Adolphus descoteaux-French Bap record

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
stokkster1
Elite
Elite

Adolphus descoteaux-French Bap record

Post by stokkster1 »

I have attached an Image of a Bap record for Adolphus Descoteaux, Could some one transcribe it?

Thank you

Debbie
Attachments
Adolphus_descoteaux.png
erudita74
Master
Master

Re: Adolphus descoteaux-French Bap record

Post by erudita74 »

It's better to copy and paste the url so that it can be enlarged to be made easier to read. I can tell you what the document says but am having difficulty with the surnames since I'm not familiar with those in Three Rivers, Quebec, Canada

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=1321742

Adolphe and Narcisse (Narcissus) Descouteaux were baptized on Jan 5, 1824 by the parish priest of this town. Their father was Gabriel Descouteaux and their mother was Emilie (Miler or Miles?) of this parish. They appear to be twins, which is the reason why I'm seeing two sets of godparents.The first set is for Aldolphe, and the second set is Narcisse. The godfather of Aldophe was Guilliaume Hunter, and the godmother was Barbe Brunet. The godfather of Narcisse was Joseph Tullier (sp?) and the godmother was Jule Michelin.

Possibly now that I've posted the url, and the record can be enlarged, someone else with a knowledge of French will be able to do more with this record for you. I think that, if we can confirm the surnames, you pretty much have from the record the important info.

Erudita
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

I misspelled the surname. It should be Descoteaux, as you have. I put a "u" after the "o" by mistake.
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

In the record the surname is spelled Descoteau (no final x).
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Livio
In the margin, there is no final x, but in Gabriel's surname in the record there is an x at the end. I also found the index, which I didn't bookmark, and there is clearly an x at the end of the surname there too.
Erudita
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Here's the index where you can clearly see that the surname ends in the letter x (right column).

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=1321742
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

The final "x" in the body of the record looks like an "r", in the index it is definitely "x". What is weird is that both in the margin and in the index appears the name of the father, Gabriel, instead of the second twin, Narcisse.
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Livio,
It is weird that the father's name appears in the index, and in margin, but not the name of the second infant. I was confused when I first saw the record and couldn't understand why there were two sets of godparents, but I saw the word jumaux, which is either a misspelling of the standard French word jumeaux (for twins-two male or one male and one female), or a dialectal spelling in French Canada. But Gabriel is clearly the father in the record and not a middle name of Adolphe or the name of the twin male infant. I also think the use of the double B in the margin could be an indication that two infants, and not one, were being baptized. I've never before seen a record like this one.
Erudita
stokkster1
Elite
Elite

Post by stokkster1 »

Thank you all so very much. My mothers last name is often spelled many ways

Descoteaux- how my mom was born, Descoteau, Decoteau, often is missing the s or the x. I would have never guessed my Great grandpa was a twin, the name orginal was Lefebvre, and then changed to Lefebvre dit Descoteau, the name evolved back and forth with the S and x added or missing. Story has it that five brothers came from france settled in Quebec and at some point each changed their name accept one.
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

You're very welcome. Yes, sometimes twins do take us by surprise in these records. Also I welcomed the opportunity to refresh my knowledge of French.
Erudita
stokkster1
Elite
Elite

Post by stokkster1 »

erudita74 wrote:You're very welcome. Yes, sometimes twins do take us by surprise in these records. Also I welcomed the opportunity to refresh my knowledge of French.
Erudita
Erudita, Does this record by chance say when they were born, like yesterday, today etc.?
Debbie
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

That info is not in the record, Debbie.

Erudita