Not really.
I started by looking for a legal name change at the Worcester, MA courthouse and found nothing. Then I contacted the Massachusetts State Archives and they basically said that the Declaration of Inention/Application for Naturalization is proof of a legal name change. I got a certified copy of it, but as I said the name is wrong. I don't think I should bring it to the consolate. So that is where my problem is.
With that in mind I decided that my only other option would be my GF's USA passport application. The reason I went that route is because I'm pretty sure that in order to get the passport you must have your birth certificate. You also must list any other names you've ever used on the application. I'm still waiting to hear back from the Department of State in Washington DC.
name alteration
-
peggymckee
- Elite

- Posts: 264
- Joined: 22 Jun 2007, 00:00
Re: name alteration
I'm obviously missing something.
Are you saying that you didn't show GF's naturalization papers to the Consulate? If not, then how did they know that his arrival name was Gino and his naturalized name was JR?
Are you saying that you didn't show GF's naturalization papers to the Consulate? If not, then how did they know that his arrival name was Gino and his naturalized name was JR?
Surnames: Bertellotti - Ridolfi - Marchi
Re: name alteration
I brought his naturalization certificate. The application for naturalization is a different document.
They haven't seen the application. No they don't know about the Gino name usage. That's why I'm looking for other proof of Italian and American name on the same documentation. ie: passport application.
They haven't seen the application. No they don't know about the Gino name usage. That's why I'm looking for other proof of Italian and American name on the same documentation. ie: passport application.
- What cannot be achieved in one lifetime will happen when one lifetime is joined to another.
= Researching Brunetti, D'Aloia, Delfanti, & Milani Family Names. Casalvecchio Di Puglia, & other Arbëreshë communities.
= Researching Brunetti, D'Aloia, Delfanti, & Milani Family Names. Casalvecchio Di Puglia, & other Arbëreshë communities.
-
peggymckee
- Elite

- Posts: 264
- Joined: 22 Jun 2007, 00:00
Re: name alteration
So you're saying that "Peppino" isn't accepted as Joseph and Raffaele isn't accepted as Ralph. I think you're right not to show the petition, etc--just the certificate.
But at least according to the web "Peppino" means "Little Joseph". Maybe you need to clarify why the Consulate doesn't think so.
All the best, Peggy M
But at least according to the web "Peppino" means "Little Joseph". Maybe you need to clarify why the Consulate doesn't think so.
All the best, Peggy M
Surnames: Bertellotti - Ridolfi - Marchi
- Elisabettabella
- Newbie

- Posts: 1
- Joined: 27 Jul 2008, 16:55
Re: name alteration
dematteo2 wrote:The name on my bisnonno's certificate of naturalization is Albert Ciro De Matteo, which was changed from Alberto (on his birth certificate). Will this minor discrepancy have any impact on the application process? If so, how do I go about making any necessary changes to the document so that I don't get turned away by the consulate when it comes time to turn in everything I have? Thanks!!!
