Italian SSN and registration?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Petrarca
Rookie
Rookie

Italian SSN and registration?

Post by Petrarca »

Hi, I was approved by the consulate in December, but I have yet to be officially registered in Italy.

THe Consular officer told me two weeks ago that I could come down and get a passport anytime I like since I am now an Italian citizen, BUT he suggested I wait untill my records were recorded in the town of my great-grandfather's birth to make everything go more smoothly.

My question is: when you get the notice from your town in Italy (the one to which your papers are sent), do you get some sort of Italian identification number or something similar??? I mean, how do you prove you're an Italian citizen?
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Italian SSN and registration?

Post by ricbru »

Hello,
I think that when you'll receive the papers from the homtown of your ancestors, you'll read on it you are an Italian citizien.
Also all Italian citizien have a kind of SSN.
I don't know if it proves you are a citizien
It is called "codice fiscale"

Codice Fiscale

Tax identification number

Tax identification number: what it is and to what's for

The tax identification number represents the instrument of identification of the citizen in the relationships with the agencies and the public administrations. Only the valid one is that rilasciato from the Agenzia delle Entrate. No external subject therefore is authorized to produce to programs for the calculation or the press of the code.

In the case it has not been still attributed, must introduce itself to the local Office of the Agenzia delle Entrate with an acknowledgment document; for the aliens, it is necessary passport or allowed of stay. For the babies enough the birth certificate or the relative autocertificazione of the parent.

The attribution of the number of tax identification number can be carried out, beyond that from the local Offices of the Agency of the Entrances, also from the Common ones (for the babies, within sixty days from birth) and from It consoles to you (for the residents to the foreign country), if it connects you to the informative system of the Fiscal Registry office.

see sample of Codice Fiscale

http://www.gmax.it/img/forcod.gif

I hope it helps, bye Riccardo
trevisan2
Master
Master

Re: Italian SSN and registration?

Post by trevisan2 »

Codice Fiscale

A Codice Fiscale is really easy to get, I got one a few months ago, all you need to an the office for the Codice Fiscale and give them a picture ID and they make it out on the spot. I was there in person, so that part was easy.
when I got mine it was a number on a paper, stamped by them, with my name.

In my case, I was getting some utilities turned on, and needed it.

Reguards,
Trevisan2
Researching in the provincia di Treviso, Italy, Provaglio Sopra, Val Sabbia of Brescia.
Domege di Cadore, Cavalo, Fumane, Verona

Forno di Rivara, TO, Canischio, TO