Philadelphia Consulate

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
User avatar
ciaotutti
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: 28 Aug 2010, 18:36

Re: Philadelphia Consulate

Post by ciaotutti »

Okay, I tried reaching them in 2003 (when my Father died in Naples). They didn't answer their phones, respond to emails or anything. Since then, I've tried sporatically over the past 7 years. So, it's no joke. I thought it may be due to my busy schedule. Based on this forum, evidently, this is how they do business. Anyway, I live just outside of Philadelphia and have some 'free' time (an oddity), so I'll try going down there in person and let you know what happens. Assuming they are still open.
User avatar
DeFilippis78
Master
Master
Posts: 1144
Joined: 02 Dec 2009, 02:19

Re: Philadelphia Consulate

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Im assuming they are still open. About 5-6 months ago I made an appt with them through email without a problem. I think now that they are booked for the rest of this year as well as all of 2011, maybe they feel there is no use in answering anyone. Im just guessing though. Let us know how it goes in person though.

Alicia
User avatar
ForzaItaliaPgh
Elite
Elite
Posts: 363
Joined: 02 Jul 2010, 18:35

Re: Philadelphia Consulate

Post by ForzaItaliaPgh »

I was getting responses via email in June/July from an unnamed person, but never could get someone on the phone. This month is absolute silence. I can't get anything from them. Good luck on the in person attempt!
Researching BARONTINI family from Tuscany
User avatar
ForzaItaliaPgh
Elite
Elite
Posts: 363
Joined: 02 Jul 2010, 18:35

Re: Philadelphia Consulate

Post by ForzaItaliaPgh »

Just a thought, but I wonder if the Ferragosto Holiday is responsible for the lack of response in August. As you all probably know, Italians tend to take off the whole of August for this holiday, maybe the consulate workers here keep the tradition alive and they'll get back to work next month. Let's hope so!
Researching BARONTINI family from Tuscany
User avatar
ForzaItaliaPgh
Elite
Elite
Posts: 363
Joined: 02 Jul 2010, 18:35

Re: Philadelphia Consulate

Post by ForzaItaliaPgh »

UPDATE:

Still trying to get an appointment with the Philadelphia consulate. I checked in with them recently and they told me to try again in 2011. Seems odd that I can't even schedule an appt. but that's what I'm hearing. Anyone scheduled an appt. in the last couple months with the citizenship office in Philly?
User avatar
mler
Master
Master
Posts: 2515
Joined: 01 Apr 2006, 00:00

Re: Philadelphia Consulate

Post by mler »

I wonder if this has something to do with the rumored closing of the Philadelphia consulate.
User avatar
ForzaItaliaPgh
Elite
Elite
Posts: 363
Joined: 02 Jul 2010, 18:35

Re: Philadelphia Consulate

Post by ForzaItaliaPgh »

Ciao mler,

I don't know, it certainly could. I asked them at one point if they were closing as rumored in 2012 and all I was told was that as they have not received "official word" from Rome, they could not comment on the possible closure.

I'd be interested to know if anyone has been able to schedule an appointment lately (in the last couple months).

It would also be interesting to see if any of the other consulates are not scheduling appointments.
User avatar
ForzaItaliaPgh
Elite
Elite
Posts: 363
Joined: 02 Jul 2010, 18:35

Re: Philadelphia Consulate

Post by ForzaItaliaPgh »

ciaotutti,

did you ever make that in-person attempt? We'd love to hear about it, if you did!
Researching BARONTINI family from Tuscany
User avatar
ForzaItaliaPgh
Elite
Elite
Posts: 363
Joined: 02 Jul 2010, 18:35

Re: Philadelphia Consulate

Post by ForzaItaliaPgh »

Well, the saga continues with this consulate. Since I last posted I have been in direct communication with the consul and he at first told me I'd get an appt ASAP, but a week later told me that everything is booked in 2010 and 2011 and to try back later.

Then I got in touch with one of the representatives in the Italian Parliament and explained the difficulty I am having in scheduling an appt to make my citizenship application and he contacted the citizenship office in Philly directly. I heard back from him today, and you guessed it, I am to try back at a later date.

It still seems ridiculous that the consulate is not scheduling any appointments, but I suppose there is little I can do to get one scheduled.

If anyone else is trying to apply through Philadelphia, beware you might also run into this problem.
Researching BARONTINI family from Tuscany
User avatar
mike123
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 64
Joined: 18 Sep 2010, 01:37

Re: Philadelphia Consulate

Post by mike123 »

this may sound stupid but, here is an option. I am told there is no law that makes you register with the commune of your ancestor and that you can apply in italy. http://www.luigipaiano.com/eng/ check this guy out he helps to register you in italy as a resident then you sign over power of attorney and he will finish the application on your behalf. he registers you in bologna. he says it takes about 5 months. just a thought. I dont know how legit he is!
User avatar
ForzaItaliaPgh
Elite
Elite
Posts: 363
Joined: 02 Jul 2010, 18:35

Re: Philadelphia Consulate

Post by ForzaItaliaPgh »

Grazie Mike. Definitely something I will be looking into!!
Researching BARONTINI family from Tuscany
User avatar
jalapeno89
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 33
Joined: 19 Dec 2010, 09:39

Re: Philadelphia Consulate

Post by jalapeno89 »

i'm sure you've already gotten into contact with Philadelphia, but i just spoke to the service they use to schedule appointments, and the soonest they have is 1/3/2012.... so very far off.

Has anyone spoken the the lawyer mentioned above? what have you thought? 1 year longer is too long.
User avatar
ForzaItaliaPgh
Elite
Elite
Posts: 363
Joined: 02 Jul 2010, 18:35

Re: Philadelphia Consulate

Post by ForzaItaliaPgh »

Actually, I hadn't asked again after being put off so many times I was going to wait until 2011 actually arrived. Thanks for the update, I just put in a request. I cannot believe it is going to be another year wait. How depressing.
User avatar
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master
Posts: 525
Joined: 12 Sep 2010, 19:39

Re: Philadelphia Consulate

Post by sceaminmonkey »

Hi,

I had got in to contact in the past with the lawyer mentioned above. basically what you do is go to italy where he registers you as a resident in Bologna. You sign over your power of attorney in Italy then he applies for you while you are back in the states or wherever. He says it takes about 5 months or so and warns that sometimes it is needed for you to make a second trip to italy. he quoted me around 2000 Euro. he says 80% of his clients get it in 5 months or less and usually it is about 4 months. He seemed knowledgable I would contact him yourself and talk to him. I was going to use him when I thought I was gona hit a dead end. good luck and I hope the info helps!
User avatar
DeFilippis78
Master
Master
Posts: 1144
Joined: 02 Dec 2009, 02:19

Re: Philadelphia Consulate

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Just something I want to add here. My brother in law is from Italy and has had to deal with Philly several times. They were even very difficult with him sliding the glass window shut in his face. They even gave him a hard time issuing him a passport and have been a pain in the rear with him on numerous occasions. It just makes me wonder if they treat italian born citizens this way, how do they treat us americans??!
Post Reply