Thanks Emmy, I have ordered some of the films from the links you provided. I believe we are thinking of the same St. Ellia but I will check it out. If you see any martinelli or maucieri just let me know. But don't spend any extra time on it.
Is there any names you are looking for?
Melina
Ponzano Eterno in Abruzzo: Eterno means ?
- littleapple
- Rookie

- Posts: 73
- Joined: 08 Jul 2007, 00:00
- Location: canada
Re: Ponzano Eterno in Abruzzo: Eterno means ?
Chi sa dove, chi sa quando ma con tempo trovera.
Re: Ponzano Eterno in Abruzzo: Eterno means ?
Hi Melina
I will definately have a search for these names for you - its no bother. So many people have given me help on this forum its nice to be able to do something for others in return.
I have been trying to find information about my dad's family for about 30 years and since joining this forum just over a year ago, with the help of many kind people here, who, by the way are still helping me, I've been
able to get birth acts etc. and I will never be able to thank them enough for that help. It means so much to me. (I notice that Riccardo and Suanj are helping you too
along with all the others they deserve medals for the time and help they give here)
My grandfather's name was Giovanni Battista Di filippo and my grandmother was Francesca Bastianello although through the years there have been more that a few variations of the spelling of their names. At the moment I'm trying to trace their marriage certificate but in a letter from the comune of Sant'Elia it seems that many of the records held in Sant'Elia were damaged/destroyed during WW11 and not all have been redone.
I'll need to look up the map just to find out where the area is that you are researching.
Will keep in touch
Emmy
I will definately have a search for these names for you - its no bother. So many people have given me help on this forum its nice to be able to do something for others in return.
I have been trying to find information about my dad's family for about 30 years and since joining this forum just over a year ago, with the help of many kind people here, who, by the way are still helping me, I've been
able to get birth acts etc. and I will never be able to thank them enough for that help. It means so much to me. (I notice that Riccardo and Suanj are helping you too
My grandfather's name was Giovanni Battista Di filippo and my grandmother was Francesca Bastianello although through the years there have been more that a few variations of the spelling of their names. At the moment I'm trying to trace their marriage certificate but in a letter from the comune of Sant'Elia it seems that many of the records held in Sant'Elia were damaged/destroyed during WW11 and not all have been redone.
I'll need to look up the map just to find out where the area is that you are researching.
Will keep in touch
Emmy
Re: Ponzano Eterno in Abruzzo: Eterno means ?
Melina I meant to say to you that if you have the date of their marriage I've been told that if you order the film of the processetti this gives lots more information about the family too but so far I haven't ordered any.
If I'm wrong with this information maybe someone will correct me.
Emmy
If I'm wrong with this information maybe someone will correct me.
Emmy
Re: Ponzano Eterno in Abruzzo: Eterno means ?
Hi Emmy,
We talked about the Sant' Elia a Pianisi at Amici, and as I said, would like to know more about all the other Sant' Elia villages. Thank you!
Suanj,
Thank you very much...the names are a little different, but that seems to be them. I tried HeritageQuest, but I do not find them for 1920. I will have to look again later.
Emilio Ferri
Dolorata (my foster mother says this is her name in Italian; on gravestone it is Dolores)
Sons (in 1920):
Frank
Anthony
Armando
There were seven boys that grew up in Auburn. My father Mario is next in line, born 1919, then Al, Mike, & Jim. My foster mother said she heard there was an eighth who died in Italy.
I see it says he can read and write, as in his Alien Registration of 1917 he has signed with an X.
I have not been able to find the manifest that corresponds with the name. It either is the wrong age or town or mostly the marital status, which the best one says is single. I know my uncle Frank was born in Italy
One Ellis Island residence listing is for Fara Filorina, which I cannot find on the map in Teramo, but in Chieti province there is a Filo Filiorum Petri. Now I know from the Locations topic forum and other reading that there is a Eterno River that runs to Pescara and the Draft/Alien Registration says Ponzano Eterno as last residence.
This will need more research, but we are getting closer. I have learned much from all of you, even to put info in columns for easier reading.
Thanks,
Dave
This best fit is for 1914 age 23 and destination Rochester NY where many relatives are.
The ship Verona is listed for this.
We talked about the Sant' Elia a Pianisi at Amici, and as I said, would like to know more about all the other Sant' Elia villages. Thank you!
Suanj,
Thank you very much...the names are a little different, but that seems to be them. I tried HeritageQuest, but I do not find them for 1920. I will have to look again later.
Emilio Ferri
Dolorata (my foster mother says this is her name in Italian; on gravestone it is Dolores)
Sons (in 1920):
Frank
Anthony
Armando
There were seven boys that grew up in Auburn. My father Mario is next in line, born 1919, then Al, Mike, & Jim. My foster mother said she heard there was an eighth who died in Italy.
I see it says he can read and write, as in his Alien Registration of 1917 he has signed with an X.
I have not been able to find the manifest that corresponds with the name. It either is the wrong age or town or mostly the marital status, which the best one says is single. I know my uncle Frank was born in Italy
One Ellis Island residence listing is for Fara Filorina, which I cannot find on the map in Teramo, but in Chieti province there is a Filo Filiorum Petri. Now I know from the Locations topic forum and other reading that there is a Eterno River that runs to Pescara and the Draft/Alien Registration says Ponzano Eterno as last residence.
This will need more research, but we are getting closer. I have learned much from all of you, even to put info in columns for easier reading.
Thanks,
Dave
This best fit is for 1914 age 23 and destination Rochester NY where many relatives are.
The ship Verona is listed for this.
Ferro (from Ferri), Capriotti(TE); De(i)Marzio, Nervina(o), Colucci, Gatto, Testa(CB); Basile(BA) ; Bianchi(AQ); Augello, Bissi, Iacono(AG); Pisano(), Impaglia () Friends looking also: Vivenzio (SA); LoPiccolo(PA)-seems to be Lopicolo originally
Re: Ponzano Eterno in Abruzzo: Eterno means ?
Hi Dave, the right italian first name is ADDOLORATA( Dolorata is dialectal version() and I believe that the 1920 census is very right...
and abt the ship's manifest of a Emilio Ferri of 1914, yes the town is Fara Filiorum Petri( right spelll), and going Giovanni brother, and this is the ship's manifest of Giovanni ferri( I don't say that this are the brother of YOUR Emilio, only saying that this is the brother of Emilio Ferri from Fara Filiorum Petri)
http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 0519%2ETIF
abt Ponzano Eterno... Aterno was old name of current Pescara river.... near also Fara Filiorum Petri... regards, suanj
and abt the ship's manifest of a Emilio Ferri of 1914, yes the town is Fara Filiorum Petri( right spelll), and going Giovanni brother, and this is the ship's manifest of Giovanni ferri( I don't say that this are the brother of YOUR Emilio, only saying that this is the brother of Emilio Ferri from Fara Filiorum Petri)
http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 0519%2ETIF
abt Ponzano Eterno... Aterno was old name of current Pescara river.... near also Fara Filiorum Petri... regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery
----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Re: Ponzano Eterno in Abruzzo: Eterno means ?
suanji,
Yes, after looking at maps and searching the web, I see the Aterno River which joins other rivers and flows into the Pescara. I used MSN Live Search maps and satellite view to follow the Aterno and Tronto: they originate very close to one another.
Yet the Aterno is not in Teramo province where either of the Ponzano communes are so I still do not know why my grandfather had the name Ponzano Aterno on his registration card, unless as you say, it was misinterpreted as Ponzano Teramo. Note that there are Panzano communes too.
Finding more and more about family and Italy. The Aternus was the boundry between the Vestini tribe and the Marrucini tribe, and my ancestors may have come to the area at another time, it is another area to research. The other family members from Campobasso as you know, Samnium and one from Agrigento.
Thanks,
Dave
Yes, after looking at maps and searching the web, I see the Aterno River which joins other rivers and flows into the Pescara. I used MSN Live Search maps and satellite view to follow the Aterno and Tronto: they originate very close to one another.
Yet the Aterno is not in Teramo province where either of the Ponzano communes are so I still do not know why my grandfather had the name Ponzano Aterno on his registration card, unless as you say, it was misinterpreted as Ponzano Teramo. Note that there are Panzano communes too.
Finding more and more about family and Italy. The Aternus was the boundry between the Vestini tribe and the Marrucini tribe, and my ancestors may have come to the area at another time, it is another area to research. The other family members from Campobasso as you know, Samnium and one from Agrigento.
Thanks,
Dave
Ferro (from Ferri), Capriotti(TE); De(i)Marzio, Nervina(o), Colucci, Gatto, Testa(CB); Basile(BA) ; Bianchi(AQ); Augello, Bissi, Iacono(AG); Pisano(), Impaglia () Friends looking also: Vivenzio (SA); LoPiccolo(PA)-seems to be Lopicolo originally


