Still looking for great grandfather Graffeo
Re: Still looking for great grandfather Graffeo
and if someone look up this record of 1900 census
-George Gareffes name city, Tarrant, Texas abt 1878 Italy White relation
- Mary Gareffes name city, Tarrant, Texas abt 1877 Italy White relation
- Joe Gareffes name,name city, Tarrant, Texas abt 1893 location White relation
- Radie Gareffes name,name city, Tarrant, Texas abt 1897 location White relation
- Marie Gareffes name,name city, Tarrant, Texas abt 1899 location White relation
suanj
-George Gareffes name city, Tarrant, Texas abt 1878 Italy White relation
- Mary Gareffes name city, Tarrant, Texas abt 1877 Italy White relation
- Joe Gareffes name,name city, Tarrant, Texas abt 1893 location White relation
- Radie Gareffes name,name city, Tarrant, Texas abt 1897 location White relation
- Marie Gareffes name,name city, Tarrant, Texas abt 1899 location White relation
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery
----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Re: Still looking for great grandfather Graffeo
Here you go, suanj,
1900 census.
http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/3351 ... 900ao0.jpg
NOTE: Radie should be Sadie & Mary's parents are listed below.
jcsm
1900 census.
http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/3351 ... 900ao0.jpg
NOTE: Radie should be Sadie & Mary's parents are listed below.
jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
Re: Still looking for great grandfather Graffeo
Yes, I remember this census record... it was posted either in this or other thread...
Thank you for relinking it jcsm,
The Lunetta's are also on this record...
Thank you for relinking it jcsm,
The Lunetta's are also on this record...
Re: Still looking for great grandfather Graffeo
Okay everybody I am back after thinking about all the info you all posted and
Going to the Family Center web site.
Thanks to you guys I am positive that Sadie (Rosaria) Pumilia is my great great grandmother. Her son was Georgio a barber in Ft. Worth. Her other son was Monsignor Vitus Graffeo a priest in Ft. Worth and later Corsicana TX. Their sister was Maryann who never married. Since Rosaria and Maryann came from Piana dei Greci I feel very confident that my great grandfather did too. This is true even though I believe that the correct ships manifest for him is the one posted on another thread where it shows he departed from Genoa and not Palermo as would be expected.
The manifest for Giovanni Graffeo, I think he could be related because he is going to stay with an uncle surnamed Petta and Petta is a family name I know of for certain. The other manifest for Georgio Griffo I don't think is any relation of mine. Carlo and his family might be related but I will set them aside for later.
On the Family Center web site I found the dates of a couple named Giovanni Pumilia and Caterina Riolo who lived in Piana and had a daughter named Rosaria in 1844. That's two years off other birthdates I have on Rosaria. However the name Vita Riolo is listed as the cousin of Monsignor Graffeo on I think the 1930 or is it 1910 census. So I think that's a match but I have to think more about that.
You guys also found my maternal grandmother's parents Joe and Mary Lunetta, plus their other children. Wow! That is some excellent researching. In the case of Rosaria's parents that's my great, great, great, grandparents found with your help. Doing a happy dance now!
Now what I think I have to do is still get that Social Security application on Georgio now that I know I know his mom was Sadie (Rosaria ) and I suspect his father's name was Giuseppe because of the naming tradition. I know now they are from Piana dei Grecci so I can write there to the places in Italy you all have suggested. In the meantime there's the Mormon Family Center which is not that far from here.
I would never have known to look for the name Rosario as the other name to Sadie! Plus I was really surprised that she came through Ellis Island. Those were gems that I would not have found on my own.
Just think before long I'll be searching for ancestors who lived in the 1700's!
Thanks guys!
Going to the Family Center web site.
Thanks to you guys I am positive that Sadie (Rosaria) Pumilia is my great great grandmother. Her son was Georgio a barber in Ft. Worth. Her other son was Monsignor Vitus Graffeo a priest in Ft. Worth and later Corsicana TX. Their sister was Maryann who never married. Since Rosaria and Maryann came from Piana dei Greci I feel very confident that my great grandfather did too. This is true even though I believe that the correct ships manifest for him is the one posted on another thread where it shows he departed from Genoa and not Palermo as would be expected.
The manifest for Giovanni Graffeo, I think he could be related because he is going to stay with an uncle surnamed Petta and Petta is a family name I know of for certain. The other manifest for Georgio Griffo I don't think is any relation of mine. Carlo and his family might be related but I will set them aside for later.
On the Family Center web site I found the dates of a couple named Giovanni Pumilia and Caterina Riolo who lived in Piana and had a daughter named Rosaria in 1844. That's two years off other birthdates I have on Rosaria. However the name Vita Riolo is listed as the cousin of Monsignor Graffeo on I think the 1930 or is it 1910 census. So I think that's a match but I have to think more about that.
You guys also found my maternal grandmother's parents Joe and Mary Lunetta, plus their other children. Wow! That is some excellent researching. In the case of Rosaria's parents that's my great, great, great, grandparents found with your help. Doing a happy dance now!
Now what I think I have to do is still get that Social Security application on Georgio now that I know I know his mom was Sadie (Rosaria ) and I suspect his father's name was Giuseppe because of the naming tradition. I know now they are from Piana dei Grecci so I can write there to the places in Italy you all have suggested. In the meantime there's the Mormon Family Center which is not that far from here.
I would never have known to look for the name Rosario as the other name to Sadie! Plus I was really surprised that she came through Ellis Island. Those were gems that I would not have found on my own.
Just think before long I'll be searching for ancestors who lived in the 1700's!
Thanks guys!
Re: Still looking for great grandfather Graffeo
Hi my Graffeo's are in Piana dei Greci, Sicily at least in the 1800's but who knows if they got there from somewhere else?girty wrote:Where are your Graffeo's from in Italy? I have an Antonia Grafeo or similiar spelling, Married to my GGGG father Angelo Catuosco. They lived in Paterno, Marsiconuovo, Potenza Italy. around 1815 or so.
Grafeo is a spelling varient of Graffeo. I have seen the same family referred to under both names. Have you tried the Mormon Family Center web site?
Here's the link: http://www.familysearch.org/
Re: Still looking for great grandfather Graffeo
If you can answer another question...
The priest Vitus... did he have another given name?
There are manifests of a Stefano who is listed as a churchman... not sure if he is the same person. I can look for that manifest later.
The priest was named Vitus P. Graffeo so I don't think he would be listed anywhere as Stefano. I have not found his manifest coming through Ellis Island so I presume he came through New Orleans in about 1909. I was so sure he came with his mother Rosaria and sister Marianne but he did not. It's strange to me that everyone comes over seemingly willy nilly. Oh well I am learning.
The priest Vitus... did he have another given name?
There are manifests of a Stefano who is listed as a churchman... not sure if he is the same person. I can look for that manifest later.
The priest was named Vitus P. Graffeo so I don't think he would be listed anywhere as Stefano. I have not found his manifest coming through Ellis Island so I presume he came through New Orleans in about 1909. I was so sure he came with his mother Rosaria and sister Marianne but he did not. It's strange to me that everyone comes over seemingly willy nilly. Oh well I am learning.
Re: Still looking for great grandfather Graffeo
nuccia wrote:Graffeo wrote: I received an email from someone asking me if I was related to Ciro Falco. It appears she found his obit...? Once I told her I wasn't related she offered no further info..I'm sorry. I can try and contact the sender again if you like.
I wish I could help but I have no relation named Ciro Falco that I know of and I have not mentioned his name anywhere on this forum. And thanks so much for forwarding the other email which I have responded to.
I also received another email for you recently...will forward to your PM..
Re: Still looking for great grandfather Graffeo
Yes I have that census and it's been a great help. Thank you anyway.suanj wrote:and if someone look up this record of 1900 census
-George Gareffes name city, Tarrant, Texas abt 1878 Italy White relation
- Mary Gareffes name city, Tarrant, Texas abt 1877 Italy White relation
- Joe Gareffes name,name city, Tarrant, Texas abt 1893 location White relation
- Radie Gareffes name,name city, Tarrant, Texas abt 1897 location White relation
- Marie Gareffes name,name city, Tarrant, Texas abt 1899 location White relation
suanj
Re: Still looking for great grandfather Graffeo
jcsm400 wrote:Hi Graffeo,
How are you doing on obtaining US documentation for your family?
Has the LDS film information for Piano dehi Albanesi been provided & have you ordered the films?......Too lazy to look through all the posts!
jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
Re: Still looking for great grandfather Graffeo
Not for Piana but someone told me the film numbers for Sciacca and the price. So I just now went over to their site and I found that theres' film for the census and other statistics on Piana. That's really neat! I am going to order those.jcsm400 wrote:jcsm400 wrote:Hi Graffeo,
How are you doing on obtaining US documentation for your family?
Has the LDS film information for Piano dehi Albanesi been provided & have you ordered the films?......Too lazy to look through all the posts!
jcsm![]()
![]()
![]()
Dumb question...when I get the film how do I read it?
Re: Still looking for great grandfather Graffeo
Your FHC will have microfilm viewers that will magnify the records & print out the records you want or they maybe more advance & then you can do it digitally. Some people jiust use digital cameras.
And just in case this wasn't provided, here is a Italian-English genealogical word list to help with translations.
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/ ... Italia.ASP
Hope this answers your question.
jcsm
And just in case this wasn't provided, here is a Italian-English genealogical word list to help with translations.
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/ ... Italia.ASP
Hope this answers your question.
jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
Re: Still looking for great grandfather Graffeo
Esperanza wrote: The priest Vitus... did he have another given name?
There are manifests of a Stefano who is listed as a churchman... not sure if he is the same person. I can look for that manifest later.
Then if Rosaria Pumilia is your G2 Grandmother... then Stefano (the churchman) might be related... note mother's name....Graffeo wrote: Thanks to you guys I am positive that Sadie (Rosaria) Pumilia is my great great grandmother. Her son was Georgio a barber in Ft. Worth. Her other son was Monsignor Vitus Graffeo a priest in Ft. Worth and later Corsicana TX.
First Name: Stefano
Last Name: Graffeo
Ethnicity: Italian South
Last Place of Residence: Piano, Palermo
Date of Arrival: Nov 03, 1909
Age at Arrival: 30y Gender: M Marital Status: S
Ship of Travel: Martha Washington
Port of Departure: Palermo
Manifest Line Number: 0004
Stefano churchman 1909 pg 1
page 2
Name was crossed off this manifest... note mother's name....
First Name: Stefano
Last Name: Graffeo
Ethnicity: Italian South
Last Place of Residence: Piano, Palermo
Date of Arrival: Nov 03, 1909
Age at Arrival: 30y Gender: M Marital Status: S
Ship of Travel: Martha Washington
Port of Departure: Palermo
Manifest Line Number: 0007
Page 1
Page 2
-------------------------
Guiseppe Graffeo
Arrival Date: 22 Nov 1895
Age: 57
Gender: Male
Port of Departure: Palermo, Italy
Ship Name: Montebello
Port of Arrival: New Orleans, Louisiana
Last Residence: Piano
National Archives' Series Number: M259_81
Graffeo New Orleans manifest
Re: Still looking for great grandfather Graffeo
Esperanza:
Really? That's so interesting. I am trying to go to the Ellis Island site myself and look it up but for some reason the manifests won't display for Stefano. They won't display when I click on the links you gave me either. Funny because it was fine earlier. Then again my internet has been quirky tonight. I will try to look again tomorrow.
Really? That's so interesting. I am trying to go to the Ellis Island site myself and look it up but for some reason the manifests won't display for Stefano. They won't display when I click on the links you gave me either. Funny because it was fine earlier. Then again my internet has been quirky tonight. I will try to look again tomorrow.
Re: Still looking for great grandfather Graffeo
Guiseppe Graffeo
Arrival Date: 22 Nov 1895
Age: 57
Gender: Male
Port of Departure: Palermo, Italy
Ship Name: Montebello
Port of Arrival: New Orleans, Louisiana
Last Residence: Piano
National Archives' Series Number: M259_81
Graffeo New Orleans manifest[/quote]
Oh there's another Barber named Graffeo from Piana. How many is that now 3 or four I think. Did you notice that he died on board the ship? It think do he's probably related too. We have a lot of Joes in our family. I will add him in the mix and hope it all ties togther eventually. Thanks a bunch.
Arrival Date: 22 Nov 1895
Age: 57
Gender: Male
Port of Departure: Palermo, Italy
Ship Name: Montebello
Port of Arrival: New Orleans, Louisiana
Last Residence: Piano
National Archives' Series Number: M259_81
Graffeo New Orleans manifest[/quote]
Oh there's another Barber named Graffeo from Piana. How many is that now 3 or four I think. Did you notice that he died on board the ship? It think do he's probably related too. We have a lot of Joes in our family. I will add him in the mix and hope it all ties togther eventually. Thanks a bunch.
Re: Still looking for great grandfather Graffeo
Esperanza:
Okay the pages finally displayed for Stefano. I must say I am stumped on this one. He's going to New York and his name is Stefano and those factors don't add up even though the other things do. There again I will just have to think about it and hope this piece of the puzzle falls into or out of place eventually. I need to find out how many children Rosario had and what they were named, which I think will be on the film I get from the Mormon Center on Piana. Thanks so much.
Okay the pages finally displayed for Stefano. I must say I am stumped on this one. He's going to New York and his name is Stefano and those factors don't add up even though the other things do. There again I will just have to think about it and hope this piece of the puzzle falls into or out of place eventually. I need to find out how many children Rosario had and what they were named, which I think will be on the film I get from the Mormon Center on Piana. Thanks so much.


