Pietro Belsito

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Re: Pietro Belsito

Post by liviomoreno »

erudita74 wrote:Originally I was thinking he was from Cosenza Province and the town of Donnici Superiore. Also in Cosenza Province, the surname Quintieri exists, and in Donnici, the surname Belsito exists. I'm wondering if the town in the marriage record is just a misspelling. I also still think Ferranto is correct.

Erudita
If you check the birth indexes in Caltanissetta(http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0) you will see that the correct spelling is Ferrauto. :lol:
Belsitoj
Elite
Elite

Post by Belsitoj »

Thanks Livio. I see there is an Antonine Ferruto listed there but her name is Mariantonio as far as I can understand. Trying to understand why you think that would be here? Thanks
Joe
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Belsitoj wrote: I tried interpreting the marriage date on the link above but could only interpret the 18 and could not understand the rest of the marriage date(very frustrating for me). Can any of you read that?
The record looks to be dated 2 January 1874.
erudita74 wrote:Originally I was thinking he was from Cosenza Province and the town of Donnici Superiore. Also in Cosenza Province, the surname Quintieri exists, and in Donnici, the surname Belsito exists. I'm wondering if the town in the marriage record is just a misspelling. I also still think Ferranto is correct.

Erudita
Here's the link to the marriage publication which has written born Domini.
Belsitoj wrote:Thanks Livio. I see there is an Antonine Ferruto listed there but her name is Mariantonia as far as I can understand. Trying to understand why you think that would be here? Thanks
Joe
Me too - unless Domini - domains? is another word for saying that they were born in the town, but I really don't think this can be. I think it was possibly out of Italy but in a place that maybe still belonged to Italy at that time.
liviomoreno wrote:
erudita74 wrote:
If you check the birth indexes in Caltanissetta(http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0) you will see that the correct spelling is Ferrauto. :lol:
I'm still with Ferranto. :wink:

Angela
Belsitoj
Elite
Elite

Post by Belsitoj »

Thanks for your feedback Angela(and Livio). I guess the only way to really tell for sure the town is if I find more documents with their names on it (ie: another death or marriage certificate). Thanks for interpreting the date too Angela. I am going to keep trying to interpret these documents but it is hard when you don't know Italian words to even find them to interpret them. I figured the date on the marriage certificate was 187? something but did not feel comfortable with it.
Joe
Belsitoj
Elite
Elite

Post by Belsitoj »

Angela, I also meant to ask, you said "Here's the link to the marriage publication which has written born Domini" but I did not see a link??
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Belsitoj wrote:Angela, I also meant to ask, you said "Here's the link to the marriage publication which has written born Domini" but I did not see a link??
Fantastic point! (Sorry about that)

Here we go – it goes onto the next page:
http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0

Here is some of the translation:

Publication dated 1 January 1874

Pietro Antonio Belsito, aged 29, bracciale (farmhand/laborer), unmarried, born Domini and residing here, was the son of deceased Vincenzo Belsito, bracciale, who resided in Domini, and of Maria Quintini, cucitrice (seamstress), also residing Domini.

Mariantonia Ferranto, aged 29, unmarried, cucitrice, born and residing here, was the daughter of Michele F and Alberta Pollami, contadina, also residing here ......

Angela
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Belsitoj wrote: I am going to keep trying to interpret these documents but it is hard when you don't know Italian words to even find them to interpret them. I figured the date on the marriage certificate was 187? something but did not feel comfortable with it.
Joe
Joe, feel free to post the "links" here and we are happy to help with the translations. Just start up a new thread for each translation and name it Death Record No.... and the person's name. That way it is really easy to see that a record is needing translating. Otherwise the records get lost in long threads. If you are looking for a particular person and not having success then let us know and we can help you find. It is really tricky when you can't read the language and the script can also often be a real challenge to decipher. :)

Angela
Belsitoj
Elite
Elite

Post by Belsitoj »

THANK YOU so much. I really don't want to be a pain but I am so starved to learn more about my ancestors and I really appreciate your help. To me documenting all this would be like a gift to my kids/grandkids and future generations. Trying to find all this and trying to learn about my ancestors has really prompted me to write my life story my my future generations know about me.
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

You are very welcome. What a great gift!

Angela :)
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Vincenzo Belsito Birth Record

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Birth of Vincenzo Belsito Record No 789 born 24 September 1876, Caltanissetta, to Pietro Belsito, 47 yo, villico and Maria Antonia Ferranto, Via S.Lucia.

Side Note: On 7 September 1900 marries Agostina Duca in Caltanisetta.
You could look for their marriage record, it just may give more info. Then post the link and someone wil translate for you. :)
Here's the index: http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0

Angela
Belsitoj
Elite
Elite

Post by Belsitoj »

Thank you Angela. This Vincenzo is my grandfather. I had his birthdate but not his marriage date. I will try and find their marriage certificate. This is interesting because I was told my grandmother's maiden name was LaDuca. Should be interesting to find the actual certificate. Thanks, you are great!!!!
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Belsitoj wrote:Thank you Angela. This Vincenzo is my grandfather. I had his birthdate but not his marriage date. I will try and find their marriage certificate. This is interesting because I was told my grandmother's maiden name was LaDuca. Should be interesting to find the actual certificate. Thanks, you are great!!!!
Fantastic! It will be in date order and will show the Record No 149. The image (immagine) number will be different. I have seen it as Lo Duca, maybe also La Duca and also just Duca. La Duca - The Duke.

Re: Mariantonia's surname. I think that Livio is correct that the spelling is Ferrauto not Ferranto. Often it is so hard to distinguish been "u" and "n". The reason that he sited the indices is because there were several Ferrauto's there. ( It's amazing how things look clearer after a cup of coffee.)

Angela
Belsitoj
Elite
Elite

Post by Belsitoj »

Thanks Angela
Here is the link to their marriage certificate. If you can let me know any pertinent information I would appreciate it.
Joe
Belsitoj
Elite
Elite

Post by Belsitoj »

BTW, It looks like you are right Livio!!! I can clearly see the spelling of Ferrauto in this document.
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Marriage: Vincenzo Belsito and Agostina Duca

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Marriage No 149: Vincenzo Belsito, unmarried and Agostina Duca, unmarried
Caltanissetta: 7 September 1900

Groom: Vincenzo Belsito, unmarried, 24 yo, bracciante (farmhand/laborer – also known as bracciale and also spelt bracchiante), born and residing Caltanissetta, son of deceased Pietro, who had resided in Caltanissetta, and of Mariantonia Ferrauto, residing Caltanissetta.

Bride: Agostina Duca, unmarried, 17 yo, casalinga (housewife or domestic duties), born and residing in Caltanissetta, daughter of Salvatore (Duca) and Rosa Volpe, both residing Caltanissetta.

The banns were posted on Sunday, 26 August and 2 September of the current year.

The parents gave their consent to the marriage.

Your grandfather has signed the document but his bride was illiterate and unable to do so.

Angela