Need help translation Marriage Record Palermo

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Re: Need help translation Marriage Record Palermo

Post by liviomoreno »

The groom is Cajetanus (Gaetano in Italian) Gallina son of the deceased Filippo Binetti and the bride is Providentia (=Provvidenza) Cannella de Valenti daughter of the deceased Mariano Valenti. date of marriage Sep 30 1806. The mothers of the spouses are not nominated.
helepera
Rookie
Rookie

Post by helepera »

Thanks, Livio. This has been very confusing because Ifound other records dated 3 years earlier, that appear to show that Providenza ws married to Mariano Valenti, and he died. Someone had suggested that her maiden name was Cannella and it was written as Cnannella di Valenti, because her husband was dead. Withiout the names of her mom, it's dificult to figure. I thiought I saw the name Giordano writtten towards the right . What do u think?
Lucap
Master
Master

Post by Lucap »

http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab10 ... nellad.jpg
Il giorno 30 di settembre 1806 (Indizione decima)
Premesse le pubblicazioni nei tre giorni festivi continui, di cui la prima avuuta il giorno 21 delcorrente settembre, la seconda il giorno 28 dello stesso (mese) e la terza il 29 dello stesso (mese) nei riti solenni della messa, io ... ... don Francesco canonico Perricone arciprete interrogai Gaetano Gallina vedovo della fu Filippa Billetti e Provvidenza Cannellata(?) Valenti vedova del fu Mariano(?) Valentii e avuto il loro reciproco consenso li congiunsi in matrimonio per "verba de praesenti", davanti ai testimoni mastro Antonino e mastro Giuseppe Vadasta.

L.
Lucap
Master
Master

Post by Lucap »

helepera wrote:I thought I saw the name Giordano writtten towards the right . What do u think?
The name Giordano is not present in the document.

L.
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

Lucap wrote:http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab10 ... nellad.jpg
Il giorno 30 di settembre 1806 (Indizione decima)
Premesse le pubblicazioni nei tre giorni festivi continui, di cui la prima avuuta il giorno 21 delcorrente settembre, la seconda il giorno 28 dello stesso (mese) e la terza il 29 dello stesso (mese) nei riti solenni della messa, io ... ... don Francesco canonico Perricone arciprete interrogai Gaetano Gallina vedovo della fu Filippa Billetti e Provvidenza Cannellata(?) Valenti vedova del fu Mariano(?) Valentii e avuto il loro reciproco consenso li congiunsi in matrimonio per "verba de praesenti", davanti ai testimoni mastro Antonino e mastro Giuseppe Vadasta.

L.
Grazie Luca! I knew I was missing something!!!!

Groom Gaetano Gallina widower of Filippa Billetti
Bride Privvidenza Cannellata Valenti widow of Mariano Valenti.

The parents'names are missing.
Lucap
Master
Master

Post by Lucap »

:wink:
helepera
Rookie
Rookie

Post by helepera »

Thanks!
helepera
Rookie
Rookie

Post by helepera »

I think I found my grandmother's brother. When I found my grandmother, her mother was listed as Benedetta Spurio Leone, as is her brother. But now, there is a larger explanation and I hope someone can tell me what this record reveals. Many thanks in advance!

http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab10 ... toWed1.jpg
helepera
Rookie
Rookie

Post by helepera »

http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab10 ... to2Wed.jpg

PERHAPS THIS INVERTED COPY IS EASIER TO READ.

Thank you for your patience.
Lucap
Master
Master

Post by Lucap »

Not explanations about the surname: it only says that Antonio's mother is "Benedetta Spurio vulgo Leone". The word "vulgo" means that Benedetta surname was Spurio but she was also knon as Leone (maybe a family nickname). Benedetta and her husband were from Perillo(?) but they lived in Santo Stefano parish from many years.
P.S.
Larger pics are welcome :wink:

L.
helepera
Rookie
Rookie

Post by helepera »

IThanks. I did some research after someone mentioned that SPUIRO means illegitimate. Sure enough, that's was I found, too. That's wy I am so confused. I don't know if I should assume SPURIO is a nickname, or a definition. I can't find any records for the name Leone, Benedetta. Very odd. Her name only shows in 2 marriage records of her children. I can't find biorth info for her children, either. I suspect they were not from Campofiorito or Bisaquino -or they never notified the authorities of births??? But, I can't believe Catholic folks would not christen their kids.

The saga continues. Thans for the help!
helepera
Rookie
Rookie

Post by helepera »

Lucap,

I tried to enlarge the pic, but the actual record is poor. That's why I attached another copy of the record in reverse black and white. I hope it's OK( in prior message Jan 31, 2010 7:57 pm).
Is it possible that you or someone else can provide me with a line (word by word) translation of the record.? I ask this because my parish priest, who is old and can't see to well, seemed to think the town was Peritii??? I have no idea. I tried google maps for anything in Sicily that maybe close.

This is so hard, especially since my research is now stopped without my ability to identify her name or her any of her family.

Thanks, again!
Lucap
Master
Master

Post by Lucap »

In what town exactly the marriage of Antonio and Giuseppa took place?

L.
helepera
Rookie
Rookie

Post by helepera »

So u mean Giuseppe Scianni and Benedetta? That's what I can't determine. Their kids are showing that they were born in Campofiorito.
Lucap
Master
Master

Post by Lucap »

helepera wrote:That's what I can't determine.
I knew that. It's for this reason that i asked you about the marriage of Antonio and Giuseppa ( http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab10 ... to2Wed.jpg ) to know, approximately, the area in which to look for the place mentioned (Oppido Peritii in latin) :wink:

L.