MANGANARO-TERRAZZANO

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
User avatar
helva
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 11
Joined: 18 Feb 2009, 08:59

Re: MANGANARO-TERRAZZANO

Post by helva »

I have found some of Francesco Manganaro's military records and they have his birthdate. It is clearly 186something and that last digit looks like a vertically elongated "S" where the top and bottom curves have been mostly stretched out so that most of the curve is straightened out. Looking through the rest of the document, it seems pretty clear that it is a 5, so his Birthdate is 9 July 1865.

Olimpia Terrezzano was born in Casamicciola, Ischia , by her SS death record 17 April 1871, but family notes say that her tombstone gives a birth year of 1875. The documents and translation for the marriage of Olimpia Terrazano and Francesco Manganaro give a date of 7 June 1894 at the municipal building in Casamicciola, Ischia. A family member notation states that they are both buried in St Annes cemetery in Cranston, RI.

I would like to obtain official copies of the birth and marriage of these two. I also have their parents name (Raphaelle Manganaro and Rosa Romeo, and Giuseppa Capezza and Ferdinando Terrazano). I am a bit confused as to where to send for these offical records as well as how to pay for them in Euros.
PeterTimber
Master
Master
Posts: 6811
Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 18:57
Location: Yonkers NY

Re: MANGANARO-TERRAZZANO

Post by PeterTimber »

The documents can be requested from Uffico di Stato Civile for Casamicciola Terme 80074, Naples province with form letters (each document requires separate letter since clerks reseach individually) which can be found at http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... tters.html

The service is free of charge. Mail the form letters to the Uffico di Stato Civile, Via paradisiello, Casamicciola Terme (NA), Campania Italy.

If your interested inthe town itself you can go to www.nonsolocap.it and type in the name and then click on the name for the web page and the toruist web page www is also linked. =Peter=
~Peter~
User avatar
liviomoreno
Master
Master
Posts: 7116
Joined: 13 Feb 2004, 00:00
Location: Rome, Italy
Contact:

Re: MANGANARO-TERRAZZANO

Post by liviomoreno »

The formatted address is

Ufficio di Stato Civile
Viale Paradisiello
80074 Casamicciola Terme
Italy

and I believe that the clerks are clever enough to perform the research even if they receive one letter with multiple request :wink:
User avatar
karendankar
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 16
Joined: 29 May 2007, 00:00
Location: RI, USA
Contact:

Re: MANGANARO-TERRAZZANO

Post by karendankar »

I'm sure someone here can help you out as some of them are right in Italy. They can help translate, change to euros, etc. Thanks for all the dates. I may have to go to St Ann's and see if I can find, it is a huge......cemetery, so I'll let you know.
Karen L Roberts
User avatar
helva
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 11
Joined: 18 Feb 2009, 08:59

Re: MANGANARO-TERRAZZANO

Post by helva »

Hi Karen

I have more specifics on the grave location, Section 16, lot 31 and the notation " one in from corner" (not sure what that is refering to).
1. Amadeo, 2. Francesco, 3. Olimpia It looks like my hubby is planning to visit next time he is in the area, I see that he's written the address and phone number of the place down next to his dad's notations.

It will be interesting to see what the gravestone says...there are conflicting documents on birth years for Francesco....his military record looks like 1865, and supposedly that what the gravestone says, but notations from the naturalization and some of the census records say 1866. For Olimpia, there are census records indication 1873, but family notes from the gravestone indicate 1875.

Notes from a translation of their marriage documents in June 1894 say that he is 25 and she is 22. So a bit of sleuthing is needed.

Linda
User avatar
karendankar
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 16
Joined: 29 May 2007, 00:00
Location: RI, USA
Contact:

Re: MANGANARO-TERRAZZANO

Post by karendankar »

Thanks Linda!!! Let me know how you do getting their birth records, etc. I will try to go to St. Ann's soon. Like I said, it is huge, but my husband's family is buried there, all over, so I can kinda find my way. If I go during the week, the caretakers are great and will find the site on the map and even take you to the site. Good Luck!!!
Karen L Roberts
User avatar
helva
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 11
Joined: 18 Feb 2009, 08:59

Re: MANGANARO-TERRAZZANO

Post by helva »

Hi Karen, my husband will be home late tonight (Monday) and says that he was able to go to the grave site yesterday on this business trip. He was able to talk with staff there at the cemetery and found the grave sites and has more to tell me when he gets home. I'll keep you posted. Linda
User avatar
karendankar
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 16
Joined: 29 May 2007, 00:00
Location: RI, USA
Contact:

Re: MANGANARO-TERRAZZANO

Post by karendankar »

Great Linda,
I hope he took photos!!!!! Let me know, I was heading out there tomorrow!!!
Karen
Karen L Roberts
User avatar
helva
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 11
Joined: 18 Feb 2009, 08:59

Re: MANGANARO-TERRAZZANO

Post by helva »

I have received a reply from Melito Porto Salvo regarding an inquiry for info on Francesco Manganaro, it is in Italian and if anyone can help me with a translation I would appreciate it. I can make an educated guess as to what it says, apparently they have found him.
Da: MARRA MARIA GIUSEPPINA
Inviato: mar 17/02/2009 9.41
A: lsmoorth@verizon.net
Oggetto: Archivio di Stato di Reggio Calabria. Trasmissione informazioni su Francesco Manganaro Prot.n. 810/28.34.01.04/22.7

In risposta alla Sua mail dell'11 febbraio corrente anno, si comunica che la ricerca svolta su Francesco Manganaro ha dato i seguenti risultati:
nel registro degli atti di nascita di Melito Porto Salvo ( atto numero d'ordine 26 del 4.07.1865)risulta nato il 3 luglio 1865 Francesco Manganaro figlio di Raffaele di 31 anni di professione pescatore e di Rosa Romeo di ventinove anni;
il bambino è stato battezzato a Melito Porto salvo il 4 luglio 1865
per il Direttore l'ASdc dr. Maria Giuseppina Marra
PeterTimber
Master
Master
Posts: 6811
Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 18:57
Location: Yonkers NY

Re: MANGANARO-TERRAZZANO

Post by PeterTimber »

As per your request there is a Birth record at Melito Porto Salvo,number #26 of July4,1865 stating that on July 3, 1865 Francesco Manganaro, son of Raffaele, aged 31, Fisherman and Rosa Romeo, aged 29 was born and baptized at Melito Porto on July 4,1865. Signed by Director Maria Giuseppina Marra.


Dates in Italy are reversed Day-Month and year

=Peter=
~Peter~
User avatar
karendankar
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 16
Joined: 29 May 2007, 00:00
Location: RI, USA
Contact:

Re: MANGANARO-TERRAZZANO

Post by karendankar »

Peter,
Thanks for the translation!!! Greatly appreciated.

Karen
Karen L Roberts
User avatar
helva
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 11
Joined: 18 Feb 2009, 08:59

Re: MANGANARO-TERRAZZANO

Post by helva »

Thanks Peter!

Now I have sent another email asking for a birth certificate on legal paper. I forgot that I actually need three copies, how do I politely ask for this in Italian and say that I will gladly send them any fees and postage associated with this request? And say thank you very much for your kind assistance.

Grazie

Linda
User avatar
helva
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 11
Joined: 18 Feb 2009, 08:59

Re: MANGANARO-TERRAZZANO

Post by helva »

I have received another email from Italy and would greatly appreciate another translation if anyone would help me out.

Gentile signor Manganaro,
in risposta alla Sua richiesta della copia legale dell'atto di nascita di Francesco Manganaro nato a Melito Porto Salvo il 3 luglio 1865, si comunica che è necessario che Lei invii a questo Archivio di Stato 30 euro per la marca da bollo e per le spese di spedizione. L'indirizzo a cui spedire il denaro, unitamente alla richiesta, è il seguente:
Archivio di Stato di Reggio Calabria, via Lia Casalotto - 89122 Reggio Calabria - Italia

per il Direttore, l' ASdc Maria Giuseppina Marra
PeterTimber
Master
Master
Posts: 6811
Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 18:57
Location: Yonkers NY

Re: MANGANARO-TERRAZZANO

Post by PeterTimber »

Here is the translation:

This is in reply to your request for a legal copy of the Birth Record
of Francesco Manganaro born at Melito Porto Salvo on July 3,1865,
You are advised that it is necessary for you to send to this State
Archive 30E (euro dollars) for the official stamp and to cover postage
The address to send the total amount is ARCHIVIO DI STATO DI
REGGIO CALABRIA, VIA LIA CASALOTTO, @(!@@ REGGIO CALABRIA
ITALY

Signed: For the Director of the State Archive:

Maria Giuseppina Marra



=Peter=
~Peter~
User avatar
helva
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 11
Joined: 18 Feb 2009, 08:59

Re: MANGANARO-TERRAZZANO

Post by helva »

Thanks Peter!

Do you happen to know how I might do this? Cash?

I may have that much in euros that I could send in cash but I seem to recall reading somewhere not to send cash (but they also said not to send more than a euro or two , so the info might be a bit outdated).

Or what other way can you send funds like this?
Post Reply