Seeking help finding information on Luigi Orso arrived in New York in 1901 from Cabella, Piedmonte, Italy please
Seeking help finding information on Luigi Orso arrived in New York in 1901 from Cabella, Piedmonte, Italy please
Hi everyone, I am revisiting the quest to find out about my great grandfather's brother who we believe emigrated to US in in early 1900's.
This forum helped me a few years ago try to establish if a Guiseppi Orso could have been the brother but it was inconclusive. I have recently obtained my great grandfather's birth certificate which show his parents names as Giovanni and Carolina. Once I logged them into the family tree app, the database started to give matches for a Luigi Orso.
There was a Luigi Orso living close to my great grandfather in London in the 1901 census but by 1911 was not listed as living at the address with his wife Mary and daughter. This is the tantalising clue for me as the daughters name was Quintina which is not a million miles away from my great grandfather's name Quinto.
There is a Luigi Orso listed on ships manifest arriving in New York in 1901 aboard Kaiserin Maria Theresia. His age fits with the census for 1901 in the UK.
The manifest lists him as being from Cabella which is close to where the family originally lived in Candelo, so I wonder if he went back to the area from London before heading to New York, leaving his wife and daughter back in London.
The oral history in our family says the brother emigrated to US and nothing more. I guess the piece I need help with concerns trying to find if there are records in the US in which Luigi would have recorded his parents names or original birth place please.
Also I can't see anything on the ships manifest to indicate who he was going to stay with if that is possible to know as it might cross check with other relatives.
I've tried to get this down concisely, I hope it makes sense and thank you to anyone who can help please.
Kind regards,
Chris Orso (UK)
This forum helped me a few years ago try to establish if a Guiseppi Orso could have been the brother but it was inconclusive. I have recently obtained my great grandfather's birth certificate which show his parents names as Giovanni and Carolina. Once I logged them into the family tree app, the database started to give matches for a Luigi Orso.
There was a Luigi Orso living close to my great grandfather in London in the 1901 census but by 1911 was not listed as living at the address with his wife Mary and daughter. This is the tantalising clue for me as the daughters name was Quintina which is not a million miles away from my great grandfather's name Quinto.
There is a Luigi Orso listed on ships manifest arriving in New York in 1901 aboard Kaiserin Maria Theresia. His age fits with the census for 1901 in the UK.
The manifest lists him as being from Cabella which is close to where the family originally lived in Candelo, so I wonder if he went back to the area from London before heading to New York, leaving his wife and daughter back in London.
The oral history in our family says the brother emigrated to US and nothing more. I guess the piece I need help with concerns trying to find if there are records in the US in which Luigi would have recorded his parents names or original birth place please.
Also I can't see anything on the ships manifest to indicate who he was going to stay with if that is possible to know as it might cross check with other relatives.
I've tried to get this down concisely, I hope it makes sense and thank you to anyone who can help please.
Kind regards,
Chris Orso (UK)
-
darkerhorse
- Master

- Posts: 4006
- Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31
Re: Seeking help finding information on Luigi Orso arrived in New York in 1901 from Cabella, Piedmonte, Italy please
Is this your Luigi?
Luigi Orso
in the England, Select Marriages, 1538–1973
England, Select Marriages, 1538–1973 No record image
Text-only collection
Name: Luigi Orso
Gender: Male
Age: 32
Birth Date: 1861
Marriage Date: 1893
Marriage Place: Saint Anne Soho, Westminster, London, England
Father:
Giovanni Orso
Spouse:
Mary Ann Rome
FHL Film Number: 1468921
Reference ID: 2:FLDT2P
Luigi Orso
in the England, Select Marriages, 1538–1973
England, Select Marriages, 1538–1973 No record image
Text-only collection
Name: Luigi Orso
Gender: Male
Age: 32
Birth Date: 1861
Marriage Date: 1893
Marriage Place: Saint Anne Soho, Westminster, London, England
Father:
Giovanni Orso
Spouse:
Mary Ann Rome
FHL Film Number: 1468921
Reference ID: 2:FLDT2P
-
darkerhorse
- Master

- Posts: 4006
- Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31
Re: Seeking help finding information on Luigi Orso arrived in New York in 1901 from Cabella, Piedmonte, Italy please
Hi Darkerhorse,
Thanks for taking an interest. This is the Luigi I am interested in.
Would there be any images of the marriage certificate that shows Luigi's fathers name as Giovanni?
Are there any records in the US that let me know how his life unfolded over there?
Regards,
Chris
Thanks for taking an interest. This is the Luigi I am interested in.
Would there be any images of the marriage certificate that shows Luigi's fathers name as Giovanni?
Are there any records in the US that let me know how his life unfolded over there?
Regards,
Chris
-
darkerhorse
- Master

- Posts: 4006
- Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31
Re: Seeking help finding information on Luigi Orso arrived in New York in 1901 from Cabella, Piedmonte, Italy please
I had tried to attach this record above (in the message with the word record) but I couldn't get it to work. So I saved it as a pdf.
Re: Seeking help finding information on Luigi Orso arrived in New York in 1901 from Cabella, Piedmonte, Italy please
Darkerhorse,
Thank you so much for doing this for me. Thanks to the marriage certificate which shows the same father's name as my great grandfather's birth certificate and the way all the dates and ages tie together along with the other clues such has daughters name and the proximity in London and Candelo I am now certain this is the brother .
Of course that is not the end of the story and I will endeavour to find if he ended his day's in the US, got remarried and maybe has descendents.
If you can point me in the right direction for searchable records online, I'd greatly appreciate it. It took a lot of writing, translating and waiting for the Italian authorities to produce birth certificates for my great grandfather but I imagine now we can pinpoint Luigi in the US with his year of entry and YOB, things will be easier.
Thanks once again,
Regards,
Chris
Thank you so much for doing this for me. Thanks to the marriage certificate which shows the same father's name as my great grandfather's birth certificate and the way all the dates and ages tie together along with the other clues such has daughters name and the proximity in London and Candelo I am now certain this is the brother .
Of course that is not the end of the story and I will endeavour to find if he ended his day's in the US, got remarried and maybe has descendents.
If you can point me in the right direction for searchable records online, I'd greatly appreciate it. It took a lot of writing, translating and waiting for the Italian authorities to produce birth certificates for my great grandfather but I imagine now we can pinpoint Luigi in the US with his year of entry and YOB, things will be easier.
Thanks once again,
Regards,
Chris
-
darkerhorse
- Master

- Posts: 4006
- Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31
Re: Seeking help finding information on Luigi Orso arrived in New York in 1901 from Cabella, Piedmonte, Italy please
I'm using Ancestry.com.
According to Quintana's marriage record, her father Luigi was deceased when she married in 1926.
According to Quintana's marriage record, her father Luigi was deceased when she married in 1926.
-
darkerhorse
- Master

- Posts: 4006
- Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31
-
darkerhorse
- Master

- Posts: 4006
- Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31
Re: Seeking help finding information on Luigi Orso arrived in New York in 1901 from Cabella, Piedmonte, Italy please
This 1905 school record for her lists Louis as parent/guardian. I assume it's her father. The 1907 record appears to list someone else. Different addresses are listed.
What do you think?
What do you think?
-
darkerhorse
- Master

- Posts: 4006
- Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31
Re: Seeking help finding information on Luigi Orso arrived in New York in 1901 from Cabella, Piedmonte, Italy please
The 1911 Census record for Mary and Quintina Orso lists Mary as married. Mary is using the surname Orso. Number of years married is recorded but I can't tell if it's 14 or 17.
If she married Luigi Orso in 1893 then she would have been married for 18 years as of 1911. So, if the number recorded is 17 (and not 14) then that would be close enough.
She couldn't have been married to someone else for 14 years. The math wouldn't work.
So, this Census record suggests that Luigi and Mary are still married in 1911, but he is absent for some reason (maybe he's in the US), but you never know.
What's your theory?
If she married Luigi Orso in 1893 then she would have been married for 18 years as of 1911. So, if the number recorded is 17 (and not 14) then that would be close enough.
She couldn't have been married to someone else for 14 years. The math wouldn't work.
So, this Census record suggests that Luigi and Mary are still married in 1911, but he is absent for some reason (maybe he's in the US), but you never know.
What's your theory?
Re: Seeking help finding information on Luigi Orso arrived in New York in 1901 from Cabella, Piedmonte, Italy please
Dark horse,
This is so interesting. I am going to talk to my Dad to see if this jogs any memories for him . He's always maintained the brother went to the US. I think he said that his dad visited his uncle in US, which could have been Luigi. I need a little time to write all this down and make sense of it so I can agree with your theory or come up with another.
Thanks once again for your investigations.
Regards,
Chris
This is so interesting. I am going to talk to my Dad to see if this jogs any memories for him . He's always maintained the brother went to the US. I think he said that his dad visited his uncle in US, which could have been Luigi. I need a little time to write all this down and make sense of it so I can agree with your theory or come up with another.
Thanks once again for your investigations.
Regards,
Chris
-
darkerhorse
- Master

- Posts: 4006
- Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31
Re: Seeking help finding information on Luigi Orso arrived in New York in 1901 from Cabella, Piedmonte, Italy please
Do you have this 1900 marriage record for Qunito (married on Boxing Day)?
It lists names of both parents, plus the witnesses - Luigi and Mary Orso.
More evidence that they were brothers.
It lists names of both parents, plus the witnesses - Luigi and Mary Orso.
More evidence that they were brothers.
