Pietro Belsito

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Belsitoj
Elite
Elite

Pietro Belsito

Post by Belsitoj »

Hello, I am hoping that someone can help me interpret this document. I can translate typed texted but am struggling with the script. I believe the year of his death is1897 but cannot understand the day and month. I am also interested in knowing if other important information is contained in the document. I attached two copies of the death certificate with different shading so hopefully you can read one or the other better.

-Day/Month of death in 1897
-Where he died
-Are his spouse and parents listed
-Cause of death

Any help would be appreciated. THANK YOU!
Joe
Attachments
Pietro Belsito-1897-11-28-Death Certificate-4 copy.jpg
Pietro Belsito-1897-11-28-Death Certificate-5 copy.jpg
erudita74
Master
Master

Re: Pietro Belsito

Post by erudita74 »

Here's some info from the record-

Pietro Belsito died in the town of Caltanissetta on the 28th of month? 1897. He was a 52 year old day laborer living in this town, but had been born in ? Superiore (I can't decipher the first word of this town). His parents were deceased Vincenzo (Belsito), a peasant who had lived in ? Superiore, and deceased Maria Quintieri, who had been a housewife in ? Superiore. He was the husband of ? Ferranti(o). Declarants were Michele Bruno, age 53?, a custodian/janitor, and Gioachino Politto, age 33, a day laborer, both living in Caltanissetta. Witnesses were Bartolo Pisello, age 47, and Giovanni Montalto, age 46, both gravediggers. Only the declarant Bruno signed below, as the others were illiterate.

No cause of death is given in the record. It's very rare to find a cause of death in a civil record.

Erudita
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Very well done, Erudita. Such a tricky record.

I'm reading November as the month and the wife was Mariantonia.

Angela
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

The record is here: http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0

Definitely November, the wife could be Mariantonia Ferrauto, mother's surname Quintini. No idea about ? Superiore...
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

The town looks like Andici Superiore/Superiare but maybe it's not in Italy?? ??
Angela
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Marriage Record No 6: Pietro Antonio Belsito e Mariantonia Ferranto:
http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0

Mariantonia's surname looks to be Ferranto. I am trying to understand where Pietro Antonio Belsito was born and where his parents were residing: Oamini? Could it be Oman?

Edit to Add: I think the word might be "domini" - domains?

Angela
Belsitoj
Elite
Elite

Post by Belsitoj »

Thank you sooo much Erudita, Angelo, Livio. I am really excited about finding out about my ancesters and when I run into stumbling blocks it gets frustrating. This has helped a lot. Thanks
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

I'm pretty sure the surname is Ferrauto.
The town looks like Domini but it does not exist...
Belsitoj
Elite
Elite

Post by Belsitoj »

I was told by some cousins that the name was Ferranto but you might be right. I didn't want to put any of their information into the tree until I knew for sure it was accurate so this information is great and I will include the document in the linked reference above. Not that I know how to read Italian(yet) but is the site in the reference link above a site anyone can get access to for research (the one that starts with antenati)?
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

Belsitoj wrote:...Not that I know how to read Italian(yet) but is the site in the reference link above a site anyone can get access to for research (the one that starts with antenati)?
Yes
Belsitoj
Elite
Elite

Post by Belsitoj »

Thanks Livio. Can anyone tell me from the Marriage Certificate who Pietro and Mariantonia's parents are? (Sorry to be a pain but you have no idea how exciting this is for me to find this information). Thanks again.
Joe
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

Pietro, aged 29, was the son of dec Vincenzo and Maria Quintini
Marianna, aged 29, was the daughter of Michele and Alberta Pollami
Belsitoj
Elite
Elite

Post by Belsitoj »

Thank you so much Livio. I really appreciate it.
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Originally I was thinking he was from Cosenza Province and the town of Donnici Superiore. Also in Cosenza Province, the surname Quintieri exists, and in Donnici, the surname Belsito exists. I'm wondering if the town in the marriage record is just a misspelling. I also still think Ferranto is correct.

Erudita
Belsitoj
Elite
Elite

Post by Belsitoj »

Thanks Erudita. I had on my records Andici Superiore but I am not sure where I got that from It was before I started documenting the information before I put it in my tree. I tried interpreting the marriage date on the link above but could only interpret the 18 and could not understand the rest of the marriage date(very frustrating for me). Can any of you read that?