Polito/Angilletta&Fuda surnames

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Post Reply
nuccia
Staff
Staff
Posts: 4606
Joined: 20 Nov 2005, 00:00
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Re: Polito/Angilletta&Fuda surnames

Post by nuccia »

Ellis Island site seems to be down tonight. Can't view images or do any searches. I did however find to interesting names in the Philadelphia and Boston sites but I can't view them without a subscription. Same with the 1930 census.

Domenico Fuda arrived 1912 through Penns. 2 pass. listings
Domenick Fuda born 1893 in 1930 Census King, PA
Domenico Fuda arrived 1910 through Boston,
Francesco Fuda arrived 1921 throu Boston.

My dad said his mothers brother Domenico went to Penn. so this may be him. Can anyone help?
As always, thanks.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
Image
User avatar
mfjp
Master
Master
Posts: 2211
Joined: 13 Aug 2004, 00:00
Contact:

Re: Polito/Angilletta&Fuda surnames

Post by mfjp »

Will be posting them shortly....

Yes... Ellis site was also down Friday night....

maria
User avatar
mfjp
Master
Master
Posts: 2211
Joined: 13 Aug 2004, 00:00
Contact:

Re: Polito/Angilletta&Fuda surnames

Post by mfjp »

1930 United States Federal Census Record info
about Domenick Fuda
Name: Domenick Fuda
Age: 37
Estimated birth year: abt 1893
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to head-of-house: Head
Spouse's Name: Mary Fuda
Race: White
Home in 1930: Seattle, King, Washington

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/253/1930cens9tf.gif

------------------------------------------------------------------

Boston Passenger Lists, 1891-1943 Record info
about Domenico Fuda
Name: Domenico Fuda
Arrival Date: 19 Apr 1910
Age: 18 years
Estimated Birth Year: 1892
Gender: Male
Ethnic Background: Italian (South)
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Ship Name: Lazio
Port of Arrival: Boston, Massachusetts
Friend's Name: Antonio Fuda
Last Residence: Italy
Birthplace: Mammola, Italy
Microfilm Roll Number: 147

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/8476/fuda19107ys.gif

page 2

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/2218 ... pg29pv.gif
-----------------------------------------------
Philadelphia Passenger Lists, 1883-1945 Record info
about Domenico Fuda
Name: Domenico Fuda
Arrival Date: 16 Aug 1912
Age: 20 years
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1892
Gender: Male
Ethnic Background: Italian (South)
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Ship Name: Mendoza
Port of Arrival: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Friend's Name: Felippa Marrano
Last Residence: Italy
Birthplace: Macanole, Italy
Microfilm Roll Number: 104

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/7210/pens4kk.gif

page 2

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/7559 ... ens7ro.gif
--------------------------------

Boston Passenger Lists, 1891-1943 Record info
about Francesco Fuda
Name: Francesco Fuda
Arrival Date: 27 Mar 1921
Age: 38 years
Estimated Birth Year: 1883
Gender: Male
Ethnic Background: Italian (South)
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Ship Name: Patria
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Friend's Name: Domenico Stolteri
Last Residence: Italy
Birthplace: Siderno, Italy
Microfilm Roll Number: 263

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/1555/imagex7cx.gif

page 2

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/1027 ... pg26zu.gif
--------------------------------------

I only see one Philadelphia pass. listing for Domenic

mfjp
nuccia
Staff
Staff
Posts: 4606
Joined: 20 Nov 2005, 00:00
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Re: Polito/Angilletta&Fuda surnames

Post by nuccia »

First Name: Francesco (born about 1897)
Last Name: Angilletta
Ethnicity: Italy, Italian South
Last Place of Residence: Grotteria, Reggio
Date of Arrival: Mar 18, 1913
Age at Arrival: 16y Gender: M Marital Status: S
Ship of Travel: Berlin
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0010

Well Maria, after all that searching, it appears that this was most likely my grandfather afterall. My sister had a copy of his death certificate and it seems he was born in Ardore, RC and my dad suddenly remembers his grandfathers name was Rocco! I just can't read the name of who he was going to dee in Brooklyn. Can you or anyone read it. It was ? Vincenzo, his brother...maybe he was the one married to my grandmother and not Enrico.

Also, went to go see my great aunt on my mothers side who's 90 today. She filled me in on the Politos and Macchiones (her mothers side). It was a difficult but fun morning. She only remembers bits and pieces but it gave me a great start since I was able to piece alot of it together. I'll keep you posted.

Hope your holidays are going well!

Erminia
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
Image
nuccia
Staff
Staff
Posts: 4606
Joined: 20 Nov 2005, 00:00
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Re: Polito/Angilletta&Fuda surnames

Post by nuccia »

First Name: Carmine
Last Name: Polito
Ethnicity: Italian, South
Last Place of Residence: Malito, Italy
Date of Arrival: Jun 26, 1911
Age at Arrival: 18y Gender: M Marital Status: S
Ship of Travel: America
Port of Departure: Napoli
Manifest Line Number: 0028


I'm trying to view the manifest for Carmine Polito, John's brother but Ellis Island site shows me a different person then this. What do I do next? Is there a different site that I can check this out on?
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
Image
User avatar
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 1302
Joined: 06 Oct 2003, 00:00

Re: Polito/Angilletta&Fuda surnames

Post by VaDeb »

Dr. Morse has given us a wonderful tool for this situation:

http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/EIDB ... index.html

First click on the ship's list page and enter the information you have from the index. (I find I sometimes need to add a day or two to either side of the date)

This will get you to the proper microfilm roll.

Then +1 frame will advance you page by page and -1 frame will take you back. Start at the beginning of the ship manifest and go through it by page until you find the entry. The one you want should still be on line number 28 of a page.
User avatar
mfjp
Master
Master
Posts: 2211
Joined: 13 Aug 2004, 00:00
Contact:

Re: Polito/Angilletta&Fuda surnames

Post by mfjp »

First Name: Carmine
Last Name: Polito
Ethnicity: Italian, South
Last Place of Residence: Malito, Italy
Date of Arrival: Jun 26, 1911
Age at Arrival: 18y Gender: M Marital Status: S
Ship of Travel: America
Port of Departure: Napoli
Manifest Line Number: 0028

page 1

page 2

mfjp
User avatar
mfjp
Master
Master
Posts: 2211
Joined: 13 Aug 2004, 00:00
Contact:

Re: Polito/Angilletta&Fuda surnames

Post by mfjp »

mfjp
Not sure if this 16 year old is the same Francesco Bruno Angilletta you wrote about, the year of birth is very close... Any Rocco’s in your family?? Father in Italy would be Rocco.

First Name: Francesco (born about 1897)
Last Name: Angilletta
Ethnicity: Italy, Italian South
Last Place of Residence: Grotteria, Reggio
Date of Arrival: Mar 18, 1913
Age at Arrival: 16y Gender: M Marital Status: S
Ship of Travel: Berlin
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0010

page 1
http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 0792%2ETIF

page 2
http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 0792%2ETIF

----------------------------------
mfjp
nuccia wrote:I just can't read the name of who he was going to see in Brooklyn. Can you or anyone read it. It was ? Vincenzo, his brother...maybe he was the one married to my grandmother and not Enrico

Erminia
Brother-in-law Vincenzo Adornato?
-----------------------------------------

Here's his ship record...

First Name: Vincenzo
Last Name: Adornato
Ethnicity: Italy South Italian
Last Place of Residence: Grotteria, Reggio Cal
Date of Arrival: Apr 02, 1912
Age at Arrival: 23y Gender: M Marital Status: S
Ship of Travel: Berlin
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0018

page 1

page 2

Take a look at box 18....

mfjp :P
nuccia
Staff
Staff
Posts: 4606
Joined: 20 Nov 2005, 00:00
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Re: Polito/Angilletta&Fuda surnames

Post by nuccia »

As always, thank you Maria. I did try to look up Carmines manifest on Steve Morse site as Debbie suggestted but it was taking sooo long...I guess once one knows what to do its easier! I am sure this is the right Carmine but who is he leaving behind in Italy???His father(?) Domenico or his mother? My eyesight is poor and I have trouble reading Italian anyway.. I know Carmine did marry and John, never seeing his wife and children again, left his nieces and nephews everything he had when he passed away. I can't follow them after 1930 census but mom thinks John died around Sept 1954 on the day of her sisters engagement and believe it or not Vincenza died in 1959, when my mother announced her engagement!

On another note, made contact with Vincenza Macchione's family in Arizona! We haven't determined if their grandfather was Vincenza's bother or cousin yet but they are also researching the family so I have lots of names now!

Hope your Christmas went well and Santa was good to you!!!

Erminia
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
Image
User avatar
mfjp
Master
Master
Posts: 2211
Joined: 13 Aug 2004, 00:00
Contact:

Re: Polito/Angilletta&Fuda surnames

Post by mfjp »

Hi Erminia,

I think it does say "father" Domenico... Carmine would be ending up in Tacoma, Colorado.
nuccia wrote: On another note, made contact with Vincenza Macchione's family in Arizona! We haven't determined if their grandfather was Vincenza's bother or cousin yet but they are also researching the family so I have lots of names now!

Hope your Christmas went well and Santa was good to you!!!

Erminia
That's wonderful! You're doing quite well with the research... nice that you've made contact with paesanos in Arizona.

How are you keeping track of everything?

I have tons of little papers stuffed in a box ... from Kleenex, bus transfers, a hydro bill, church bulletins, you name it... with names and dates collected from just about anywhere.... genea software... a must have.

Santa was pretty good.... too bad he doesn't do dishes........ :mrgreen:

maria
nuccia
Staff
Staff
Posts: 4606
Joined: 20 Nov 2005, 00:00
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Re: Polito/Angilletta&Fuda surnames

Post by nuccia »

Oh Oh..I forgot about the dishes...I guess I should do those at some point today!

I think Carmine died in Sunnyside, Carbon Utah but I can't find Jon at all or any census for Carmen.YET!

I did however come in contact with someone from Hollywood California who funny enough, while researching his family has found relatives of mine(Angilletta and Fuda) What's even funnier is that HIS family lives here in Toronto and one of his uncles was my dads best friend! Small world, huh? He sent his family info. The power of the internet!

Is the Family History Centre in Toronto closed for holidays this week? I can't get an answer and was wondering if I needed an appointment to go or do I just show up?
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
Image
nuccia
Staff
Staff
Posts: 4606
Joined: 20 Nov 2005, 00:00
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Re: Polito/Angilletta&Fuda surnames

Post by nuccia »

I have another ellis island dilemma..i can't view the manifests for

First Name: Domenico
Last Name: Macchione
Ethnicity: Italy Italian South
Last Place of Residence: Belsito
Date of Arrival: May 06, 1907
Age at Arrival: 23y Gender: M Marital Status: M
Ship of Travel: Cretic
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0015


Also, on the same trip is Francesco Caputo

First Name: Francesco
Last Name: Caputo
Ethnicity: Italy Italian South
Last Place of Residence: Belsito
Date of Arrival: May 06, 1907
Age at Arrival: 16y Gender: M Marital Status: S
Ship of Travel: Cretic
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0014


Maria, if you remember from the census you linked, John Polito lived with Frank Caputo. Can you look this up for me on Steve Morse....I have trouble using his site (although I will attempt it.)

Thanks
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
Image
User avatar
mfjp
Master
Master
Posts: 2211
Joined: 13 Aug 2004, 00:00
Contact:

Re: Polito/Angilletta&Fuda surnames

Post by mfjp »

Hi.. just read your post... and the other reply...

Ok... will look for this manifest.. now that I am using Firefox as my internet browser... viewing these manifests is a breeze!

What's even funnier is that HIS family lives here in Toronto and one of his uncles was my dads best friend! Small world, huh? He sent his family info. The power of the internet!
Small world!! Nice that you can connect to people like this... but with our winters here... you wonder "why Toronto??"

Back soon...
Maria

p.s. am looking at the ship records of the Cretic... somewhat damaged...
User avatar
mfjp
Master
Master
Posts: 2211
Joined: 13 Aug 2004, 00:00
Contact:

Re: Polito/Angilletta&Fuda surnames

Post by mfjp »

Looks like one of my boys closed up my internet windows while doing a search... can't leave the computer for one minute...

Created a link for the manifest...

Luckily the 3 (Luigi, Francesco and Domenico) were on the same page...

http://img381.imageshack.us/img381/8352 ... man2ud.jpg

Brothers Luigi and Francesco Caputo on this record would be joing his B-i-L Pasquale Macchione in Lackawana (sp?) New York...

According to the manifest, Luigi was in the USA from 1902 -1906

Domenico Macchione would be joining his brother Pasquale in Lackawana as well...

I don't know how long you've been in Toronto, but do you recall a Polito's Grocery store on Eglinton? As a kid, Mom would hand me her paycheque and I would do the groceries at Polito's by myself... quite fun when your a kid... luckily they delivered the groceries for us...

I also went to school with a few Caputo's on Vaughan Road...

So glad that you are following up on these guys... I kinda lost track of everything these last few days.. what we need is a review or a recap for this family.

Well... the weekend battle for the computer continues.. will check this post off and on today...

maria :P
nuccia
Staff
Staff
Posts: 4606
Joined: 20 Nov 2005, 00:00
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Re: Polito/Angilletta&Fuda surnames

Post by nuccia »

-----------------------------

Can you help me answer these questions please?
Where is the library near Yordale and is it the North York library? Do I need to go in person to order films or will they do it over the phone?

I called the family history centres but they won't check over the phone if they have the films and you need to go in person to order, which is fine but its a long busride from my place so I am trying to find some easier way and the library would be perfect....(and I can shop with all that X-mas money)!
Post Reply