Anthony Gallucci...no passenger list, no naturalization?
Anthony Gallucci...no passenger list, no naturalization?
I'm hitting a roadblock trying to find supporting documents for a jus sanguinis case. My tools are humble, and I'm not terribly experienced in genealogical research.
I'm attempting to track down my great great grandfather, Anthony Gallucci who immigrated to the US from Italy around 1886 (according to 1910 census) and 1888 (according to 1920 census), and (according to 1930 census). :-/
It appears he is called "Tony" in the 1910 census, "Antonio" in the 1920 census, and "Anthony" in the 1930 census.
Also in the 1920 census and the 1930 census, he is listed at living at the same address (810 S. Jefferson in New Castle, PA), and the children are 10 years older, as one would expect, which makes me think that 'Antonio' and 'Anthony' are the same person. However, he is listed at 70 years old in the 1930 census, but only 51 in the 1920 census.
He is also listed as an Alien in 1930 Census. According to his death record, he was born in Italy on 10, April 1861 and died in the USA on 30, Jan 1937. He lived his whole life as a millworker/laborer in New Castle, PA.
However, I can't find any indication of his arrival to this country in the Ellis Island passenger records, or where he was from in Italy. It appears his father, Ralph Gallucci, remained in Italy and nothing is known about his mother.
His marriages were a bit tricky to figure them out, but I think they are as follows:
Married around 1896 to Margaret (Mary, Maria) Dominica Bashett (Bascetta) who died 1 Aug, 1905. He then remarried Marie (Mary)? died 22 April, 1936
Children with Margaret:
Ralph
Catherine
Mary
James
Joseph
Anna
Lena
Charles
Children with Mary:
Margaret
Rose (Rosa)
Anthony
Am I missing something when it comes to birth, arrival, naturalization records? I really don't know where to turn at this point to get accurate info about my Great Great Grandfather.
Any help is deeply appreciated.
I'm attempting to track down my great great grandfather, Anthony Gallucci who immigrated to the US from Italy around 1886 (according to 1910 census) and 1888 (according to 1920 census), and (according to 1930 census). :-/
It appears he is called "Tony" in the 1910 census, "Antonio" in the 1920 census, and "Anthony" in the 1930 census.
Also in the 1920 census and the 1930 census, he is listed at living at the same address (810 S. Jefferson in New Castle, PA), and the children are 10 years older, as one would expect, which makes me think that 'Antonio' and 'Anthony' are the same person. However, he is listed at 70 years old in the 1930 census, but only 51 in the 1920 census.
He is also listed as an Alien in 1930 Census. According to his death record, he was born in Italy on 10, April 1861 and died in the USA on 30, Jan 1937. He lived his whole life as a millworker/laborer in New Castle, PA.
However, I can't find any indication of his arrival to this country in the Ellis Island passenger records, or where he was from in Italy. It appears his father, Ralph Gallucci, remained in Italy and nothing is known about his mother.
His marriages were a bit tricky to figure them out, but I think they are as follows:
Married around 1896 to Margaret (Mary, Maria) Dominica Bashett (Bascetta) who died 1 Aug, 1905. He then remarried Marie (Mary)? died 22 April, 1936
Children with Margaret:
Ralph
Catherine
Mary
James
Joseph
Anna
Lena
Charles
Children with Mary:
Margaret
Rose (Rosa)
Anthony
Am I missing something when it comes to birth, arrival, naturalization records? I really don't know where to turn at this point to get accurate info about my Great Great Grandfather.
Any help is deeply appreciated.
Re: Anthony Gallucci...no passenger list, no naturalization?
Welcome to IG website
Page link to possible shipmanifest for Antonio Gallucci 1888 coming from Faeto province of Foggia
http://www.castlegarden.org/quick_searc ... id=9228457
Marty
Page link to possible shipmanifest for Antonio Gallucci 1888 coming from Faeto province of Foggia
http://www.castlegarden.org/quick_searc ... id=9228457
Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia
Marty
Marty
Re: Anthony Gallucci...no passenger list, no naturalization?
Death record of Anthony Gallucci father was Ralph Gallucci
PG LINK
http://interactive.ancestry.com/5164/42 ... turnRecord
Marty
PG LINK
http://interactive.ancestry.com/5164/42 ... turnRecord
Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia
Marty
Marty
Re: Anthony Gallucci...no passenger list, no naturalization?
First, thank you very much for your help.
Yes, his dob is listed as April 10, 1861 on his death certificate, but the age of 36 on the manifest of 1888 would put his birth at 1852, so I'm not sure it is the same guy.
Yes, his dob is listed as April 10, 1861 on his death certificate, but the age of 36 on the manifest of 1888 would put his birth at 1852, so I'm not sure it is the same guy.
Re: Anthony Gallucci...no passenger list, no naturalization?
POSSIBLY the family in 1900 US CENSUS? Name terribly misspelled?
First son named after Antonio's father, Ralph/Raffele...
Last four names are boarders...
Name: Geo Galutch
[Geo Galatch]
Age: 40
Birth Date: Apr 1860
Birthplace: Italy
Home in 1900: Newcastle Ward 5, Lawrence, Pennsylvania
Race: White
Gender: Male
Immigration Year: 1887
Relation to Head of House: Head
Marital Status: Married
Spouse's Name: Mary Galutch
Marriage Year: 1892
Years Married: 8
Father's Birthplace: Italy
Mother's Birthplace: Italy
Occupation: View on Image
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
Geo Galutch 40
Mary Galutch 25
Ralph Galutch 7
Kate Galutch 6
James Galutch 4
Mary Galutch 4
Cossimir Galutch 2
Frank Bleas 43
Tony Pasqualla 37
Nick Bells 30
Cassina Parotta 30
T.
First son named after Antonio's father, Ralph/Raffele...
Last four names are boarders...
Name: Geo Galutch
[Geo Galatch]
Age: 40
Birth Date: Apr 1860
Birthplace: Italy
Home in 1900: Newcastle Ward 5, Lawrence, Pennsylvania
Race: White
Gender: Male
Immigration Year: 1887
Relation to Head of House: Head
Marital Status: Married
Spouse's Name: Mary Galutch
Marriage Year: 1892
Years Married: 8
Father's Birthplace: Italy
Mother's Birthplace: Italy
Occupation: View on Image
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
Geo Galutch 40
Mary Galutch 25
Ralph Galutch 7
Kate Galutch 6
James Galutch 4
Mary Galutch 4
Cossimir Galutch 2
Frank Bleas 43
Tony Pasqualla 37
Nick Bells 30
Cassina Parotta 30
T.
Re: Anthony Gallucci...no passenger list, no naturalization?
THAT'S HIM! Woah...I'd seen a distant relative (still trying to contact her) on Ancestry.com who'd listed him as 'George Galutch' at one point, but I shook it off as perhaps signifying a nickname that he went by later in life. That address, 405 S Jefferson St. (and the spouse/kids names) match up with the 1910 Census, where he is called "Tony Gallucci", which is the family surname.
My guess is that because neither he nor his wife spoke English, and could not read/write, the census official just did the best he could with the spelling (perhaps it was 5pm on a Friday!)
Now, if only I could find where he was born/lived in Italy...
My guess is that because neither he nor his wife spoke English, and could not read/write, the census official just did the best he could with the spelling (perhaps it was 5pm on a Friday!)
Now, if only I could find where he was born/lived in Italy...
Re: Anthony Gallucci...no passenger list, no naturalization?
Antonio and second wife Maria Ciampa's marriage record. No. 7183. Married 18 Dec 1904 in St. Vitus Church in New Castle. States his first wife's death was 1 Aug 1904.
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:2VWW-QMJ
Biff
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:2VWW-QMJ
Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
Re: Anthony Gallucci...no passenger list, no naturalization?
POSSIBLE World War I Draft Registration Card for son, Ralph...
He was residing in San Francisco.
Born in New Castle, PA on 5 August 1892...
Ralph Michael Gallucci
United States World War I Draft Registration Cards
Name Ralph Michael Gallucci
Event Type Draft Registration
Event Date 1917-1918
Event Place San Francisco City no 1, California, United States
Gender Male
Nationality United States
Birth Date 05 Aug 1892
Birthplace Newcastle, Pennsylvania, United States
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... cc=1968530
*****
POSSIBLE 1940 US Census for son, Ralph...
Ralph Gallucci
United States Census, 1940
Name Ralph Gallucci
Event Type Census
Event Date 1940
Event Place Councilmanic District 10, Los Angeles, Los Angeles Township, Los Angeles, California, United States
Gender Male
Age 47
Marital Status Single
Race (Original) White
Race White
Relationship to Head of Household (Original) Head
Relationship to Head of Household Head
Birthplace Pennsylvania
Birth Year (Estimated) 1893
Last Place of Residence Same Place
Line 13
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... cc=2000219
T.
He was residing in San Francisco.
Born in New Castle, PA on 5 August 1892...
Ralph Michael Gallucci
United States World War I Draft Registration Cards
Name Ralph Michael Gallucci
Event Type Draft Registration
Event Date 1917-1918
Event Place San Francisco City no 1, California, United States
Gender Male
Nationality United States
Birth Date 05 Aug 1892
Birthplace Newcastle, Pennsylvania, United States
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... cc=1968530
*****
POSSIBLE 1940 US Census for son, Ralph...
Ralph Gallucci
United States Census, 1940
Name Ralph Gallucci
Event Type Census
Event Date 1940
Event Place Councilmanic District 10, Los Angeles, Los Angeles Township, Los Angeles, California, United States
Gender Male
Age 47
Marital Status Single
Race (Original) White
Race White
Relationship to Head of Household (Original) Head
Relationship to Head of Household Head
Birthplace Pennsylvania
Birth Year (Estimated) 1893
Last Place of Residence Same Place
Line 13
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... cc=2000219
T.
Re: Anthony Gallucci...no passenger list, no naturalization?
Thanks for that Biff...it definitely sounds like him...same birth year/month as on other records, and since his 2nd wife is listed as 'Marie Champ Gallucci' on Anthony's death certificate, this makes sense. However, this record puts her birth at August 1866, while her death cert puts her birth at March 25, 1871.
I'm finding that each record seems to be off in one or two places, usually spelling of name, dob, immigration year. Is this normal? Fortunately home addresses and names/ages of children remain pretty consistent, which allows me to be pretty confident that we're got the right guy.
I've tried to put together a grid for what I have so far. Still looking for his birth certificate an the marriage cert to his first wife.
http://i.imgur.com/bMCZKos.jpg?1
I don't even know where to begin finding his birth certificate. Given the current problems with dates/ages, I'm starting to warm to Marty's link here: http://www.castlegarden.org/quick_searc ... id=9228457 for an Antonio Gallucci in 1888, which seems pretty consistent with census records +/- a few years. The problem with the manifest is that it lists him as 36, rather than 26...I wonder if it is just another typo.
Does one simply try to track down the vital statistics office in Faeto with a 'Hey, I think my great, great grandfather lived there...can you check?'
I'm finding that each record seems to be off in one or two places, usually spelling of name, dob, immigration year. Is this normal? Fortunately home addresses and names/ages of children remain pretty consistent, which allows me to be pretty confident that we're got the right guy.
I've tried to put together a grid for what I have so far. Still looking for his birth certificate an the marriage cert to his first wife.
http://i.imgur.com/bMCZKos.jpg?1
I don't even know where to begin finding his birth certificate. Given the current problems with dates/ages, I'm starting to warm to Marty's link here: http://www.castlegarden.org/quick_searc ... id=9228457 for an Antonio Gallucci in 1888, which seems pretty consistent with census records +/- a few years. The problem with the manifest is that it lists him as 36, rather than 26...I wonder if it is just another typo.
Does one simply try to track down the vital statistics office in Faeto with a 'Hey, I think my great, great grandfather lived there...can you check?'
Re: Anthony Gallucci...no passenger list, no naturalization?
Thanks Tessa...that's definitely Ralph. I'd no idea he had moved to CA...just assumed everyone stuck around New Castle. Looks like he'd claimed to be suffering from syphilis on his draft card...this is getting pretty colorful. 
I just want to take a second to express my deepest appreciation for everyone's help...this discovery process could very well lead to a major fork in the road for my family and future generations if it allows me to make a case for jus sanguinis citizenship. So I'm incredibly grateful to you all.
I just want to take a second to express my deepest appreciation for everyone's help...this discovery process could very well lead to a major fork in the road for my family and future generations if it allows me to make a case for jus sanguinis citizenship. So I'm incredibly grateful to you all.
Re: Anthony Gallucci...no passenger list, no naturalization?
Pennsylvania Death Certificate for Pietro Gallucci, father Raffaele, mother Madaleni Vatelli (Vitelli?) Possible brother/cousin of Antonio?
http://interactive.ancestry.com/5164/41 ... sePUB=true
http://interactive.ancestry.com/5164/41 ... sePUB=true
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
Re: Anthony Gallucci...no passenger list, no naturalization?
Nice work Biff!
The surnames of Gallucci and Vitale are both found in Faeto
Marty
The surnames of Gallucci and Vitale are both found in Faeto
Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia
Marty
Marty
Re: Anthony Gallucci...no passenger list, no naturalization?
Thanks, Marty!
Our poster might want to order the Faeto birth (Nati) films for Mar 1860-1865 to see if he can find Antonio's birth act.
https://familysearch.org/search/catalog ... %20Library
Biff
Our poster might want to order the Faeto birth (Nati) films for Mar 1860-1865 to see if he can find Antonio's birth act.
https://familysearch.org/search/catalog ... %20Library
Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
Re: Anthony Gallucci...no passenger list, no naturalization?
Thanks so much Biff, this is fascinating. There's certainly a connection there...perhaps even brothers given the father's name, and given the age at death, coupled with Antonio's birth, it would make them very close in age, so it could be very likely that they were brothers.
One thing I noticed on the death cert was that the mother's maiden name and the first name of the witness were the same. I'm wondering if this was just a coincidence, or if someone misunderstood and filled it out using Pietro's wife's maiden and married name. The handwriting looks the same in both instances.
One thing I noticed on the death cert was that the mother's maiden name and the first name of the witness were the same. I'm wondering if this was just a coincidence, or if someone misunderstood and filled it out using Pietro's wife's maiden and married name. The handwriting looks the same in both instances.
Biff83 wrote:Pennsylvania Death Certificate for Pietro Gallucci, father Raffaele, mother Madaleni Vatelli (Vitelli?) Possible brother/cousin of Antonio?
http://interactive.ancestry.com/5164/41 ... sePUB=true
Re: Anthony Gallucci...no passenger list, no naturalization?
Thanks Marty, given that Vitale is used on the death cert, are you suggesting that it is also an alternative spelling of Vatelli that the woman may have anglicized slightly? Or do you mean that the record-keeper may have spelled her name phonetically?
adelfio wrote:Nice work Biff!
The surnames of Gallucci and Vitale are both found in Faeto
Marty

