.
http://www.archives.gov/pacific-alaska/ ... index.html
You can still look up the NY NARA phone number and call and see if you can request a search, which would get you a letter of no record.
Re: Proof of naturalization - these 3 docs enough?
Okay. Now I'm confused. What's a "county" census. Is that something I need?!
I have a none existence letter from the USCIS, a no records from NARA and no records from both county clerks from the only two towns my grandfather lived. My grandfather doesn't appear on any census in 1930. He immigrated in 1929.
I have a none existence letter from the USCIS, a no records from NARA and no records from both county clerks from the only two towns my grandfather lived. My grandfather doesn't appear on any census in 1930. He immigrated in 1929.
Re: Proof of naturalization - these 3 docs enough?
I mentioned the nys state/county census to jennabet because she can't use the 1930 federal census. You certainly don't need to go that far but I get the idea that the more you have to make your case, the better.
Vittorio, it sounds like you have enough, i think, or at least all you can get.
Jennabet, what about the 1920 federal census?
Vittorio, it sounds like you have enough, i think, or at least all you can get.
Jennabet, what about the 1920 federal census?

