Colombo/Tinto/DeVito Families-New Rochelle, New York

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Post Reply
User avatar
NYJudi
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 59
Joined: 24 Jul 2006, 00:00
Location: AZ

Re: Colombo/Tinto/DeVito Families-New Rochelle, New York

Post by NYJudi »

wldspirit wrote:Judy....this is great news!!! You now have confirmation on the name change.......so that is one brick wall down....... :P

How are you coming along with the rest of your research?? Just let us know if you need anything......we are always happy to help.......

It's great when posters keep us updated.....Best Wishes for a very
Merry Christmas!!!!!!

DeLisa
I still haven't found anything for Matteo Colombo and Maria D Vaccaro my great grandparents in this country. I was hoping that the man who's wife was from New Rochelle and posted to the board would come back and post. I even sent a private message to his inbox that he never picked up or responded to. His wife's name was Angelina Colombo like my grandmother and she lived in New Rochelle for 1 years. He told me to concentrate my search to Bonefro since that's where most of the Colombo's/Vaccaro's from New Rochelle came from. Then there was the woman who found my post from Google search and was a distance relative of mine. Her aunt was my grandmothers niece and her grandmothers brother had just died. I was able to get his obituary from a Maine newspaper and there was a picture of him. She was going to ask her dad what he knew about the family and get back to me. I never heard again from her and it's been a couple of months ago. I wrote to her once and no response. Bummers!!!!

I was wondering if someone could tell me something about Maria Di Talli or maybe it's Di Lalli? She was the woman who stood up for my grandmother at her wedding. I had no luck in my search for her on Ancestry. The folks here seem better at searching and able to find things that I haven't found. Also, is there a way where I can find out if Nicola was my grandfathers brother, cousin, etc?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Judy
wldspirit
Staff
Staff
Posts: 5606
Joined: 17 Nov 2004, 00:00
Location: U.S.A.
Contact:

Re: Colombo/Tinto/DeVito Families-New Rochelle, New York

Post by wldspirit »

Took a quick look at records held in Westchester County......
the following surnames are present:

Di Lalli

De Tallis

Di Lallo

Talli

and a Maria Lalli, as well as a Maria Luigia Lalli.
These two names appear in 1912 and 1921 respectively.

Busy day today.......but we can look further into this name and the Colombo and D Vaccaro names later.....hang in there!!!!!! :D
wldspirit
vj
Master
Master
Posts: 8066
Joined: 16 Aug 2002, 00:00

Re: Colombo/Tinto/DeVito Families-New Rochelle, New York

Post by vj »

Tinto Family? vj

possible 1900 census
Name: Michael Dinghilda
Home in 1900:
4 Lafayette, rents house
(same street as the Columbo family in 1910...)
New Rochelle Ward 4, Westchester, New York
Age: 42 Estimated birth year: abt 1858
Birthplace: Italy
Relationship to head-of-house: Head
Spouse's name: Carmela
Immigration year: 1884

Household Members:
Name Age
Michael Dinghilda 42 (abt Feb 1858)
- married 19 yrs (abt 1881)
- immig 1884, in US 16 yrs, Al
- junk dealer
Carmela Dinghilda 33 (abt Mar? 1867)
- married 19 yrs (was 14 yrs old?)
- immig 1884, in US 16 yrs
- 6? children born/6 children living
(2 children not living with this family)
Charles Dinghilda 14 (abt Feb 1886)
- b in NY
Nicholas Dinghilda 10 (abt Jun 1889)
- b in NY
Antonis Dinghilda 9 (abt Feb 1891?)
- b in NY
Joseph Dinghilda 7 (abt May 1893)
- b in NY
vj
Master
Master
Posts: 8066
Joined: 16 Aug 2002, 00:00

Re: Colombo/Tinto/DeVito Families-New Rochelle, New York

Post by vj »

Tinto Family
Do we have these? vj

WWII Draft Registration Cards
Name: Charles Tinto
Birth: 7 Feb 1887 - New Rochelle, New York
Residence: Fairfield, Connecticut

Name: Nicholas Tinto
Birth: 18 Jun 1889 - New Rochelle, New York
Residence: Brookfield, Connecticut
vj
Master
Master
Posts: 8066
Joined: 16 Aug 2002, 00:00

Re: Colombo/Tinto/DeVito Families-New Rochelle, New York

Post by vj »

Tinto Family
Do we have this census? vj

possible 1910 census
Name: Michell Tinchitalla [Michele]
Age in 1910: 52
Estimated birth year: abt 1858
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Head
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Spouse's name: Carmela
Home in 1910:
19 4th St, owns house w/mortgage
New Rochelle Ward 4, Westchester, New York
Year of Immigration: 1885

Household Members:
head Michell Tinchitalla 52 (abt 1858)
- married 27 yrs (abt 1883)
- immig 1885, Na
wife Carmela Tinchitalla 42 (abt 1868)
- immig 1885
- married 27 yrs (married at age 14)
- 6 children born/living
son Nicholas Tinchitalla 21 (abt 1889)
- b in NY
- carpenter, house
son Tony Tinchitalla 17 (abt 1893)
- b in NY
- plasterer, house
son Joseph Tinchitalla 15 (abt 1895)
- b in NY
- plasterer, house

son Charles 23 (abt 1887)
- married 3 yrs (abt 1907)
- b in NY
- carpenter, house
daughter-in-law Ano? 24 (abt 1886)
- 1 child born/living
- Fin-Swedish
- immig 1899
niece? Carmela 1yr 2 mos (abt 1908)
- b in NY
vj
Master
Master
Posts: 8066
Joined: 16 Aug 2002, 00:00

Re: Colombo/Tinto/DeVito Families-New Rochelle, New York

Post by vj »

Tinto Family

earlier from Maria:
"Hi wldspirit and Judy...
Thanks for posting the census info...
Re the 1920 census... take a look at the parents names??
Am I reading "Tinchilitta, Michele"?? Opinions needed...
Maria"


Charles Tinto family, agree w/Maria, jcsm and
wldspirit it appears both parents, Michael & Carmela
may be living w/Charles Tinto & family
under last name Tinchelleta, vj


wldspirit's 1920 census find linked earlier on pg 1

Appears to be a close match to 1900 & 1910 census' above
131 2nd St (Charles Tinto rents)
New Rochelle
father Michael Tinchilleta, 62 (abt 1858)
- immig 1885, Na 1895
- labor, street dept
mother Carmela, 53 (abt 1867)
- immig 1885, Na 1895
wldspirit
Staff
Staff
Posts: 5606
Joined: 17 Nov 2004, 00:00
Location: U.S.A.
Contact:

Re: Colombo/Tinto/DeVito Families-New Rochelle, New York

Post by wldspirit »

Also, is there a way where I can find out if Nicola was my grandfathers brother, cousin, etc?
That would depend on documentation........if you can find and pull any records on the grandfather, you may come across something that would reference a family member, same with Nicola.

The earlier manifest list very little information, which can be fustrating.
However, Ancestry has updated their immigration records.....so maybe we can locate a return trip.......found one for my Nonni and Nonno returning from a visit to family in the 1950's....so maybe we can get lucky and locate something further on your family...... :)

These brick walls can be fustrating...but never, never give up!! I had one on my husbands side that took a year to get over......but when that one little clue came in........it opened up a wealth of info!!!!!

wldspirit
User avatar
NYJudi
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 59
Joined: 24 Jul 2006, 00:00
Location: AZ

Re: Colombo/Tinto/DeVito Families-New Rochelle, New York

Post by NYJudi »

[quote="wldspirit"]Took a quick look at records held in Westchester County......
the following surnames are present:

Di Lalli

De Tallis

Di Lallo

Talli

and a Maria Lalli, as well as a Maria Luigia Lalli.
These two names appear in 1912 and 1921 respectively.

Where are you finding these names? I didn't see any of them on Ancestry.com. I'll have to go back and take another look tomorrow, when I have more time. I took my grandparents wedding certificate to my sons and he and his mother-in-law thought the name was Maria Di Jalli. Can you look to see if there is anything on that name in Westchester? I'm just not as good as all of you when it comes to researching.

Judy
User avatar
NYJudi
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 59
Joined: 24 Jul 2006, 00:00
Location: AZ

Re: Colombo/Tinto/DeVito Families-New Rochelle, New York

Post by NYJudi »

vj wrote:Tinto Family? vj

possible 1900 census
Name: Michael Dinghilda
Home in 1900:
4 Lafayette, rents house
(same street as the Columbo family in 1910...)
New Rochelle Ward 4, Westchester, New York
Age: 42 Estimated birth year: abt 1858
Birthplace: Italy
Relationship to head-of-house: Head
Spouse's name: Carmela
Immigration year: 1884

Household Members:
Name Age
Michael Dinghilda 42 (abt Feb 1858)
- married 19 yrs (abt 1881)
- immig 1884, in US 16 yrs, Al
- junk dealer
Carmela Dinghilda 33 (abt Mar? 1867)
- married 19 yrs (was 14 yrs old?)
- immig 1884, in US 16 yrs
- 6? children born/6 children living
(2 children not living with this family)
Charles Dinghilda 14 (abt Feb 1886)
- b in NY
Nicholas Dinghilda 10 (abt Jun 1889)
- b in NY
Antonis Dinghilda 9 (abt Feb 1891?)
- b in NY
Joseph Dinghilda 7 (abt May 1893)
- b in NY
This does seem to be the same family, doesn't it? I have seen the Tinchitella name spelled a few different ways but never Dinghilda. I'm probably missing a lot of information because of the many different ways the name is being spelled. If I saw it, I probably would have looked at it and moved on, without really reading it.

Judy

Judy
User avatar
NYJudi
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 59
Joined: 24 Jul 2006, 00:00
Location: AZ

Re: Colombo/Tinto/DeVito Families-New Rochelle, New York

Post by NYJudi »

vj wrote:Tinto Family
Do we have this census? vj

possible 1910 census
Name: Michell Tinchitalla [Michele]
Age in 1910: 52
Estimated birth year: abt 1858
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Head
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Spouse's name: Carmela
Home in 1910:
19 4th St, owns house w/mortgage
New Rochelle Ward 4, Westchester, New York
Year of Immigration: 1885

Household Members:
head Michell Tinchitalla 52 (abt 1858)
- married 27 yrs (abt 1883)
- immig 1885, Na
wife Carmela Tinchitalla 42 (abt 1868)
- immig 1885
- married 27 yrs (married at age 14)
- 6 children born/living
son Nicholas Tinchitalla 21 (abt 1889)
- b in NY
- carpenter, house
son Tony Tinchitalla 17 (abt 1893)
- b in NY
- plasterer, house
son Joseph Tinchitalla 15 (abt 1895)
- b in NY
- plasterer, house

son Charles 23 (abt 1887)
- married 3 yrs (abt 1907)
- b in NY
- carpenter, house
daughter-in-law Ano? 24 (abt 1886)
- 1 child born/living
- Fin-Swedish
- immig 1899
niece? Carmela 1yr 2 mos (abt 1908)
- b in NY
The woman who posted to me on the board about a month ago, grandmother was Ano. I was hoping to get more information from her and she was going to ask her dad but I never heard from her again which surprised me but she seemed excited to have found a distant relative.

Again, I don't know where you find your information...this was really interesting and told me things that I didn't know like my great grandparents owned a house on the same street that my grandparents had there house. I wish I had known it when I was living in New York so I could have went to see it. I also didn't know that my great grandmother got married at a very young age like my grandmother did. Fascinating. The only son missing on the census is Samuel but maybe he was married and out of the house in 1910. My grandmother was out of the house for sure. The only brothers of my grandmother listed in her obituary was Nicholas, Samual and Charles and a sister, Mrs Nicholas Vaccaro. Maybe the other brothers had died by then?

Thanks for some added information.

Judy
wldspirit
Staff
Staff
Posts: 5606
Joined: 17 Nov 2004, 00:00
Location: U.S.A.
Contact:

Re: Colombo/Tinto/DeVito Families-New Rochelle, New York

Post by wldspirit »

Judy, the Westchester archives contain a wealth of information.....that is where I found the name for naturalization records.
Here is a link:
http://www.co.westchester.ny.us/wcarchives/default.htm
Once you find the documents you are interested in, a request can then be submitted thru the site:
http://www.co.westchester.ny.us/wcarchi ... #OrderCopy

Hope this helps... :D
wldspirit
wldspirit
Staff
Staff
Posts: 5606
Joined: 17 Nov 2004, 00:00
Location: U.S.A.
Contact:

Re: Colombo/Tinto/DeVito Families-New Rochelle, New York

Post by wldspirit »

I've looked thru a surname database, two actually, and I am not finding
any of the names I found previously, listed, with the exception of LALLI AND DI LALLO.....
both are native to Bonefro. Could be coincedental......I am by no means a names expert!! That would be Suanj's area of expertise!!!

There are a number of Maria Lalli's coming thru immigration databases,
and a number of Vaccaro, Columbo and Lalli connect to Ohio???

Will keep looking........

wldspirit
wldspirit
Staff
Staff
Posts: 5606
Joined: 17 Nov 2004, 00:00
Location: U.S.A.
Contact:

Re: Colombo/Tinto/DeVito Families-New Rochelle, New York

Post by wldspirit »

Forgive me if this has been posted before....... :oops:


1910 United States Federal Census
Name: Maria Colombo
Age in 1910: 41
Estimated birth year: abt 1869
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Wife
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Spouse's name: Nicola
Home in 1910: New Rochelle Ward 4, Westchester, New York
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Gender: Female
Year of Immigration: 1891
Household Members: Name Age
Nicola Colombo 41
Maria Colombo 41
Guiseppe Colombo 9
Maria D Colombo 7
Ginnarino Colombo 4
Cristoforo Colombo 2/12
Matteo Cicchelli 32
Paolo Scoffellito 45
Catherina Scoffellito 15

wldspirit
wldspirit
Staff
Staff
Posts: 5606
Joined: 17 Nov 2004, 00:00
Location: U.S.A.
Contact:

Re: Colombo/Tinto/DeVito Families-New Rochelle, New York

Post by wldspirit »

1930 United States Federal Census
Name: Maria I Colombo
Home in 1930: New Rochelle, Westchester, New York
Age: 10
Estimated birth year: abt 1920
Relation to Head of House: Daughter
Father's name: John
Mother's name: Reeva

Household Members: Name Age
John Colombo 44
Reeva Colombo 26
Lusia Colombo
Maria I Colombo 10
Nicolo Colombo 14

Could be total coincedence, but note the names of the children......
wldspirit
User avatar
NYJudi
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 59
Joined: 24 Jul 2006, 00:00
Location: AZ

Re: Colombo/Tinto/DeVito Families-New Rochelle, New York

Post by NYJudi »

wldspirit wrote:Judy, the Westchester archives contain a wealth of information.....that is where I found the name for naturalization records.
Here is a link:
http://www.co.westchester.ny.us/wcarchives/default.htm
Once you find the documents you are interested in, a request can then be submitted thru the site:
http://www.co.westchester.ny.us/wcarchi ... #OrderCopy

Hope this helps... :D
wldspirit
I so want to know who Nicola Colombo is and I did find 2 Nicola Colombo's listed in the Westchester archives. I'm not sure if one is him or not since both immigrated in the early 1900's. According to my grandfathers certificate to become a citizen, my grandfather became a citizen in 1890 and Nocola Colombo was his witness. Could the date on the certificate be wrong or the date on the Westchester archives?

Another thing that puzzles me is that my grandfathers (Domenico Colombo) certificates to become a citizen states he arrived in New York from Italy on November 14, 1890. My great-grandfathers (Michele Tinchettella) certificates states he arrived on December 8, 1882 and yet, when I go to the Ellis Island site or the Castle Garden site I don't find them arriving on these dates. I'm not even sure if there was a ship arriving on these dates entering New York. Could the dates on both certificates be wrong?

Judy
Post Reply